• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

My big A$$ Machine shop (1/16th)

Started by lab-dad, November 12, 2012, 12:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Marty,

I like the saw jitter marks.

...and i truly dont want to add any additional stress/pian....

I do however have some things that bug me. The plank spacing/joints looks odd...looks more like it was scribed into a single sheet than individual planks, also don't really care for the pegged boards....and how are these boards held to the framing below?....unless it is all T&G, and egde nailed, I dont see how these planks would stay attached to the top of the framing below, and keep from moving/deflecting (the few pegs would really not do anything).

The current coloring seems off/odd, but I am sure that will change once you progress.

....I guess, at the moment it doesn't seem at the same level of quality/finish/attention to detail and look of the machines.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

Thanks guys,
I knew it was "off" so eyes other than mine would be helpful.
Nick
Flooring nailed to timber joists. Concrete pads for the machines.
I hear your concern for a wood floor, but it was done. Heavy timber joists, not necessary because the machines would sit on concrete pads and then leveled with the floor bolts/feet and grout underneath. (more on nailheads below)

Volker
I saw some examples of the flooring shrinking & lifting, good call!

Marc
Glad you like the saw marcs, was a feature i wanted to use.
The pegs/plugs were a "test" to see if anyone (me included) liked them.
The color bothered me too, I think Russ nailed it when he said it was too "red"

With all that said and a poor nights sleep i have come up with;

I looked on line at floors.
There is a good thread on RRLine (found it doing a google search on shop floors). A lot of comments by guys who say they worked in machine shops. They all said concrete due to hot chips but these guys are not old enough to have worked in the 1920's. ?????
Several comments about RR shops being wood though.

Think i will put the concrete pads (a must have) in first then the flooring. Will give me something to do. Look at Chuck's shop that everyone goes ape over or Mario's SVRR pics. The floor is filthy. You can hardly tell it is wood. Also that hides the nail heads!
I think this will actually let me use the rough pallet wood as I see lots of gaps between old floor boards and random repairs.
Now to find the right color(s)!
I finally found a prototype picture I like.
Edison's Machine shop.
I like the wear, dirt, stains, use and level of clean.
Going to go based on this;

Gave me some good ideas on the staining (wood & oil) and colors....

Thanks again,
Marty

Ray Dunakin

Yes, there were definitely wood floors in some old shops, as your prototype pic shows. I don't know if this will help but here are a few shots of hoist house/machine shop at an old mine. Because the floor is damaged you can see some of how it was built. In this case the really large machines (pumps, hoist, etc) were mounted on concrete:

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Great pics Ray. Thanks. Saved to my reference files.

Interesting to see they used what appears to be about 3" to 3-1/2" T&G. Makes for a stiffer floor.

M-Works

lab-dad

THANKS RAY!
Great pictures.
That is basically what I have been planning, the concrete under the big/er machines.

FWIW; I believe the "stringers" or floor timbers (under the actual flooring) are called "mudsills"?

-Mj

mabloodhound

Not to be cantankerous, but mudsills are around the perimeter of a building, the lowest support for the walls.
As Marc said, the T&G flooring makes a much stronger floor.   
Wood is a great floor for standing on all day long as opposed to concrete but it is terrible for machinery.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Chuck Doan

Thanks for those Ray, I had not paid attention to the substructure before.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Malachi Constant

Wonder if putting the "neato" saw jitter marks on EVERY board might be overkill ... might be more interesting/effective if it occurred in just a few places to add interest?  Just a thought.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

NORCALLOGGER

Just some thoughts here gentlemen.

The vertical saw marks that are being represented indicate that the lumber was sawn or re-sawn in a band mill and the marks are left by the raker teeth.  If sawn in a circle saw mill the marks would be slightly radius depending on the saw blade diameter and board width. 

Now there is exceptions to everything but generally speaking flooring planks of any kind would be planed and milled.

It is pretty unlikely that they would, for instance, mill tongue and groove on the edges and not surface plane the rough sawn plank to dimension thickness and smooth finish. Possible but improbable in my thoughts.

Rough cut floor planking is probably acceptable in a saw mill shed or mine hoist shack but in a machine shop, I question that use.

Rick

lab-dad

I wondered if anyone was gonna comment on the "new" sample.
Yes, the rough cut lumber is out for this shop.
Far too rustic.
I am quite pleased with the color.
Marty

5thwheel

Coos Bay Iron works, Coos Bay, Oregon.  Two story wooden building, no pads under the lathes or other heavy equipment.  Floor boards probably 3 or 4 inches thick.

Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

marc_reusser

Nice photo Bill. Thanks.
The "Western Wood Products" catalog used to show 2-1/2"+ thick, double T&G, flooring material in a couple of widths.....always kind of wondered what that was for.

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Awesome shop, does it still exist?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

lab-dad

Now the fun begins!
Dirty up the place add some clutter and more tools for that 'lived in" look.
Once I determine the final locations of the machines (few more to build still) then I can weather the floor up.
the flooring is 4" thick by 10" wide tongue & groove. ;)

Also hoping to get the darn end walls installed & some doors!

-Marty

michael mott

Marty those machines look amazing, I am really enjoying the work that you are doing, the brick work look pretty cool too.

Michael