• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quiet earth (was: Exercise module for Plettenberg railroad in 1/22.5 scale)

Started by Hydrostat, November 08, 2012, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Andreas Kuehnpast

Last Sunday I visited Plettenberg and the exhibition of the Quiet Earth modules by Volker. It was great to see the work I had been following on this forum for several years in reality. Seeing the excellent modeling with my own eyes and following the switching engine doing her work at the two industries modeled on the Quiet Earth modules so far added a completely new dimension.

I talked with Volker and we soon found a lot of common ground...   :)

It seems that of all the visitors I was the only member of this Forum attending the exhibition.  ;) For all the others I want to share two of the photos I took during my visit. Enjoy!  :D

finescalerr

Thank you for posting those photos. Volker's work is adequate, isn't it? -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Thanks for the photos! What a joy it must have been to see this fantastic model in person.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

SandiaPaul

Paul

Hydrostat

Thank you all very much for your interest and your kind words. It was a pleasure to meet Andreas and I'd like to add some pictures for the ones who weren't able to attend the exhibition - it took a while because conditions for taking pictures weren't too good according backdrop and so a bit of photoshoping was involved. It's been the first time for me to see all the four more or less 'new' segments assembled. The both inner ones aren't finished yet but i managed to have them in a somewhat presentable condition for the show.

Note the size of the tree (my first attempt in modeling one). It is a 20 m / 65 ft exemplar, just to give you an idea of the size of things in 1-22.5 scale, being roundabout 85 cm / 33.5'' tall.

My friend Toni and me had some kind of a 'tree challenge' the weeks and months before the exhibition. He made the left 'visiting guest tree' out of more than 4000 single 0.2 mm / 0.0078'' wires and just started making the foliage a few days ago. I was looking for a faster and more repeatable way but still processed some 1000 wires for my common hornbeam.

The following pictures were taken by Toni, the first showing both the unfinished segments:

I'm feeling very sorry for only lurking about here since months - I hope to find more time soon for participating in all the good and amazing stuff shown at the forum in the last weeks, as soon as my book project is finished.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Bill Gill

Wow, Great to see the whole Quiet Earth. Thanks for posting all the photos.
It looks terrific. And "branching out" to model your first trees worked very well!

Barney

Very nice - is the tram engine scratch built or a modified off the shelf job ?
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

Ray Dunakin

Magnificent! I can't even imagine how much patience it took to convert 4000 wires into a tree.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

It is a pleasure to see these photos. Exceptional work!

Bernhard

fspg2

Unfortunately, I could not visit the exhibition, but had recently been able to look at Volker's small works of art in person. As chance would have it, Toni had come too. :)

Volker_Toni_02 (fspg2)

There was a lot of looking at and talking shop....

Beize_01 (fspg2)

...it's amazing what the two have created in 1:22.5 :!:  And it's crazy how small this scale is - on the pictures in the forum, the things seem infinitely larger.

Beize_02 (fspg2)

Volker_Toni_01 (fspg2)

Whether the two trees, the pickling shop or the small Decauville steam locomotive, there were so many individual details to discover, ...the evening could have had a few more hours. ;)

URIELLE_01 (fspg2)

So Toni had himself scaled down as a locomotive driver - on the above picture he is just standing in the middle on the open four-axle truck. which Toni had presented here: click

If you want to see a little more about the exhibition in Plettenberg, you can watch the two YouTube videos from HechmeckeStudio:hauen (Unfortunately, it is spoken only in German!):

"Fotorealistischer Modellbau in Perfektion" in UHD/4K: klick

and

Eisenbahn Modellbau Maßstab 1:22,5 in UHD/4K: klick

Have fun!
Frithjof

Bill Gill

fspg2:it's crazy how small this scale is - on the pictures in the forum, the things seem infinitely larger.

It's funny, how things are perceived. I had just the opposite reaction and was surprised at how large evrything is. Modeling in HO scale with a tiny layout may affect my senses  ;)

finescalerr

That Decauville is simply gorgeous and I love it. Toni looks pretty good, too, from what we can see. -- Russ