• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quiet earth (was: Exercise module for Plettenberg railroad in 1/22.5 scale)

Started by Hydrostat, November 08, 2012, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artizen

With three stunned giants looking on in the background!

Superb work ....... again!

For an exercise module I have to say this is extraordinary modelling at its best.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Mr Potato Head

I know that it's an exercise module,...................... so when will you start on the real one?
Can't wait to see that!
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Ray Dunakin

Amazing! Thanks for posting the additional pics and info.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

This is totally insane ... in a good way! -- Russ

Design-HSB

Quote from: finescalerr on April 10, 2014, 12:53:34 AM
This is totally insane ... in a good way! -- Russ
Hi Russ,

how do you known what Volker said to me, when I showed him the lamps.

In any case, Volker and I have much pleasure in the result.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

NE Brownstone

Wow!  Most awesome.  If the three gentle men in the the window on the other page were standing a few feet back, you would never know it was a model.
Russ
The other, other Russ

BKLN

Hydrostat

Hi,

I'm back from Dortmund. Had a really nice time meeting a lot of Buntbahn members. Unfortunately the finescalerrs turned their backs on me. So what ;).

Do you really think that's insane?

Did i ever mention that I provided a center punch for drilling out the switch to get it working?

Quote from: Mr Potato Head on April 09, 2014, 05:45:25 PM
I know that it's an exercise module,...................... so when will you start on the real one?
Can't wait to see that!
MPH

Have a look here: http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=2257.0

Your friendly words are very much appreciated. But - you all work at the highest standards. Otherwise Uncle Russ would have shown you the door. Wouldn't he? Uncle Russ?

Some snapshots:

Evil eye to the janitor.

He forgot to close the door.

Now the train can run.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

artizen

This is superb modelling! What the hell would the finescalers know anyway?

I always get into trouble at shows because my layouts never follow a "prototype". Here you have not only followed a prototype but shown that your standard far outshines nearly everyone else in the room. I think they're just jealous!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Hydrostat

Thanks, Ian.

Regarding Helmut's lighting there's nothing left to be added ... aside of this:

A bulb was missing.

It's a FUD printed part glued to the LED.

Please don't mind the paintwork ... I'll fix that.

Here's how the single parts congregate. Helmut was able to mill the inner hole of the lampshade CNC based, using a jig. Unfortunately the feed-through for the stand had to be drilled by hand. There's too much deviation within (in, on, with, at) the cast white metal parts. There's only 0.1 mm wall thickness left at the thinnest part after drilling so I had to do that by hand. The cast lampshade part already has a center mark for that.

I used a pen drill for that. Drill diameter is 0.6 mm in 1/32 and 0.8 mm in 1/22.5 scale.

Helmut milled a jig for the stands, which I also used for cutting the injection needles.

The deburred segments fit to the jig ...

and I bend them with the collet jaw to the jig, which has a somewhat tighter radius than the prototype for compensation of the rebounding.

That's it.

Cheers,
Volker

Ray Dunakin

The bulb is the icing on the cake!

Thanks for the how-to photos and info.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Actually, the bulb is the CANDLE on the cake. And the resulting lamp is neither simple nor ordinary. -- Russ

Hydrostat

I don't want to get you bored with this darned lamp, so please zap away if you're expecting a new item.

Color adhesion on white metal seems to be a problem. It's less or equal zero. Maybe some primer may help, but there'll be an additional layer to hide details.

At a tiffany supplier I found a blackening fluid for pewter. Boiling the items in some water with detergent helps to make them fat free. I then dunked them into the fluid until they went black. The fluid changes to a rusty brown soon after that. It's interesting to add a white metal part to this "rusty" fluid: It doesn't get black, but rusty!

This is after blackening:

I found the fluid here - this surely isn't the producer: http://www.ebay.de/itm/250650591700?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Now color really sticks to the material!

I didn't like the different gloss levels, so I used a felt disc to polish it a bit.

If the blackening worked well and didn't get too brownish one can even polish the blackened surface. This gives an phantastic impression, but the surface of the cast items mostly is too coarse ...

I'm going to stop writing about that lamp now. Unless I get the switch working. :P

Cheers,
Volker

finescalerr

fspg2

A few days ago Volker visited me. He delivered a package to me.

Safely packed, I got his phone and a desk lamp.

It is always amazing how well Helmut and Volker handeld these really small parts.

Although I recognize that the macro shots shows all the details and small errors adamant, but the size of these parts now lying in front of me, I felt ( as so often ): It looks darned small!

Tischlampe_1zu22_5_01 (fspg2)

Tischlampe_1zu22_5_02 (fspg2)

The two polished parts give the surface and the shine of the prototyp again convincingly!

The white design of the dial is successful, it doesn´t matter that the numbers are not readable.

Tischlampe_1zu22_5_03 (fspg2)

As well there were still an archaeological dig on the table. Had the ravages of time left behind its marks on the parts??

If I remember, the telephone was made of Bakelite ... but the surface here looks rusty...

Volker, now you have to tell us the details.

Tischlampe_1zu22_5_04 (fspg2)

How does that grab you: The fingers will press on the 0.3mm switch ... its may be a bloody  thing... perhaps an electronic touch switch hidden in the desk under the lamp will help....

Anyway, I'm curious about the result !
Frithjof