• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Rinaldi Studio "Tank Art - Vol 1" Book (IMO a must have)

Started by marc_reusser, February 08, 2013, 02:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

This landed on my door-step this am, and I have only been able to peruse the first couple of projects, but it is truly incredible.

I find the format outstanding. It feels as if one is actually looking over Michaels shoulder, and listening to him explain his thoughts and process in person. Every question by the reader seems to be anticipated, and answered thoroughly, and concisely.

It really clarifies, enhances, and expands on so many thoughts, concepts,issues, and techniques I have run into, attempted, or been curious about.

I hate to use such a lame phrase, but IMO, it is truly a "game changer"......this book goes far and above other model building technique books.

I feel it really will make a difference in the way I approach my projects, as well as the resulting quality.

It was well worth the wait for us modelers, and I rate it as a must have, REGARDLESS of what you model.

The book is available direct from Rinaldi Studio Press: http://www.rinaldistudiopress.com/

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

eTraxx

Well .. since it is a 'must have' .. I dropped an order. :)

Ed
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Mobilgas

Does my FAQ-2 book cover the same thing thats in this Book ???
Craig

shropshire lad

Quote from: Mobilgas on February 10, 2013, 01:56:29 PM
Does my FAQ-2 book cover the same thing thats in this Book ???

Well , when you buy a copy you can tell the rest of us !

Nick

Mobilgas

Buy the Book??........ Ill let you spend your money
Craig

chester

Thanks Marc. Just curious but could he possibly have that much more to add that would justify 3 more volumes? Like I said, just curious since I bought some 'instructional' books a while ago that always gave the reader the impression that a subject wasn't completely covered until you bought the next volume. I will most likely buy Mr. Rinaldi's  first on your recommendations anyway.

Krusty

One of DHL's contractors dropped a copy off on my South Pacific atoll this afternoon. Didn't get as much work done as I should after that....

As expected it's an superb book. As well as being a great painter, Rinaldi has always been exceptionally good at explaining the more subtle points to and the thought processes behind what he's doing. He's excelled himself here. I reckon I'll be referring to it more often than the FAQs.

Admittedly, this makes the third copy of his somewhat grandiloquently-titled Oil Paint Rendering article that I've acquired and Marijin van Gils' material seems strangely familiar, but those are minor points. The book is very well designed (it certainly leaves most model railroad publications -- I'm looking at you Kalmbach -- for dead) and packed with good, solid content. The only question now is whether I need all nine volumes....
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

marc_reusser

Craig,

Here are some more of the review comments I posted elsewhere:

I feel it is absolutely perfect. The pictures are Michael's usual outstanding quality...and each step/process/thought has an accompanying photo or series of photos.....but it is the text and the way it is written, that truly make this book remarkable. In perusing the sections I did, I felt far more as if I was having a conversation with Michael, or watching a video/live demo, than reading the usual sbs/technique book.

I just have so often looked at Michaels work, and been intrigued by the nuances....and this book for me gives me insight into not only the technique but also his thoughts/approach. Most of the techniques and methods within, we are well familiar with, and there are many accomplished modelers that use them to great results.....but when we read the usual SBS info in mags, they seem to simply describe the general techniques....but lack these nuances, thus not giving us the full picture of what was done to fully create the effect/technique.

I have no idea what he will cover in the other books...likely those will be more focused on the armor pieces, and how many of the techniques described in this book are applied to them, as well as any new unique techniques used for those specific types of vehicles. I highly recommended this one because despite all the subjects being armor, Michael covers many of the techniques that are currently in use....and in a way that is much clearer to understand than any other SBS book that I have seen. Yes, one will need to read about armor, and how he has made use of these effects on military subjects, but the techniques described are absolutely useable/adaptable to anything we build here on this forum....one just has to think  a bit. An yes, I think it is better at describing what he covers than the FAQ.

Mind you, I am may be a bit tainted, because I also use most of the same techniques he does, and it was fascinating for me to see how he approached certain aspects and nuances....the kind of stuff I would enjoy discuss with a fellow modeer over a few beers, because it either validates my thinking/approach, or gives me an "aha" moment, and makes me realize where I can/need to improve/change/practice.

M-Works

Mobilgas

Marc,   Thanks for a little more info on the Book. 
Craig

marc_reusser

Craig,

This is a comment Michael posted on FB re. a sim question as yours.

"I tried to write the book from a neutral standpoint in regards to skill levels. After I complete the first 3 volumes, I will ramp it up to more specific advanced discussions and this will give a progressive guide to work from as you improve as well. Or so the the theory goes...and please don't hesitate to ask anything, here to help in any way. Thanks!"

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

Thanks for the website Marc! The order was easy! The check out fast, and the response was immediate. I can't wait to see it; I am not an Armor guy! But I want to learn "how to" a better realistic finish; I can't wait for my copy
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Mr Potato Head

It arrived today! Wow how can there be that many color photos in a book that cost so little? At first glance it's amazing! Stop what your doing and go order one!
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

Hey! Would I lie to ya!? (that's a rhetorical question)

Enjoy!

Marc
(Heading to the mailbox to check for a kick-back check :D )

M-Works

David Emery

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 19, 2013, 09:51:09 PM
Hey! Would I lie to ya!? (that's a rhetorical question)

Enjoy!

Marc
(Heading to the mailbox to check for a kick-back check :D )
How would we know if you're lying?

(My copy arrived yesterday and I took a quick flip through it.  I'm impressed, and glad I ordered 2 copies, to send one to a friend.)

dave

Mobilgas

OK....OK.........called Dave at Last Cavalry Today and ordered the Book along with the NEW AK weathering mag which should be in Saturday ;D
Craig