• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Quiet earth (was: Exercise module for Plettenberg railroad in 1/22.5 scale)

Started by Hydrostat, November 08, 2012, 11:40:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Volker, The doors and new details are continuing the exceptionally excellent work of your project.

1-32

great Volker.
Love the latch .
But I have a bit of a problem with the crane's runner extension out of the doors, it is the finish I was thinking of a much planer paint job to complement all the other teckniques.
cheers Kim

finescalerr

Kim may be right. You might think about toning down the finish on the door. Everything else is superb. -- Russ

nk

I am speechless Volker. This is an incredible build with so many beautifully observed details. I was admiring the whitish corrosion (zinc oxide, I am guessing) and the galvanized metal duct work. The acidic atmosphere in the rea pickling plant allows all kinds of corrosion and degradation to be depicted.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

finescalerr

Good to see you here, Narayan. Hope you still have time to work on models and show them in art galleries. -- Russ

Hydrostat

Thanks for your nice words - and criticism! I'll come back to the door finish within the frame of facade work.

The parts for the fiber cement roof are all done. Here I had shown the jig for embossing the 0.3 mm aluminum sheets. The same jig serves as guide to cut off excess material for identical sheets.

The area alongside the roof lantern and the ridge require some specific formed parts, which I made from annealed 0.3 mm copper sheet.

Next step will be sandblasting, priming and coloring all those parts.

I first planned to lay the sheets directly onto the roof beams, but a planked ceiling seemed more interesting and would make it easier to have the roof cladding removable. This is necesaary to allow maintenance at electric installations. All the loose boards are taped on the backside, aligned with the lower wooden strip. This allows to remove the whole assembly "as is" and to add a longitudinal plank at the lower inner side. This plank forms the outer area of the roof and supports the gutter fixtures later on. All plank joints are fixed with some very thin CA to achieve some kind of a sheet. Fiber cement sheets will be glued to that with a strong, lightly flexible mounting adhesive.

This sheet needs to be fixed to the roof trusses. Some round 1x5 mm neodymium magnets are glued to pre bored holes in trusses and roof sheet. So no fixture is visible later on from the inner side.

The iron stack, which I made from 0.1 mm copper foil to have a visible seam, needed a fireproof facing from asbestic panels.

Gutters and gutter pipes are made from 0.1 mm copper sheet, too.

A look into the building with roof sheet attached:

Cheers,
Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

SandiaPaul

Paul

Bill Gill

Yes! Fantastic work!
How are the magnets working for holding the roof, but not too strong so it can be removed without too much force? 

Hydrostat

Quote from: Bill Gill on August 28, 2021, 04:40:12 AM
How are the magnets working for holding the roof, but not too strong so it can be removed without too much force? 

They are quite thin and so the adhesion isn't too strong. It' just strong enough to pull the sheet to the trusses, not more.

Bernd

Fantastic SBS. The inside picture looks like you are inside a 1:1 building.

Bernd
New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

finescalerr

I agree with Bernd. Nothing about the interior photo suggests we are looking at a scale model. The work on the roof is superb and that includes its concept and design. A satisfactory effort ... so far. -- Russ

Hydrostat

Quote from: finescalerr on August 28, 2021, 07:29:59 AM
Nothing about the interior photo suggests we are looking at a scale model.

Not even the twisted crane cables and the paper strips in the snatch block?

Barney

Very Nice - excellent  workmanship - with atmosphere and realism
Barney
Never Let someone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything
Stuart McPherson

nk

What we can see out of your studio window confirms that the scale model on the table completely reflects the local flavour. Fantastic work

Russ: Thanks for checking in - It warms my heart! I am indeed continuing to make pieces that go out through a gallery. Volker has very graciously helped me with some digital drawings for manhole covers on some previous projects. I have just moved house and am setting up a proper workspace rather than a desk that does double duty.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World