• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quiet earth (was: Exercise module for Plettenberg railroad in 1/22.5 scale)

Started by Hydrostat, November 08, 2012, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydrostat

For those who are interested in topics beyond mental health:

The switch works via a flipflop circuit with a NE555, similar to this one. Thanks again, Helmut!

(Picture by Helmut Schmidt)

The circuit fits into the desk's cabinet. By chance, I have to admit.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Hydrostat

Hi,

the exercise module is on display together with the Sauerlandmodule by Wolf Groote from saturday 2014-10-04 to sunday 05 in Germany at the Sauerländer Kleinbahn in Plettenberg-Hüinghausen.

I would be very happy to meet there anyone from this world wide spread forum  :).

Cheers,
Volker

jim s-w

Jim Smith-Wright

Hydrostat

Jim,

I hope I got you right: At the exhibition the module is connected to the segmental model railway by Wolf Groote which allows us to show the former operating procedure of the Plettenberger Kleinbahn with the exchange yard, where the standard gauge wagons roll onto the typical Rollwagen, a short stretch of track and the exercise module representing one of the plants along the line.

It's been stored in Plettenberg (some hours away from me) since the last exhibition in April so there was no process at the model itself.

Cheers,
Volker

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Hydrostat

Hi,

some impressions taken at the event.

The loco and wagons were a loan by Stephan Weber. This shows how it may have looked at the Hohenlimburger Kleinbahn.

There are some more pictures in this gallery at buntbahn. Unfortunately I wasn't able to perform the scale working light switch because the power adaptor passed away shortly before ... Next time more about that (the light switch, not passing away).

Cheers,
Volker

nk

Beautiful work Volker. I like your groundwork so much... I think it stands on its own.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Thanks Narayan, Russ and Ray!

Socket, plug, desk and lamp with working switch found their place in the building. Unfortunately the plug broke and I had to solder it again which didn't make it more beautiful, but at least it works again. It was worth the fun to find out if it was possible to build those 1:22.5 scale working items, but they are very delicate. Any idea how to fix the desk easily removable but transport tight to the flooring? I'm thinking about neodym magnets.

Quote from: Chuck Doan on September 25, 2014, 05:17:24 PM
I know this kind of insanity. Feed it.

I do. Here are some ambience snapshots (I didn't care about backdrop and dust ...).

Cheers,
Volker

Stoker

The wall outlet and plug are creamy frosting on this work of purely insane, over the top modeling. I love it.

When I saw the picture above the desk with a man smoking (you or someone else on the build team?) I thought of this scene from Airplane:

Just need a matching scale figure sitting at the desk smoking.....

Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis

Chuck Doan

I think the magnets should work well, but be careful they can be amazingly strong.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Hydrostat

Thanks, James, but this isn't over the top at all. At best it's finescalerr standard.

Quote from: Stoker on October 14, 2014, 12:57:22 PMJust need a matching scale figure sitting at the desk smoking.....

Good idea, but I think the room with the pictures on the walls is telling more about its user if there's no person in. And I haven't seen a convincing scale figure yet, that made me think of it being real or not.

Interesting point about the Airplane picture: They didn't manage to get exactly the same posture and image detail and angle. Nowadays this is no problem, but then they had to rearrange everything for shooting after taking and processing the photo. Not to mention mounting a scaled-down version into the bigger one ... 

Quote from: Chuck Doan on October 14, 2014, 09:54:46 PMI think the magnets should work well, but be careful they can be amazingly strong.

Chuck, I gave it a try and grabbed the drill. Somewhat cramped there ... and the darned Formica below the flooring was pretty hard  ::).

The magnets in the floor ...

... and desk work well. I think they don't touch each other because of the floor fibers and so the desk doesn't retain to tight ...

I added a desk pad and a phone. I think the pad is too thick and the surface still too coarse. This time I glued the phone cables down with CA, but even if I use a pinpoint it's still too much liquid and leaves some visible stains. I use a very thin CA. Any suggestion how to do it better?

Cheers,
Volker

finescalerr

For the desk blotter, maybe some kind of art paper. You could even use thinner (regular laser printer) paper triangles in the corners for those leather "pockets" that retain a new cover. Uhu makes at least one rubber based or otherwise flexible glue. You could apply it with a toothpick to the phone cord and roll away any excess. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World