• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quiet earth (was: Exercise module for Plettenberg railroad in 1/22.5 scale)

Started by Hydrostat, November 08, 2012, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WP Rayner

Ahh... excellent! Though my Grandmother would be chasing those workers down with a broom for their light washes and heavy wipes...  ;)
Paul

Stay low, keep quiet, keep it simple, don't expect too much, enjoy what you have.

1-32

Hi Volker
looks like it needs a feminine touch love the soap dispencer.

Hydrostat

Hauk's post of a picture was a real treat and inspiration to go ahead.

To bring that to light:

Some daylight shots to follow by chance to show lampshade installation and real and fake wiring. I needed to finish that before detailing all the remaining wiring starting from the electrical board.

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Hauk

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Lawton Maner

Having worked in a machine shop while in college it looks great, however the floor under the sink is too clean and there needs to be the towel the lazy worker threw on the floor under it.  Have you risen to the challenge of nailing the smells down yet?

Hydrostat

Quote from: Hauk on April 23, 2021, 02:34:55 PM
Fantastic! Are the scale lamps the only source of light?

Hauk,

yes, they are. All warm white 3,3V max. 25mA leds with printed bulbs glued to them. I use constant current sources instead of resistors because for a long time I wasn't sure which voltage I would use in the end. The ccs work from 4V up to 24V DC, depending on how many leds you connect in series. There's a 2 gauge standard in german of 24 V, but the ccs get a bit hot with that and I think I'll end up with some 15 or 16 V.

Cheers,
Volker

Hydrostat

Lampshades are 3D printed parts. I didn't want to have any visible power supply, that doesn't match the prototype's appearance. So the lampshades needed to have the same cable run.

It was a bit tricky to pull the 0.15 mm enameled copper wire through the lateral 0.6 mm holes, but a sewing needle worked fine. All led's are replacable via the Bi-Pin sockets, which are soldered to the wires and then pressed into the lampshade hulls. Printed bulbs are glued to the leds.

The first and last lamp of one row has a supply cable.

The following ones are connected via tubes; it is 0.6 mm brass tube with enameled copper wire inside.

I was lacking an eighth lampshade and so decided to have another, rather simple one at the boiler area. I was so euphoric about that solution that I forgot to make that removable. There would only one cable be necessary at the prototype and so the hook serves as second pole for power supply.

All lamps are mounted with those hooked hangers, that are fixed to the roof beams with a plate and two screw imitations. Note the enameled copper wire running from the fixture along the beam's edge to the shrink tubing insulated cable connection.

Roof, wall and floor of the building need to stay separate, so power supply leeds via pins from floor to wall and then via a screw/brass nut combination to the ridge pole, where the constant current resources are installed.

Cheers,
Volker

finescalerr

See how simple and easy that was? Anyone could have done it. -- ssuR

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Great tutorial for making lamps.
As I need 14 similiar lamps for my own project, this was just what the doctor ordered.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

SandiaPaul

Paul

Bill Gill

Hydrostat

Thanks, Russ, Ray, Hauk, Paul, bill and Sami.

I started work at the traveling trolley:

Paper strips prevent rope to slid off the roller flanges during construction. They are going to be removed when crane is finally mounted with strong tnesion on the ropes to have them running straight.

More details and coloring of the guide rail to come. 

Cheers,
Volker