• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

My big A$$ Machine shop (1/16th)

Started by lab-dad, November 12, 2012, 12:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

When a window closes another door ...er gets installed?
Oh well, you get the point.

I just could not bring myself to paint the door.
I did paint the trim which probably is wrong but at least it gave me the chance to use some of that crackle paint finally.

The flooring is half the thickness it will (eventually) be just testing colors.
-Marty

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

There is something to be said for good craftsmanship in a very large scale, n'est-ce pas? -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: chester on April 04, 2013, 08:22:01 AM
Quote from: finescalerr on March 22, 2013, 01:06:46 AM
Interesting brick bond pattern. No doubt Nick will know what to call it.

Russ

I don't know what Nick will call it (they have a way of saying things funny over there anyway) but the brick work in the photos look like what I would call a Common Flemish Bond. (3/4 brick Bond course every 6 rows)

Everything looks great Marty!

Yes , it is Flemish Bond .

lab-dad

Thanks guys!
Russ, I don't speak Spanish but I assume that's a compliment. ;D
-Marty

shropshire lad

Quote from: lab-dad on April 08, 2013, 04:58:21 AM
Thanks guys!
Russ, I don't speak Spanish but I assume that's a compliment. ;D
-Marty

Fool , he's talking in German !

Chuck Doan

Great looking door Marty! What is the origin of that handle?
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

Thanks!

QuoteWhat is the origin of that handle?

Micro Mark sells them, The handle is nice as it has that curve in both directions like it should. It is also solid brass so the blacken it gave it a nice patina.
I used square head screws to attach it instead of the pins that came.
They also have the (operating) hinges i used.
The hinges are 5/16" tall and 5/32" wide.
I can measure the handle if you want. The center rail is 1/2" for reference (I think)

-Marty

finescalerr

What will you do about a lock or latch? -- Russ

mabloodhound

Nice door Marty.
I don't see any mullions anywhere.   Lots of muntins between the glass though.
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

TRAINS1941

-MJ

Well if this is just the start.  No weathering or anything I think it looks great. I don't know what they call the marks from the saw but it really looks realistic to me.

Good job Mr. Jones.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

shropshire lad

Quote from: TRAINS1941 on April 22, 2013, 06:31:23 PM
-MJ

Well if this is just the start.  No weathering or anything I think it looks great. I don't know what they call the marks from the saw but it really looks realistic to me.

Good job Mr. Jones.

Jerry

Jerry ,

They call them " sawmarks" !

Nick

shropshire lad

Marty ,

This build is coming along nicely , however , there are one or two things I am unclear about . This wooden floor you have spent so much time on, is it a suspended floor , on timber joists , with the floor boards nailed to the joists ? Or is it a concrete floor , with the floorboards attached to battens fixed to the concrete ?  Because if it is the former , I can't see how the joists would support the weight of the machinery and if it is the latter , I wonder if they would have bothered with the floorboards if there was a concrete base . Will you be putting the machinery on concrete pads ?
  In this scale I reckon you need to show nail heads in the floorboards at approx. 16"" centres .

Not being too picky , I hope ,

Nick

Hydrostat

Marty,

I think there should be gaps between the planks. Often the older planks have dried out badly so they start to bend upwards from the long sides (hope I did say it understandable), especially where sunlight shines onto them. And I would underpin Nick's comment concerning the concrete floor/pads.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

finescalerr

Marty, between the Terrapin comments and the ones above you have some very good information ... and no doubt a few more guys will add to your grief. So far everything I've read seems valid and Nick's structural tip is crucial--a point I'd completely forgotten. (Anders might have written something about it in the article about his HO enginehouse/machine shop.) I think you are getting top notch advice for creating an outstanding diorama. -- Russ