• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Some old and new stuff from a new member.

Started by Alexandre, December 09, 2012, 07:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandre

Thanks Tom.

Quote from: Tom Neeson on May 22, 2013, 04:38:00 PM
Who makes that figure?
Tom

This one is the PKA '(PanzerKampfAnzug)' ausf. H1 Heinrich. It's a long OOP model from Nitto. The brand doesn't exist anymore. 
But other Ma.K models and armored suits can be found in Wave (Japan import only) and Hasegawa range.
It's 1/20 scale.

Gordon Ferguson

Alexandre,

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post this information , it always of interest to me to read about other people's experiments ......... Goes a long way to cut down some of the learning curve for the rest of us.

It is good to see an alternative to the "traditional" laquer approach for finishing these pieces, read a lot about the laquer finishes and always admired them but,like you,me and laquer really don't get on ....... either from an application or a breathing perspective! .......  and that is ignoring the difficulty of getting hold of them .

Sorry for my lack of understanding here, are you really applying these "wet on wet" do not the the colours mix ?
Or are you applying them like thin glazes, letting each coat dry and then applying the next glaze?

Out of interest have you tried tinting the Klear with acrylic colour and building up the layers that way?

However you are doing it, it's turning out well ..... The Sci-Fi version of the pink camouflage used on the SAS land rovers.

Hope to see and hear more
Gordon

finescalerr

Alexandre

Thank you Gordon & Russ.

Gordon : I wasn't really clear on this one.
I'm applying a layer of paint. Once dry, I wet the surface with water first and then applying the new layer on the wet surface. The layers don't react together, but the surface is wet for the new coat of paint giving a better canvas for gradient and color variation.
Wet on wet, not the good term but I miss a better one.

marc_reusser

Really wonderful effect on that suit. I think it brings across Kow's look and drawings perfectly. I also like your choice of colors. Beautifully done all around.

Interesting approch.....with acrylics....I would have figured artist oils would be more condusive to creating this effect, as they remain workable longer, and can be mixed on the pallete for a wider variation of shades....but you have disproven this.

Thank for posting this.

Now, when you get your nose back out of your new book...how about a black lunar soil SBS. ;) As I told JBA, I think I may have a need for it. :D

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Alexandre

mmmh, you mean like this kind right? Iwo Jima volcanic sands.

Or this one

Because I also have a real lunar one, in progress unpainted.

Alexandre

PS Marc : Thanks for the nice words.
BTW : I won't really read this Le Corbusier 10Kg book. It's just to look nice on the coffee table. Too bad it's bigger than my coffee table.  ;D

marc_reusser

Yes the volcanic sands please....both of them. ;D

Ah, I know these kind of books a little too well.  :)
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Alexandre

Ok Marc will do. Don't have much great pictures in progress so I'll probably do another one for a SBS.
Back to more conventional modelling with one of my favorite step of weathering, the engine grime.
I really want to believe than future mechanics will be very clumsy and dirty.

Many layers, featuring
AK Engine Grime
AK Dark Brown wash
AK Black Pigments
AK Dark Steel Pigments
AK Engine Oil
Tamiya Accent Panel Black
Tamiya Smoke
Tamiya Oil Stain

All these products can be mixed together, can be thinned with White Spirit and are worked whith many layers in no particular order. Very free and clumsy way.

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Alexandre

Thank you very much Ray  :)

Made some progress on this :

Alex.

mad gerald

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on May 23, 2013, 08:28:35 PM
Very interesting!
... I'm following with interest too ... still dabbling with the idea to build a Ma.k kit myself ... some day ... ::) ...

And thanks for the additional information about the stuff you used - very much appreciated!

Cheers

Alexandre

Cheers Gerald.

Picture of the closed suit.
There's quite a lot of work in the tonal variations of Pink/Orange on the hatch, but somewhere killed by the lighting of the photo studio and it's not so much visible here.

Franck Tavernier

Alexandre, great work! I love the groundwork rendering, textures, etc ... ;)

Franck

finescalerr

Your photos have shown us three dimensional art. Your canvas is a strange little science fiction model but the artistry you have displayed to bring it to life is wonderful. -- Russ