• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quiet earth (was: Exercise module for Plettenberg railroad in 1/22.5 scale)

Started by Hydrostat, November 08, 2012, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Sami

finescalerr

Great modeling as usual but, for stealing the name "Sergeant Hightower" from a movie ... go stand in the corner! -- Russ

Bill Gill

Excellent as always. But, if it truly is modeled on knockdown furniture, where are the 2-3 leftover parts/desk? (Perhaps in the back of one of the drawers?)

Peter_T1958

Hi Volker

I may well remember, that back in my aircraft modeling times, there were a lot of different woodgrain techniques. One of them ist the use of oil paint over a acrylic basie. How did YOU do that phantastic worn-out tabletops?

Cheers, Peter

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

Stoker

Shaaazaam! I had my doubts about how convincing the legs would be based on seeing the assembled but still raw burnouts, but you really got it right.
Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis

Hydrostat

Thanks guys.

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on October 27, 2017, 06:05:43 PM
WOW!!! That looks fantastic. I love the subtle wood grain.

From a distance it may look alright. Honestly I avoided closeups because they'll reveal the grain as brush traces. I plan to hide some not to well parts of the desks with blueprints.

Quote from: finescalerr on October 28, 2017, 12:37:09 AM
Great modeling as usual but, for stealing the name "Sergeant Hightower" from a movie ... go stand in the corner! -- Russ

Don't tell IKEA. They may start a new campaign with movie base named furniture. And for sure they won't remunerate me for the idea. In that special case I don't set no great store by being trucked for the idea, too.

Quote from: Bill Gill on October 28, 2017, 05:28:54 AM
Excellent as always. But, if it truly is modeled on knockdown furniture, where are the 2-3 leftover parts/desk? (Perhaps in the back of one of the drawers?)

:D. The fourth desk IS the leftover part.

Quote from: Peter_T1958 on October 28, 2017, 08:42:24 AM
Hi Volker

I may well remember, that back in my aircraft modeling times, there were a lot of different woodgrain techniques. One of them ist the use of oil paint over a acrylic basie. How did YOU do that phantastic worn-out tabletops?

Cheers, Peter

That's exactly what I've done. I started with two layers of Revell 36 382 wood brown silk matt acrylic color and added some three or four layers of Winsor & Newton Griffin Alkyd colour Burnt Sienna, slightly thinned with white spirits. A first attempt with a somewhat stiffer brush resulted in to strong stripes and so another attempt (and additional layers) with a wide soft flat brush led to the result seen here. Alkyd colors remain somewhat translucent, which adds to the polished wood appearance. I didn't like working with them during my arts studies, because it didn't fit my kind of painting, but nowadays i love them for the depth they bring more and more with each layer.
The tabletops were cut from MDF which has a rather rough texture/surface compared to cardboard. The worn out effect at the edges results from grabbing the desks with my latex gloves covered fingers although the English gentlemen haven't been dry completely, which takes a week or so ...

Cheers,
Volker

I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Hydrostat

From february 16 to 18 there's an exhibition of contemporary art photography in the town of Duesseldorf, Germany. I'm going to show photographies mostly relating to the 'Quiet earth' project; please search the site for 'Morello'.

English version:
http://www.duesseldorfphotoweekend.de/?lg=en

German version:
http://www.duesseldorfphotoweekend.de/?lg=de

Quotation: 'The studio collective Morello consists of an informal association of artists who are using the spaces in a collaborative and multifunctional manner for both work and exhibition purposes. A shared trait of their respective work is found in a common interest in the aspects of modelling.'

Cheers,
Volker

finescalerr

A former forum member, Ken Hamilton, and one we recently heard from, Narayan, have sold dioramas though art shows and apparently the patrons consider their work sculptures. No reason you can't get an international reputation as an artist, too. -- Russ

1-32

hi Volker.
have a great weekend, love contemporary photography such a record of personalities habits history and habits.
cheers Kim

Hydrostat

It was a very interesting experience with a lot of inspiring conversations. There were nearly 1.000 visitors within those three days. Two of them asked, if the pictures were taken of models. No one else got it. Most of the people thought they were made using tilt shift lenses. Rik Neu_West (Uwe Alexander Kirsten), an artist exhibiting at the same place, showed blown up pictures of flagstones, which somehow matched my topic very well:

Photography: Uwe Alexander Kirsten

It didn't 'help' to have this chair exhibited nearby; people looked at the pictures, discovered the chair and said 'look, that's funny'. I had to tell a lot about miniatures, but I'm very happy that a lot of people liked the pictures without initially understanding, what they see.

Photography: Uwe Alexander Kirsten

Pictures are photo prints on Fuji Crystal Archive glossy paper, mounted to Alu Dibond (a sandwich material consisting of aluminum covers and a plastic sheet).

Volker

Design-HSB

Hi Volker,

maybe you like to present us the pictures shown separately. Because your work is simply great, just on the overview, unfortunately, not recognizing what you showed. I would have presented a picture from the office over the Chair. The picture of the lantern is also uniquely beautiful, only there some probably lacked the connection to the model and no light has gone up, as one says in German.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

finescalerr

Your work belongs in an art museum.

It is easy to understand why many people might never realize the photos are of miniatures. I presume some thought you built a couple of miniatures of what they thought were full size objects in your photos.

Russ

Mr Potato Head

My desk chair is the exact model ! It's a 50's classic green vinyl my wife hates it! I love it!
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Bill Gill

I agree with Russ, I'll bet most people thought you made a model of what was in one of your presumably full-size photos. They "saw" what they thought they were seeing. I would take it as the highest form of compliment: the viewers never even remotely thought the photos were of models.