• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

My big A$$ Machine shop (1/16th)

Started by lab-dad, November 12, 2012, 12:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Im glamd I'm mot the only one that struggles with Marc.
A picture would be most helpful.
I have built and installed doors but never on a brick building
and never on walls 16" thick!
I had shown the door from the knside this time as no one will ever see the outside.
I was planning on the door opening out as is standard here in hurricane country and
so I could leave it open slightly and not be in the way.

Im confused about the brick moulding.
Once it is painted how can you tell where the jam stops and the moulding starts?
Other than the decorative shape(s).
Again a picture would help and the internet dows not like how i phrase my questions i guess.

All my cills are the same width as the jams on my exterior doors.
A picture of a cill horn would help too.
May be there is a book on brick building constfuction i could get?
Being here in the modern tropics all i know does not seem to fit.

Thanks for the help.
Marty

marc_reusser

Yeah, sorry about the typos, but doing a lot of the answers from the phone...which aside from my mistakes, often is a bit sketchy on what it wants to type all on its own.

Will go back and change them.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

To my untrained eye, the door itself looks fantastic! As for the frame/sills/whatever, I'll leave that to the experts.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Marty,

Yes a picture is worth a thousand words, the problem in this case is, that we are talking "generaities' and "best practice"........these are the bold/broad strokes.....from there on in, Nick and I could argue ourselves to death, because even for the sil detail, we could both probably come up with wth 10-20 plus detailing conditions for a variety of materials and ways to assemble, and install them. We could drive you, the others and ourselves nutters. To make things worse....we don't know exactly what you have in your mind insofar as what you want to see for design, finishes, and materials....and without a fully clear picture of that, and a good bit of autonomy to dictate to you, how it should be done, it would be very difficult, because on things like this, every deviation/material/condition (not to mention geographic location, country, time period) can affect the way it would be constructed and detailed.

I used to teach a class on constructon detailing and assembly for architecture and design students....this stuff took hours of lecturing and drawing in person....imagine trying to type it out. :D

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Marty, I know nothing ................... well in comparison to the "experts" but these might help a little

A stone lintel/step that has been painted at some time, believe the "sill horns" are those bits that go into the brick work beyond the door opening

Obviously this is the external view , internally the flooring is at at the same level as the top of the sill.

The frame/jam and moulding, the frame/jam is insert the depth of one brick and the the cove moulding is pinned onto to it

And before I get comments , this door is about to be taken out and the opening bricked up as part of of a refurbishment ............. hoping this will be the final rebuild on this house, its only taken me 20+ years .

It might also be of interest to look at the brickwork, this is what is called Accrington brick, do not try to drill these bricks you will go thro' a lot of drills , they are hard ! ( I believe they were used for the foundations of the Empire State building) But notice how tight(narrow) the mortar joints are 
Gordon

lab-dad

Thanks guys!
Gordon those pictures help a lot!
Would be nice if i had an actual building (like Marc said) that I was replicating.
Or even some old brick buildings I could visit.
I see what I need to do now, hopefully the adjustments will be correct.

-Marty

lab-dad

Hopefully this is closer to what it is supposed to be.
I now have nailers behind the jams.
The jams are now narrower (6")
And now i can add brick mold once the bricks are secured.
This is from the inside. Im planning on an outswing door.

Marty

chester

Looks great to me Marty. Like Marc said there are so many acceptable practices in how this was done. Most I have seen show a masonry threshold however and that the rough opening of brick and/or stonework was laid on top of the sill giving the impression that the sill had horns.

lab-dad

Time to catch things up on this thread.
I have been working on the lintels for the inside of the building.
I found so many images of so many different types.
I found I was drawn to the rustic or frontier types;

Obviously these have a lot of character.........
So I did a few;

But in the back of my mind something was not right....
I reached out to Nick, Russ (NEBS) and Jerry and was told these i had made were not appropriate for my building.

So back to the drawing board.......
And this is what I came up with;

At least i had played with enough colors I was able to get that where I wanted.
I still want to add some other veins of color and slight variations but at least i am satisfied with the basic piece.

I am moving along and have more updates to follow shortly.
Stay tuned!

-Marty

lab-dad

Well the bricks are all installed........
It is obvious where I filled in with individual bricks between the castings, hopefully once the mortar is in it wont be as glaringly obvious.
Still have a long way to go.
i need to fix some bricks (missing/damaged) and "adjust some of the mortar lines.
Then seal the walls, color some bricks for slight variation with gouache, seal again and then on to the mortar.
I think.......
-Mj

For reference the wall is 12" high and 37.5" long

Chuck Doan

Is it the picture, or are the 2 right lintels a bit crooked?

That is a massive wall (at least to me!)
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

Chuck
Must be the pic (phone).
You gave me a heart attak when i read your post
Went out and checked it with my three foot straightedge!
Marty

eTraxx

Quote from: lab-dad on December 29, 2012, 06:54:20 AM
<snip> ... You  gave me a heart attack when I read your post ...<snip>
Don't care who you are .. that's funny! :) (hope Marty forgot a 'almost' there)
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

marc_reusser

Quote from: Chuck Doan on December 28, 2012, 01:24:58 PM

No, the two left ones are level.  ;D ;D

I am sure that some/most of the joint problem will go away when filled, because right now the depth and darkness of the joints is creating an illision. If you still have a seam that is an issue, there is always the downspout, vent duct, external electrical lines fallback....or in a worst case scenario a concrete pilaster., or even a completely difernt hading of brick, to try and indicate a later additio/extension,

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on December 29, 2012, 12:18:54 PM
Quote from: Chuck Doan on December 28, 2012, 01:24:58 PM

No, the two left ones are level.  ;D ;D

I am sure that some/most of the joint problem will go away when filled, because right now the depth and darkness of the joints is creating an illision. If you still have a seam that is an issue, there is always the downspout, vent duct, external electrical lines fallback....or in a worst case scenario a concrete pilaster., or even a completely difernt hading of brick, to try and indicate a later additio/extension,

Marc ,

You're looking at the inside of the building .

Marty ,

Helpful suggestion of the day :

If all else fails , do what I do... plaster or paint the bugger !

Nick