• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quiet earth (was: Exercise module for Plettenberg railroad in 1/22.5 scale)

Started by Hydrostat, November 08, 2012, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Design-HSB

the frightening is the Volker, for example, in the German BBF came forum or rather rather not receive resonances.
For some such already praise each other out there, it's embarrassing.
Especially since their models do not even meet a fraction of the quality of peoples.

Therefore, Volker please keep it up.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Hydrostat

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on December 22, 2014, 08:34:22 PM
Very nice. Reminds me a little of Narayan's street scenes.

Thanks, Ray. I think Narayan's reality related street scenes are far more detailed than this free lance design, which is rather guided by a prototype situation.

Quote from: finescalerr on December 23, 2014, 12:07:55 AMVolker was reluctant to post the images because the module was more for operation than display and thus beneath his usual standards. I think we all would agree the quality is terribly low. Yes? Anyone? Oh, well. -- Russ

Russ, thanks for outing me as compliment fisher :-*. I told you that this project doesn't reach the quality I've shown in 'Exercise module: Plettenberg narrow gauge light railroad' and 'A glimpse of the Plettenberger Kleinbahn' and for that I hesitated to show it here. Our propulsion is called improvement here, isn't it?

Quote from: artizen on December 23, 2014, 03:07:45 PM
If that is a low standard, then it makes my attempts complete rubbish! The module is so far ahead of the average standard of show displays in Australia that it would definitely win all the prizes!

Thanks, Ian - but what I said above ... Oh boy, seems I have to move to Australia for a glamour life with thong girls :D.

Quote from: Design-HSB on December 24, 2014, 01:24:22 AM
the frightening is the Volker, for example, in the German BBF came forum or rather rather not receive resonances.
For some such already praise each other out there, it's embarrassing. Especially since their models do not even meet a fraction of the quality of peoples. Therefore, Volker please keep it up.

That's why we met here, Helmut.

Some explanations about the segmental layout "Sauerland-Segmentanlage": Owner is Wolf Groote, whom I mentioned before as an author who has written books about some Sauerland narrow gauge railways. The layout is oriented toward prototype situations from two narrow gauge lines in the Sauerland area, the 'Plettenberger Kleinbahn' and the 'Hohenlimburger Kleinbahn', which had a similar kind of purpose and operation. The Plettenberg line closed down 1959, but the Hohenlimburger Kleinbahn ran until 1983.

There were some layout changes over the time due to presentation issues. This is the former layout plan

and this is the current version with improved track plan and longer routes for servicing the plant at the 'exercise module'

Neither track plan nor dimensions correspond to the prototype, but we tried to get an impression of two situations at least: The Rollwagen exchange yard from Hohenlimburg and the loco shed from Plettenberg-Eiringhausen. The latter is situated on the upper left wing's segments, the former on the vertical segments. The exercise module is situated in the lower right wing. Nearly all the trackage (Code 250) and pointwork is custom made. Green stands for standard gauge, magenta for metre gauge. The main aim is to show this special kind of operation on a working layout. Visitors' area is greenish, operating area pink-colored.

Here are some pics of the exchange yard segment:

And of the subsequent segment:

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Marc988

Hi Volker,

thanks for posting the pics and the links to the Buntbahn forum.

Eventhough you might feel that it does not match the level of your exercise module, I think it still is very impressive.

Also your update and specifically the info on Buntbahn including the link to the "Halle Industriebahn" triggered me blow the dust of my Hohenlimburg ideas.
I lost inspiration due to the fact I could not find locomotive power either prototypical or as a basis to build further on for the concept in 1:32. The pics in the "Halle Industriebahn" of the Ko(f) II however could be a nice basis since these available in 1:32.

So thank you for the update and inspiration and I am looking forward to further updates.

Regards,
Marc

BKLN

Volker,
I think these are wonderful modules, very inspiring, because they show how much skill and artistic eye is needed to make such an mundane environment of "just some tracks and cobblestones" come alive!
It is one thing to impress the viewer with gadgets like little telephones and working desk lamps, but to deliver a realistic looking track environment is an example of the "quiet power" of a true master!

Excellent work, Sir!

Christian

Peter_T1958

Quote from: Design-HSB on December 24, 2014, 01:24:22 AM
For some such already praise each other out there, it's embarrassing.
Especially since their models do not even meet a fraction of the quality of peoples.

Therefore, Volker please keep it up.

Masterpieces such as yours are seldom widely praised except in communities as this one. I've often noticed that and wondered why. Perhaps it is because few people get to the level where you are, and therefore simply do not have the eye for it. In other words: If you are building trains from Duplo/Lego parts for instance, you have a quite different perspective and view of things and so it's not meant badly ...

Cheers,
Peter

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

finescalerr

Lawton Maner

The sad truth is that the loudest critics can't nail flex track to plywood and glue dyed sawdust to it. 

The fact that this group sits and either drools into their beer or silently cries because the bar has been set so high that matching it is VERY hard.

Please, keep us informed in the coming year.

artizen

Hi Volker

Thanks, Ian - but what I said above ... Oh boy, seems I have to move to Australia for a glamour life with thong girls.

Today is 34 degrees C and the thong girls are down at the beach about 10 minutes away. (Turn right at the end of the street for Doug's Fish and Chips on the beach.)

