• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Some old and new stuff from a new member.

Started by Alexandre, December 09, 2012, 07:00:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandre

Thank you Franck and Russ.
I'm happy that you could find something of interest in this.
I'm a hard believer of the "crossing the genre" idea. I've learnt so much watching SBS and articles of things that on the other hand I would never model. What I like in this painting technic is that in the end, we (at least I) don't see so much the raw initial painting. it just supplies an interesting base for the weathering, but add something subtle in the finish.

I've zero knowledge on RR modelling, but reading some comments here I feel you guys are sometimes quite rude with your own genre.
Coming from the AFV/military modelling, I really think many (well, members here as I don't know any other places about RR) have understood things that AFV modeler are ignoring most of the time. Maybe it's the quality of this board though, but I think you guys are 10 years in the future regarding some modelling features, such as diorama composition, scratch building, and atmosphere rendering.

The next update will be about something of a wider interest as it'll be about architecture. Soviet 70's architecture precisely.   

A.

Alexandre

So, new serie of updates about one of the other project I have to do for mid-July.

This is some of the elements of the concrete structure I'll do. Nothing is glued together yet cause there will be other items added to the structure.
This is Cork, Cardboard, Wood, Evergreen styrene, and gesso.
The whole just got a quick grey acrylic primer hand brushed to check the texture, and some details painting with acrylics, but it's a long way before the basic painting is done.

The project is quite challenging, because it'll have to give the feeling of "cosmic" and "huge" soviet-style 50-80's architecture, but in a very limited scene of 10x15cm, without too much height. Wir Werden Sehen.  :-\

compressor man

Alexandre, this is looking really, really nice. The "flagstone" effect, is this carved by you or is this the actual surface of the cork? I would love to see a common item in one of your pics so we could know the actual size of what you are making. Please?  ;)

Chris

Alexandre

Quote from: compressor man on May 27, 2013, 08:44:32 AM
The "flagstone" effect, is this carved by you or is this the actual surface of the cork? I would love to see a common item in one of your pics so we could know the actual size of what you are making. Please?  ;)

Chris

Thanks Chris. Aaah, flagstone, so this is how it's called. Thanks for that. This is not carved nor the surface of the cork.
This is made bits by bits. Each stone is shaped, sanded, textured and glued individually. For a scale idea, the flagstone piece is 7cmx5cm.

finescalerr

If my finished work looked as good as your unfinished work I would be satisfied! -- Russ

Barney

I agree with that ! Just fantastic stuff
Barney

marc_reusser

Manifique! Cést un Plonge.

So what what are the individual flagstone pieces made of?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Alexandre

Thank you friends.

Quote from: marc_reusser on May 27, 2013, 12:23:18 PM
So what what are the individual flagstone pieces made of?
Marc

Hey, it IS cork. + modelling paste. I meant the pattern wasn't carved or from the cork texture.
:)

marc_reusser

M-Works

Alexandre

And it's done. Thanks for following the WIP on this pretty OT build.

Back to concrete now... :)

Malachi Constant

Quote from: finescalerr on May 27, 2013, 10:37:40 AM
If my finished work looked as good as your unfinished work I would be satisfied! -- Russ
In my new & dedicated effort to become one of the hundreds of ignorant, lethargic copycats whom Russ detests ... I'd like to add a hardy "Me too!"  ;D  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

Me, too.

(I hope I'm neither ignorant nor lethargic.)

Russ

Gordon Ferguson

Got no real knowledge of this stuff Alexandre, but it certainly looks "right"!

The amount of texture and tints you have achieved on the surface makes me want to have ago myself but had better not , there are a couple of square inches empty on the bench but must resist another scale.

Should say that what I like best is the impression of solidity and weight , the combination of your paint effects and some neat photography has made a very impressive piece.

The only thing that is bugging me, and it's only because of the amount of magnification, is that stencil decal under the Ace of spades ...... It looks like a decal !
Very picky I know ....... So sorry in advance
Gordon

Marc988

Nice!
It sure looks convincing. Looking forward to see it on a base.

marc_reusser

I echo everything Gordon says. (I can't believe I am saying that  ???  :-X )

I hope you publish an SBS on this painting approach, as the results are fantastic, and I really would like to try it.

The one thing I would nit-pik about is the ribbed rubber on the arms. I dont know if this is an oversight, or done because you wanted to create high-lights , but I would think that there would be more dust/dirt, in the grooves/recesses, and less on the high points (as the high-points also rub against the suit and surrounding objects)....I know when trying to do lighting effects this kind of stuff is always a struggle, as what is needed for lighting effects often is in direct conflict with what is needed for weathering.

Marc

M-Works