• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quiet earth (was: Exercise module for Plettenberg railroad in 1/22.5 scale)

Started by Hydrostat, November 08, 2012, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Design-HSB

Hi Volker,

since there is only one current problem, what you müstest solve my view necessarily for me.

None of the window is securely closed, because all window handles are to open.
Because of that no paper is safe even for caution on the table and the desk lower bearing is designed especially schweer.

If I can help you, read it me know.

For there is no spec, only challenges.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Peter_T1958

Hi Volker

Wonderful! Your work perfectly meets the spirit of the late 50ies/early 60ies in Western Europe. And of course I have found some similar scene on my harddisk of the regional StSS narrow-gauge railway.

What I take from the photo is: tidy office, spartan furniture, the obligatory desk pad, only some stamps and first of all a lot less paperwork!
I would leave it in a very puristic look - some books here, some maps there and ... may be some stamps (fully operational of course ;D) on the desk.

Cheers, Peter

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Hydrostat

Thanks for your suggestions!

Russ, you'll have to repeat that UHU rubber thing once again :D. It takes three times for me to understand :(. This time I used glossy paper and colored crepe tape for the corners.

Peter, thank you for this very atmospheric picture. The circumstances (company size and income) may vary, but it shows clearly how 'clean' desks have been half a century before. I'll add some more items like an ashtray and a stamp bracket one at a time. Like this one.

I changed the window handle's size and position. At the cost of three bad scratches over three windows. So what. It's an exercise module.

The fountain pen isn't completely blackened; I'll have to fix that but noticed it not until I saw the macro shot. The quill is v-shaped but I wasn't able to take a picture because it always rolled on it's side. Length is 7 mm, diameter 0.8 mm. I made it from a piece of 0.8 mm brass tubing, which I sanded down on one end and rounded it on the other, using the proxxon drill as lathe. The quill is a 0.45 mm hypodermic needle inserted to the tubing, which had to be drilled out to 0.5 mm for that. The bracket is some 0.3 mm spring wire brazed into the tubing.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hydrostat

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on October 17, 2014, 03:28:15 PM
Wow, totally insane! (In a good way, of course.)

Thanks, Ray. Don't know where this will end up. But I hope I'll be in good company. During visiting hours at least.

Quote from Helmut at Buntbahn:
Quote from: Helmut SchmidtMaybe you can coat the pen with glossy black varnish so it rather looks like a Montblanc .
Maybe baby.

Schönen Gruß
Volker

artizen

This thread is scary!!!!!! The pen could be made to work as well - as it uses a hypo needle it must be possible to put liquid through the tube? Just kidding.

This whole "exercise module" is way beyond my talents but one that I follow each time a new post is made. The quality is unbelievable - just what standards are you hoping to set on the real thing? Most modelling shows would accept the "exercise module" as being better than most finished layouts.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

finescalerr

Beyond mere words.

I spoke to Volker and Helmut today via Skype. I must disappoint everybody and admit both have a very good sense of humor. Helmut's English is almost as bad as my German but Volker translated very well. They have talent, brains, and humor -- typical of most members of this forum. -- Russ

Hydrostat

Hi,

Quote from: artizen on October 18, 2014, 05:53:20 PM
This thread is scary!!!!!! The pen could be made to work as well - as it uses a hypo needle it must be possible to put liquid through the tube? Just kidding.

Quote from: artizen on October 18, 2014, 05:53:20 PMMost modelling shows would accept the "exercise module" as being better than most finished layouts.

I nearly can't cope with inquirys ;). Come on, Ian. I'm happy if it stands most G scale layouts. For sure it takes an inkstand for that.

Quote from: artizen on October 18, 2014, 05:53:20 PMThis whole "exercise module" is way beyond my talents but one that I follow each time a new post is made. The quality is unbelievable - just what standards are you hoping to set on the real thing?

I really don't know. It just happens to me and I don't know where this will end up. Indeed I'm dissatisfied with some results - and at the same time there's this danger of never finishing an object. As long as the finished object is the aim ... 

Cheers,
Volker

Hauk

I really don't know. It just happens to me and I don't know where this will end up. Indeed I'm dissatisfied with some results - and at the same time there's this danger of never finishing an object. As long as the finished object is the aim ... 

Cheers,
Volker   

It seems that dissatisfaction is the mother of all improvement!

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Ray Dunakin

A working light switch on a desk lamp, now a working fountain pen. Mind=boggled.

"Don't call me out, Ian"    LOL!!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

artizen

A working model pen is the icing on the cake!

Exceptionnel!!!!!!!!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

finescalerr

Such accolades are excessive. Volker merely displays competent modeling skills. The work is satisfactory. -- Russ

mad gerald

Quote from: Hauk on October 28, 2014, 02:04:52 PM
... on one hand: for sure  ... but IMHO on the other hand in could lead to burn-out as well ...

Cheers

Hauk

Quote from: mad gerald on October 29, 2014, 12:45:14 AM
... on one hand: for sure  ... but IMHO on the other hand in could lead to burn-out as well ...

Cheers

Agreed, burn-out is the scarred side of the coin...

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Hydrostat

Quote from: Hauk on October 28, 2014, 02:04:52 PMIt seems that dissatisfaction is the mother of all improvement!

There are so many different ways. Claim. Trying. Coincidence. Deception. ...

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on October 28, 2014, 02:51:38 PM
A working light switch on a desk lamp, now a working fountain pen. Mind=boggled.
"Don't call me out, Ian"    LOL!!

I'm glad at least YOU could obviously laugh at it, Ray!

Quote from: Hauk on October 28, 2014, 02:04:52 PM
Cheers

Quote from: Hauk on October 29, 2014, 02:07:12 AM
Cheers
Agreed, burn-out is the scarred side of the coin...

Don't loose your humor.

Quote from: artizen on October 28, 2014, 03:31:02 PMA working model pen is the icing on the cake!
Exceptionnel!!!!!!!!

Oh no.  I thought using the same picture as base would clearly show my forgery.

Quote from: finescalerr on October 29, 2014, 12:17:21 AM
Such accolades are excessive. Volker merely displays competent modeling skills. The work is satisfactory. -- Russ

You're so right, Russ.

Volker, writing those sentences from deep down the corner. But it was worth the joke.
(Indeed I tried to write with a needle of same diameter, but it doesn't work for different reasons - and no way I would be able to write such tiny letters. I simply scanned my writing and scaled it down to mount it to the picture.)