• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1957 Daihatsu "Midget"

Started by marc_reusser, January 02, 2013, 12:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Some chipping and rust work on the interior of the bed.

This was done using the "Hairspray" method. Paints are Tamiya and AK rust colors, followed up with 'Abt-502'  and 'Windsor Newton' oils.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

shropshire lad

Andi Little

Take no notice! ... I think it's bloody fantastic.
KBO..................... Andi.

michael mott

QuoteIsn't it right about now somebody says something about the queen?

Yes she wouldn't be seen dead in that box.  ::)

Michael

Andi Little

Actually I've been quietly studying this, and it really is quite remarkable. The effects are entirely believable and show not only provenance but chronology too. I don't know whether that was in your mind Marc', or whether it just naturally follows as you layer the various effects one atop the other?
I could list them as they appeal to me: such as the way the bowing of the floor panelling is shown by the wearing of the edges, and more so to the back where items and goods are push into the truck bed. The subtle polishing on the edges of the stepped area to the sides of the bed where lighter items have tumbled around as it jostled through the busy streets ... Why have I got this "Studio Ghibli" thing happening in my head? I can see this clattering around the backs streets with some desperately pretty young thing struggling to maintain control as she delivers flowers for her ageing grandmother!!! (Porco Rosso is pretty much my fav' though, and apparently you could get models of the various aircraft?? Never been able to track them down mind).

So, before I wander off topic completely - Exceptional Marc', it does you credit and continues to inspire me to achieve at least some small measure of the same.
And although it sounds a bit gushy? - If I haven't said thank you for making these ideas and skills so readily available ... well! - "Cheers bloke".
KBO..................... Andi.

chester

Exceptional Marc. An entirely convincing job.

Design-HSB

Hello Marc,

such great techniques in age as you berherscht, I would like to learn.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Chuck Doan

Looks perfectly convincing to me. Was it actual hairspray or the AK chipping fluids? I am starting to gather materials for my gas pump .
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

mad gerald

Helmut,

Quote from: Design-HSB on January 30, 2013, 06:36:58 AM
... such great techniques ... I would like to learn.
what about the latest issue of "Modelfan" or a copy of "extreme weathered vehicles" (with contributions of Chuck, Per Olav, Scratchmod as well) for a start ...  ;)

Cheers

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Quote from: mad gerald on January 30, 2013, 10:18:14 AM
Helmut,

what about the latest issue of "Modelfan" or a copy of "extreme weathered vehicles" (with contributions of Chuck, Per Olav, Scratchmod as well) for a start ...  ;)

Cheers

What!?....how did you know about the extreme weathered vehicles book....where have you seen this? I was not aware they had published it?

The rust technique ffor this Daihatsu wil be in MF as well...but probabaly after April.

M-Works

marc_reusser

Quote from: Chuck Doan on January 30, 2013, 10:16:43 AM
Looks perfectly convincing to me. Was it actual hairspray or the AK chipping fluids? I am starting to gather materials for my gas pump .

Chuck,

It was the Tresseme HS their "Tres-Two; Ultra Fine Mist" directly from the aerosol can.

Oil paints were Abt-502 "Wash Brown" and "Dark Rust", for the rust staining. I also used acrylic colors from the AK "Rust" set, for thin washes, as well as discoloration in some of the chips, and touch-up where the chiiping wore through to the primer.

M-Works

mad gerald

Marc,

Quote from: marc_reusser on January 30, 2013, 10:52:58 PM
Quote from: mad gerald on January 30, 2013, 10:18:14 AM
Helmut,

Cheers

What!?....how did you know about the extreme weathered vehicles book....where have you seen this? I was not aware they had published it?

The rust technique ffor this Daihatsu wil be in MF as well...but probabaly after April.
... I came across this accidentally:
http://www.dmmb.info/t7938f295-Marc-Reusser.html
... sorry, in case it should have stayed "classified information" ...  8)

Quote from: marc_reusser on January 30, 2013, 10:52:58 PM
... way cool .. .  ;D

Cheers

marc_reusser

Thanks Gerald. No problem from me. I had no idea that Alex had this photo. He must have gotten it from AK. I was just very confused, as they have not yet asked for the text/copy for all the SBS's in this book.

There should be 2 more parts to the MF wood SBS (I havent seen the first one yet...but I am assuming they split what I sent into two), and I am working on the last part. The Daihatsu "rusting" may end up as 1 or 2...depending on how many images and steps. It is much less involved than the wood so they may be able to compress it. Both techniques will be the subject of the demos in Heiden. That is why they are running them.

M-Works