• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Catwoman / D4C

Started by Bill76, January 08, 2013, 02:20:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill76

@ Thanks Wesley.

I start to paint the ground and the concrete base with a lot of different tones of yellow and gray. After beeing sure that the gravels / sand / rocks are hardly glued, I apply a thin coat of matt black to give a good depth around the rocks to increase the shade effect. It's so easy to paint in black and so hard to paint in yellow after that operation. Not usually my favourite step in the diorama paint process !

For the concrete, I use Codex and Fortress gray from Citadel and two tones of white (Blanc cassé and ivoire os). Really funny airbrush job to underline all the joints and damaged concrete. Lot of contrast as well.

For the ground, I use only acrylics as Citadel and Tamiya : 6 tones of yellow, 2 gray and three white / light cream. Airbrush job at first with several layers of paint to create a maximum variation of colour.

The second step is to paint the rocks in gray with a brush and to drybrush the stack of rocks and all the rocks on this platform.

I was expecting a more desertic finish in dry conditions and finally, it looks like a scene after a rainy afternoon. I feel a bit disappointed by the result. So the workbench is going to be in a worth estate that it was supposed to !

Bill76

Here's the pictures of the diorama on the first steps. In addition, oil paints as Raw amber will be applied to increase the holes in opposition with the light drybrush. One or two days will be useful to let it dry before adding dark washes / Mig productions especially for the concrete base.

Georges.

Bill76

I don't like to make roofs especially when I need to use paper handkerchieves. Grrrrrr .... But it's a good way to simulate a roof covered which this king of dark colour roll of shingle.
So as usual, it's very hard to cut the tissue even with a new blade so I put the tissue between two sheets of ordinary paper and the cutting is really neat and no tear. I cut several stripes of handkerchief representing an one meter large strip.

The roof is made with a 3 millimeters cardboard and is covered with the stripes and damp into a mix of white glue and water to prevent from any glossy aspect. Bad surprise when the roof has bent during the drying process. But finally, it will give a nice and old roof collapsing.

It is painted with dark panzer gray and the middle is painted with light gray and I try to vary the tones to simulate the sunny discoloration. I add a recent repair to give some contrast.

Bill76

The roof is definitively glued on the building. Some more details have to be adde as wood battens to keep the shingles on place, and a sealing tape will have to be fixed between the roof and the back of the front side of the building.

Georges.

Bill76

The roof is finished and wood rods are nailed to fix the shingles rolls.

Weathering operations are added to simulate the rust around tha nails, and an aluminium sealing tape is fitted in the corner between the roog and the front wall.

The signs take their place on the wall and the Caterpillar is mounted on the corner post.

Georges.

Bill76

The shed is glued on the scene as the post. Weathering operations are starting to ''link'' these new parts on the ground. So I'm gonna use the airbrush to add dust, moisture on the lower part of the building, moss. Some grass has to be added as well into the concrete holes. The roof has to get dirty by the way.

To get this project complete, I'm painting a stack of rusty iron sheets in the same way I did for the blade. Very funny part.

Georges.

Ray Dunakin

Nice. Only problem is the images look over-saturated, at least on my end.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Bill76

You may be right Ray because I have changed the lights, and I just need to ajust the settings on my camera.

Georges.

Bill76

Hello guys,

The Caterpillar's project is on the last run and still need some ajustments to get it right. The roof needs dust and stains around the wood wall. The sealing tape is fitted with a special glue for aluminium or bare metal. I try bare metal but it was to soft so I cut aluminium stripes for that. That gives a nice contrast with a light aspect in a matt overall looking.

The raw metal sheets are glued as well and it's looks as it was supposed to be. I follow the same process as I did for the blade but let a very large place to the rust. The recent torch cuttings are overmarked with matt black acrylic paint and pigment ''Black Smoke'' from Mig Productions. Good contrast as well.

Bill76

Lot od dust and sand are applied where needed as a few grass to colour the scene. A wood and lively pallet and a oil drum take place on the front side and will be completed with rusty chains.

Just need to put the Caterpillar D4C on the diorama for the last shots.

Georges.

Bill76

Hello guys,

Here is the end of this project and the last final pictures by the way. Quite a long project because a lot of building work on the Caterpillar. It's been a good experience in modelling as well even if I'm not very fond of that. Still need some experience.

The diorama has been really funny to realize by using different stuff, rocks, sand, wood, metal, paper, cardboard. In fact, very natural. The way of painting has been interesting too.

I learn and practice a lot on painting but just one thing is missing, Sasha. The title has been chosen for her but my skill in painting figure needs some improvement for the moment. I was expecting to start the figure painting but can't start with her because the skin. I'm ok to paint clothes but not skin even if good paintors say that painting clothes and skin is the same. Maybe ... I have to practice so!

So, my sole regret is not to have Sasha on this display for the moment. I hope in a while. She will be nice with the D4C.

Thanks a lot for having followed this adventure and for comments.

The next project is gonna be far from this diorama. Less building, more painting.

Merci à tous et à bientôt. Georges

Ray Dunakin

That turned out well!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Franck Tavernier

Well done Georges And nicely realized!

I also prefer the dozer without cab   ;)

Franck

Bill76

Thanks Ray and Franck. I agree that the version without no cab is pretty colol. Anyway, the canopy has been fun to build and it's good to keep the hands on work !

Next project.

Georges.

finescalerr

Good work. One thing I notice, and it could be the photos, but the overall coloration of the diorama is rather vivid. If it's not the photos you might consider whether it would be worthwhile toning things down a little, maybe by doing something as simple as misting on a unifying color, like a dusty tan, with the airbrush. -- Russ