• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

My big A$$ Machine shop (1/16th)

Started by lab-dad, November 12, 2012, 12:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Potato Head

nice wrenches, but they look to be all the same size, and for bigger wrenches they would be box style, not flat. The peg board looks lonely , and the brick wall is to clean. Peg board is for Bob Vila, Machine shops use metal fixtures
Good start, C'mon we hold you to a higher standard
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Mobilgas

Marty,   The peg board just don't look right to me...I think something made out of wood to hold the tools will look the part.  You know like a tool holder that has been on the wall for 60 plus years  ;)
Craig

Malachi Constant

Not sure of the era you're going for, but I did some digging and peg board as such seems to be a 1950s and later thing ... Masonite as such came about in the mid to late 1930s ... first photo is from a 1938 advertisement.

So, I did some digging in old Popular Mechanics magazines, etc. to find a handful of tool racks and such that would be plausible around WW2 and earlier ...

At the risk of a minor high-jack, here's a bunch of them ... some may be more interesting than others ... or maybe it's all a bunch of useless crap for you ... sorry!  (I was searching mostly for things that would believable in a small auto shop) ???  8)  :P
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Malachi Constant

More reference crap ... the photo names include the year.

The heater is thrown in for kicks ... notice that it's gasoline-powered, with an INDOOR gas tank ... and says that it was used in a restaurant!

Malachi Constant

Last one in my hi-jack ... this one has recessed spots for all the different tools ...

PS -- These things were found by using the "books" search feature on google ... you can set a specific time period (for example, 1920-1945, whatever) ... and you can also search only in specific titles, like Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, etc ...

PPS -- If it's all a bunch of useless annoying crap, just say so and I'll remove these posts!  (I'm accustomed to being useless and annoying, so no offense will be taken)  ;D

It's been a while, but I think I used the "print screen" function to make snapshots of the results ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Design-HSB

Hi Marty,

if you're interested, I might even leave a set of open-end wrench, 1:16.

The sentence is unfortunately metric.  ;)

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

lab-dad

Dallas,
All good info and glad to have it.
I think the pegboard is too modern for my shop.
Just wanted to show the offering from my laser guy.

I have open, offset open and box wrenches!

Thanks to all for the input and looking in. 

Marty

lab-dad

Just a small update.
Something i wanted to do for a while; the wall shelf - everything else is old.
Think I will build a bigger one now.

Marty

Mr Potato Head

Photo's look great! Who's your photographer  ??? ::) ::)
I like the work bench very much, but the shelves would be hard to reach, I think the Big A$$ MS needs a Kennedy tool box, a Machinist roll-a-way, I have my fathers, I can take pictures for you, but you know what they look like!
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Ray Dunakin

Nice photo of a workshop, now where's the model?

Seriously, that is amazing work!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

Hydrostat

That's, um, good. You were concerned about the joining bricks that are somewhat skewed. This especially makes the wall interesting. Looks like sometime a part has been added to the building. On first sight it really looks like a prototype pic. On 8th sight I'm starting to look for something to carp about. Maybe the coloring of the wood of bench and sill, which looks to "new" / yellowish/brownish. Unfortunately there are no rivets for an experts opinion. :D

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

lab-dad

Thanks guys.
Tater Tot;
toolboxes are coming. I have several for reference.
Volker;
See my latest post on the shay for rivets to critique.
Marty