You seriously undersell your abilities. This is just stunning. More please.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: BKLN on December 30, 2014, 06:15:39 AM
Volker,
I think these are wonderful modules, very inspiring, because they show how much skill and artistic eye is needed to make such an mundane environment of "just some tracks and cobblestones" come alive!
It is one thing to impress the viewer with gadgets like little telephones and working desk lamps, but to deliver a realistic looking track environment is an example of the "quiet power" of a true master!

Excellent work, Sir!

Well said! I agree completely.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Oh, my heavens! Did somebody mention beautiful girls in thong bikinis, each eager to cater to my every whim? -- Russ

Hydrostat

Thanks, Marc, Christian, Peter, Russ, Lawton (Lawton?) and Ray,

I surrender. It is high standard.

But not quite at my usual level  ;D.

Marc, great to hear you're back on the project. I think the Köf would be well adapted for a not too complicated conversion on a free lance layout. I'm looking forward to read something about the project!

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on December 30, 2014, 09:10:43 AM
Masterpieces such as yours are seldom widely praised except in communities as this one. I've often noticed that and wondered why. Perhaps it is because few people get to the level where you are, and therefore simply do not have the eye for it. In other words: If you are building trains from Duplo/Lego parts for instance, you have a quite different perspective and view of things and so it's not meant badly ...

Peter, your assessment unfortunately already became reality ... at least here we don't have to read about modified Playmobil trains. I mean badly done. Really badly done. Thanks, Russ, for keeping an eye on quality at this forum.

Quote from: Lawton Maner on December 30, 2014, 03:03:16 PM
The sad truth is that the loudest critics can't nail flex track to plywood and glue dyed sawdust to it. The fact that this group sits and either drools into their beer or silently cries because the bar has been set so high that matching it is VERY hard. Please, keep us informed in the coming year.

Lawton, you're surely right. The biggest advantage of this forum is the quality standard of all shown modeling. I think your words match Helmut's. There's always a sender and a recipient. Be lucky if they get in tune. And yes, I will.

Quote from: artizen on December 30, 2014, 05:07:26 PM
You seriously undersell your abilities. This is just stunning. More please.

I promise. I'm referring to the 'more please' part.

Quote from: finescalerr on December 31, 2014, 12:30:45 AM
Oh, my heavens! Did somebody mention beautiful girls in thong bikinis, each eager to cater to my every whim? -- Russ

Russ, that was me. But if those australian thong girls do only cater to your every whim I'm not quite sure if it sells to move there. Damn.

Cheers,
Volker

Design-HSB

Hello Volker,

so when I read this here, then my model building missing right.
I was just there with my little bitch and have looked longingly up at my hobby room.
Frithjof, Volker and I communicate so directly.
Nevertheless, this forum brings me a lot especially, but also by many others of you who make realistic Model after model and have process the endeavor to improve it. I like that, I'm interested in and I enjoy. Make me sad that for which Model is only good if it all possible cost nothing and was achieved with low overhead allow. The then but not really heard the result into a forum for upscale modeling, but they do not see then.

Volkers alternate work in this case is an absolutely successful compromise despite everything and is entitled for me in this forum.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Hydrostat

Hi all,

some time ago in this thread I had shown an anvil block of a normal drop hammer; back then my reference was a very bad photo from the beginning of 20th century, which does explain some detail mistakes but not my completetly wrong estimate of proportions

Such an anvil block rather looks like that:

My friend Wolf took some dimensions of an scrap anvil block, took photos and even found some technical drawings, which allowed to make precise CAD-Drawings. This composition shows the main parts of those hammers which still can be found at some drop forge plants:

The anvil block and the iron hammer running between the both rods carry one part of the forging die each. The rods are held together with the slotted part. There's a leather strap running through the slot, driven bei a clutched drum, which allows to raise and release the hammer. The vertical rods are fixed with more rods and wedges via the openings in the anvil block.

The model is going to serve as freight or only just delivered good at the plant's yard. I relinquish the additional mechanical parts; some wooden boxes may indicate them. The anvil block is predestined for 3D printing because of the slots and inner intersections. A guy from buntbahn bought an own 3D printer and offered to print parts for members for a very fair price:

I think HR Giger might have got a real kick out of those "ingrown" parts ...
The main body is hollow with a wall thickness of app. 3 mm.

The visible layers don't matter for this purpose and size. As I did before I used silicon carbide F360 mixed to silver Revell enamel and thinner. This allows to hide the layer structure with the particles, but the details like the lettering remain visible.

Next step was a layer of slate powder in a solution of water and PVA.

Then sanding everything with fine sandpaper to even the brush traces and adding some rust traces with gouache.

Well, I didn't like the result at all. I missed the dark tone from back then. What went wrong? I simply used the wrong silver color. After applying another layer of Revell enamel 91, dull clear varnish 2 and quite a lot of thinner there was the desired dark tone. This time I abdicated the rust traces and restricted myself to some Terra di Sienna (natural) pigments.

The cavity is filled with the same putty used for the cobblestones in the last posts.This gives some reasonable weight to the model.

Cheers,
Volker

finescalerr

Clever and thoughtful engineering, good choice of tools, outstanding assembly, superior results. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World