• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Ben's Mill Video.

Started by 5thwheel, December 07, 2012, 08:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SARSn3.5

G'day Jaimie, Marty, Chester,

Thanks for the encouragement!

Took the model out of the cupboard: found a few insects and at least 1 eight-legged critter in residence. It needs a good dust and vacuum and I'll take some new picies. I have always intended to install it in a diorama with the stream bed and dam modelled. The stream bed always stumped me - trying to do justice to the sedementary rock strata in the bed, and the water flow. Suggestions for appropriate techniques are welcomed!!!

So, 3 photos from the build if they will load for me. (He promises to read the instructions carefully to understand how this trick may be pulled off)

The model was built around 3 cores, one each for the cider mill, the woodworking shop and the blacksmith shop respectively made from 3mm MDF. The weatherboarding was attached to each face as individual, prepared stripwood strips. The strips were weathered with a wire brush then stained with black and sepia acrylic artists inks diluted with isopropyl alcohol then overbrushed with white acrylic ink also diluted with  isopropyl alcohol. The solvent invites the inks to mix on the surface of the stripwood to vary the degree of surface weathering in a subtly nuanced way. The windows and some of the doors are clearly identifiable as Grandt Line products. Rafter tails were set into saw kerfs at the top of the walls, and purlins and barge boards were added as needed. The whole was roofed in corrugated paper painted to represent rusted galvanised iron.

The photos show the blacksmith shop.

SARSn3.5

Well that worked OK, Add the third one!

Regards,

Gavin.

Mobilgas

I like what i see so far ;) What scale is the building?
Craig

finescalerr

Nice, clean exterior board construction. -- Russ

SARSn3.5

1:48 scale - Should have mentioned before.

Gavin.