• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quiet earth (was: Exercise module for Plettenberg railroad in 1/22.5 scale)

Started by Hydrostat, November 08, 2012, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Even the bottom of the chair that won't be seen (unless you are planning to model a robbery or murder scene in the office!?) is excellent. You and Helmut can go into the furniture business with the wonderful pieces.

finescalerr

Design-HSB

Quote from: Hydrostat on April 06, 2015, 12:40:12 PMI really would like to call a cnc mill my own, but there's no room for that at the moment.

There's a new item for the exercise module: the chairman's chair.

Hi Volker,

once again a great model of you, now I would just like to know is how it was.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Hydrostat

Thanks, guys!

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on April 06, 2015, 07:20:14 PMAh, I see they have giant coins in the EU too! It looks great on that full-size chair.   :)

Yes, we have them. We need them to pay for those coarse wood covered floors. You need some pretty darn big trees for that. And big money. That's it. :P

Quote from: Bill Gill on April 06, 2015, 08:52:31 PMEven the bottom of the chair that won't be seen (unless you are planning to model a robbery or murder scene in the office!?) is excellent. You and Helmut can go into the furniture business with the wonderful pieces.

Don't ask for a sense in that  ;).

Quote from: finescalerr on April 06, 2015, 11:57:21 PM
Most satisfactory. -- Russ

Thanks, Russ. I'm glad I overcame another hurdle. You're so graciously.

Quote from: Design-HSB on April 07, 2015, 02:16:17 AMHi Volker,
once again a great model of you, now I would just like to know is how it was.

Quote from: Marcel Ackle on April 08, 2015, 04:22:30 AMVolker, this chair is very nice!

Thanks, Helmut and Marcel!

It started with a 3D CAD drawing after I had found pictures and some measurments of a prototype I liked at Ebay. The CAD helps me to get a feeling of proportions and of course then provides some 2D drawings. The leftover was going to be done by hand so I confined myself with the CAD to the 'bigger' parts.

The vertical axle is a 2 mm steel rod. The brass sheath is made from a piece of brass tubing brazed to a 0.2 mm brass plate from scrap.

After cutting coarsely with a scissor and then chucking it with a M 2 screw to the Dremel I sanded it down to this shape. Remaining dimension of the plate is about 0.1 mm. Both the sheath and axle then were soldered to each other.

Next step were the crossed wooden feet. Base material is some 2 mm veneer sheet drenched with very thin CA and then sanded down for a smooth surface. Printouts of the drawings on self adhesive paper serve as jigs for cutting with a jigsaw.

I made one more to have some spare part.

The vertical rounded part where the feet are put into is made from three layers of veneer, again drenched with CA. This was necessary to have the grain running in the right direction. I drilled a 2 mm hole into the 'sandwich', cut around it coarsely with the jigsaw and then sanded it down to shape, again using the dremel as described before. The remaining piece was long enough to have a screw half in it, which I then could use as a handle for the vice when making the slots for the feet with a diamond cutting blade. There's no fixture involved; it's exactly enough when done carefully freehand.

Next step was glueing the feet to the slots and cutting the rounded part off at the upper side. The crossed reinforcement sheeting is cut with a small scissor from copper foil (again using a printout on self adhesive paper as jig) and has some needle punctures to suggest screws.

The rolls should be somewhat identic. Base material was some 2 mm brass strips. I positioned them with a gap to each other and brazed a half-rounded piece of brass to it (some junk from cast parts filed down to shape). Then I'd cut between the brass strips and filed the half-rounded parts from both sides a few tenths narrower than the brass strips are. Now those strips were soldered to each other, which can be seen here. The CNC guys please do look away for the next few pictures.

This makes it easy to file them all to nearly identic shape.

After drilling the holes for the vertical axles, cutting them off at same length and sanding them to shape the parts were unsoldered.

Some brass nails serve as vertical axles.

The reinforcement plate for the seat was made from some brass washers (again using the dremel for shaping) and a piece of 0.1 mm brass sheet soldered to it. The screws are o.6 mm copper rods with rounded ends. This time a printout would not have helped to much and so the holes were all drilled freehand by sense of proportion.

For the wooden armrests the jigs were helpful again.

The leather seats are made of some 2 and 3 mm hard foam board (I think it's something like the Sintra stuff Ray is using for his fabulous buildings). Again some 0.6 mm copper rods serve as distance bars and screws.

Coloring started with a mixture of Revell 364 silk matt green and 51 glossy blue enamels. When they were somewhat dry I sanded the surface to get rid of my brush traces and to have a surface accepting the next colors: a mixture of Lukas Cryl artists paint ultramarine deep and green umber. When this was dry i sanded the parts a bit and rubbed them with my fingertip to achieve some leather like surface.

That's it.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Bill Gill

Excellent!  The construction and the appearance are top notch. I hope the office only needs one chair!

Ray Dunakin

Thanks for the step-by-step! Very helpful information about a great piece of work!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Mr Potato Head

I have one in my office just like it! It's very comfortable  ;D
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Design-HSB

Hello Volker,

so thank you very much, now with the details of the construction it is an excellent building report.  :)
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Hydrostat

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen,

last weekend the exercise module was on display and in use at the annual Schenklengsfeld 1-22.5 scale module meeting. Helmut, who had the module with him for the last weeks since the Lahnstein exhibition told me that he screwed some board to the faces for transportation issues. Somewhere in this thread I talked about my transportation problems, which now, um, seem to be solved. I was more than surprised when the piece of board turned out to be some kind of furniture - well considered and solidly fabricated:

The subsequent segment fits to the upper shelf. The other shelf in front of the building gives room for all the detailing accessories, screws, power supplies and cables. The delicate model is much better protected than in its previous open consignment now. Well done, Helmut!

Unfortunately I didn't manage to take a chairman's chair photo  >:(. Instead we had a shooting with a Hohenlimburger Kleinbahn engine:

I really don't like those garish LED-lights seen at most of the vehicles. Unless I missed something there seem to be no LED lights that virtually have a look like lightbulbs.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

The travel case for the module is a brilliant piece of work, as is the module itself. Love the shots of the gondola riding on the transfer car, or whatever it's called.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World