• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quiet earth (was: Exercise module for Plettenberg railroad in 1/22.5 scale)

Started by Hydrostat, November 08, 2012, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1-32

hi Volker how are perhaps the photos are a bit lost in such a room but your chair , a real stand out in 3 d form ,great
cheers kim

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

nk

Hi Volker, I think the photos look fantastic. They show things in a way that you cant see on a model, and also have their own atmosphere. There is a photographer, David Leventhal,  who has based his entire career of photographing models (very clearly models). I am just letting you know you are in good company. Congratulations on the exhibition and the attendance.
Narayan
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Hydrostat

Thanks a lot for your kind words!

Quote from: Design-HSB on February 21, 2018, 03:40:55 AM
Hi Volker,

maybe you like to present us the pictures shown separately. Because your work is simply great, just on the overview, unfortunately, not recognizing what you showed. I would have presented a picture from the office over the Chair. The picture of the lantern is also uniquely beautiful, only there some probably lacked the connection to the model and no light has gone up, as one says in German.

I've shown more or less all pictures from the exhibition in this Quiet earth thread. You can have a look at the 10 elected ones here: https://www.flickr.com/people/127693441@N06/.

Quote from: finescalerr on February 21, 2018, 11:47:51 AM
Your work belongs in an art museum.
It is easy to understand why many people might never realize the photos are of miniatures. I presume some thought you built a couple of miniatures of what they thought were full size objects in your photos.
Russ

Interesting idea, but most peopel didn't connect the chair to the pictures at all.

Quote from: Mr Potato Head on February 21, 2018, 12:52:57 PM
My desk chair is the exact model ! It's a 50's classic green vinyl my wife hates it! I love it!
MPH

Please provide a picture of it  ;D! That would make a nice arrangement with both chairs ...

Quote from: Bill Gill on February 21, 2018, 03:06:29 PM
I agree with Russ, I'll bet most people thought you made a model of what was in one of your presumably full-size photos. They "saw" what they thought they were seeing. I would take it as the highest form of compliment: the viewers never even remotely thought the photos were of models.

You may be right. Indeed I'm not after the superficial impact, that it has been modeled in a "good" or "convincing" way. Deception of perception rather is the game: To see another reality than people think to see.

Quote from: 1-32 on February 21, 2018, 04:31:47 PM
hi Volker how are perhaps the photos are a bit lost in such a room but your chair , a real stand out in 3 d form ,great
cheers kim

Yeah, next aim is Tate Gallery  :D.

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on February 22, 2018, 10:02:55 PM
Very cool!

Ray, thank you!

Quote from: nk on February 24, 2018, 07:41:52 PM
Hi Volker, I think the photos look fantastic. They show things in a way that you cant see on a model, and also have their own atmosphere. There is a photographer, David Leventhal,  who has based his entire career of photographing models (very clearly models). I am just letting you know you are in good company. Congratulations on the exhibition and the attendance.
Narayan

Narayan, you pretty much nailed it. That's why to me photography is an inextricable part of my work. I got a bit tired of showing the model at model shows, exactly because of that point. I had a look at David Leventhals work. It seems there are even more artists around relating to modeling, somehow. Do you know Thomas Demand's work?

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Hydrostat

I'm sure here's the right place to post this: of course everybody planned a trip to Germany this week anyway. 'Quiet earth' and some of my photo art together with Wolf Dietrich Grootes 'Sauerland-Segmentanlage'is on show at Intermodellbau in Dortmund from April 4-7, stand D16, hall 4.  Would be great to meet somebody from the finescalerr community out there. Don't miss to visit Marcel Ackle at stand A36, hall 4 (Verlagsgruppe Bahn VGB), where he's goimg to show his working process live and sign his books.

finescalerr

Please report on the show and include a few photos. I am curious whether the people there were as impressed with your display as we are. -- Russ

Hydrostat

For an exhibition next year the organizer asked to have some train movements on the model. I first planned to add a simple black painted board with some straight track to be able to operate the factory yard, but then decided to do something prototypical. This is the start of the Wiesenthal stop of the Plettenberg railway. In the last weeks I made a wooden segment box and started with a steel sleeper switch, which is going to be mostly buried under gravel later on so don't worry about some shortcomings.

Cheers and all the best for next year!
Volker

1-32

finescalerr

I'm glad you're adding to the railroad and can't wait to see what you build. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

Bernhard

Hydrostat

Thanks, Kim, Russ, Ray and Bernhard.

The model is on show at 'Model Train Luxembourg' from February 22. - 23.

Looks like it won't be boring up to that date. Subsequent to the switch is the Wiesenthal stop with waterbound cover. The steel sleeper track is faked in that area.  

For coloring the iron parts I started with some leather brown acrylics and then applied a first layer of real rust, which I make on an old, well rusting bakingplate, using a stiff brush to get some very fine powder. The rust step needs to be repeated when all landscaping is done, because the PVA from glueing ballast changes its appearance.

This sort of ballasting is why the switch didn't need to be detailed completely:

I like those areas with mixing materials from Ballast to gravel and dust.

Left hand there's the waterbound covered 'platform'. All the textures are the base for later detailing/coloring.

When they built the railroad at that area a slope needed to be cut for the line. The slope consists of clay shale. There's a ditch alongside the track, leading to a concrete duct.

A grid prevents larger stones and brunches to fall into ...

... because the ductwork is a bit sparse.

Right hand is the transition to 'quiet earth' and so I had to continue some Elements from that model: cobbled tracks, a stone wall and a footpath rectangular to the track.

Modeling the clay shale is a defiance, but i think this might work according to the texture. Coloring will be another challenge, but my primary goal now is to have this part in a somewhat presentable state at the exhibition at all.  

Cheers,
Volker

finescalerr

Nothing less than what one would expect from you; extremely adequate. Watching it all come together will be a lot of fun. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Excellent work! I like the fact that you've actually modeled the prototypical appearance of the ballast, soil, and stone. Too often this stuff isn't given much thought.

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32