• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1957 Daihatsu "Midget"

Started by marc_reusser, January 02, 2013, 12:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Thanks for all the comments and support.

Andi; I don't really know what to say (a rare thing)...but, thank you, and I am humbled.

There is a fair amount of thought that goes into my approach, concerning why and how the finished effect I am after occurred, and then what steps need to be taken to try and get the look; however, much of it is also just chance, as I only have limited control over things such as the resist chipping (and do often need to go back and either enhance it with other techniques...painted chips, or adding in "Positive Chipping" to reduce the size of some of the chipped areas)....and then there is the big issue of impatience..or simple available time for the task... and wanting to move forward...and since paints/colors and effects change as they dry and interact with other layered effects...sometimes one gets the intended result, sometimes a lucky and happy coincidence...but sometimes you fail and have to run damage control.....or hope you can hide it with some added bit of detail, or later effect. The hardest part is really trying to get a cohesive yet unintentional/random feel to something that I often have days or weeks between finishing one part and picking it back up to do the next. For this good reference images are the best thing for me to have...even if I just use them as a guideline.

I am using these from FB, as my reference/inspiration/general guideline, on this build:

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Still working on it...some more initial steps....

M-Works

Bill76

Awesome job Marc. I'm reading this topic with attention. Very instructive. Very nice tones and rusyt shades. Georges

finescalerr

It looks more real than the real one. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on February 04, 2013, 11:49:44 AM
It looks more real than the real one. -- Russ

Yeah , just remind us . Which one's the model ?

Hydrostat

The one with the blue car in the background ... Shame you forgot to weather that, Marc. Completely destroys illusion.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

voyager

Beautiful work as usual Marc. Can I ask what is your method of giving remaining paintwork a glossy (or semi gloss) finish? I understand paint dulls as it weathers and in this scale this would be even less of a gloss but just for curiosity and to help in my 1/24th scale stuff!
Andrew

If it has wheels, I'll have a look!

marc_reusser

Thanks guys, your comments and input are always appreciated.

I guess I'll call the paint work done....next step is to add some weathering. Not really happy with the roof.....think it might need a strip and repaint.

Andrew:
I actually/fortunately have not run across/or tried to do any glossy areas. At this scale and smaller the oil paint post coloring add just enough of a satin sheen to areas of the paint, that it differentiates from the completely matte weathering and rust effects. I was fortunate that the same thing worked on my 1/24 ford pick-up. However. If I wanted some satin areas with more lustre, or even gloss, I would probably do it the same way I would do panel shading/fading (sim to the way I did the edge fading above), and that once my colors were down, I would spray a 2 light layers of HS, and then try to spray the glossy fin in a very light layer, and only...or as close as possible to the areas where I will be wanting to have the gloss. ......then do the chipping. (The gloss layer should then chip in the same manner as the color layers below).

So in SBS sequence:

Primer
Base rust tones
Clear Sealer
Additional rust shading if desired
HS
Lightest color/shade
HS
Darker color/shade
HS
Clear coat where needed/desired

Depending on look/finish, you may want/need to add additional HS and color layers.

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Marc

That is progressing really well , the subtly and variations in the base colour and the chipping really do make it.

FWIW and in my opinion there is not much wrong with roof ...... Maybe some rust tones (chipping?) along the windscreen/ roof join and then possibility a filter on the roof it self just to give a slight difference in tone.

Andrew

On the land rover in the "bits pieces" thread I did give it a light spray of a 20 / 80  mix of matt & satin varnish  which as Marc says combined with oils ended giving me a sheen which I was satisfied came close to a scale shine.

Sure Andi may well be able to contribute the "scale shine" given his expertise in this area
Gordon

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Design-HSB

Hi Marc,

just great.
If you are sent outside the vehicle now photographing, one can no longer distinguish it from a real safe.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Malachi Constant

It's really cute!  And the finish, though a bit "shabby", isn't entirely offensive.  ;)  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

Thanks guys.

Helmut, Attached is a quick snapshot from outdoors.

Still a lot of work to do on this.

Dallas; Thanks, yeah, I was going to do it less worn/shabby...but as the specs for the project were "rusty civilian vehicle", I didn't want to show one that was just sitting and decaying...yet needed to have enough rust and "shab" to meet the guidelines.....tried/tying to get that 30+ year old, with a lot of miles, hard work, end of life, wear and tear feel.

Chuck; Thanks Much. Initial fading was done initially in the paint and HS stage, then augmentet, shaded, tinted and blended using artists oils.

Gordon; Thanks. Roof had not received any attention yet.....because I was/am really pondering stripping it and doing a repaint of at least the top and front exterior. Need a good chunk of time where I can sit and very carefully strip. Cant use a mask to strip, as if it seeps under the mask anywher in the slightest amount it will damage the green areas.

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World