• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Brass "I" beam; 1/2" T x 1/4" W????

Started by lab-dad, February 14, 2013, 09:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

I've looked everywhere for brass "I" beam this size with no luck.
Needs to be brass so i can solder and be strong and 17" long.
plastic is out as is wood.
I can use solid rectangular bar but really want the "I" beam.
making it is way outta my league.
Any ideas?
6mm x 13mm would be okay too.
thanks,
marty

mabloodhound

You're right Marty, hard to find.
I even searched fro 'H' beam/column with no luck.
What about using two 'C' channels and solder them together, back to back? http://www.specialshapes.com/CChannel.html
Or use square tubing to make your own C channel.
???
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Hauk

Quote from: lab-dad on February 14, 2013, 09:23:08 AM
I've looked everywhere for brass "I" beam this size with no luck.
Needs to be brass so i can solder and be strong and 17" long.
plastic is out as is wood.
I can use solid rectangular bar but really want the "I" beam.
making it is way outta my league.
Any ideas?
6mm x 13mm would be okay too.
thanks,
marty

The closest I could find was 12mm X 6mm from a company called Metallwarenfabrik Hirsch GmbH.
A company in Lichtenstein, Hassler Profile, has a 12mm X 5mm section. I have ordered from Hassler myself and he is reliable. I have never tried to obtain anything from Hirsch.

Hirsch also have an interesting profile that might be useful:

You can add a 12mm X 0,5 mm strip to make a beam 13mm X 6mm.

Hassler also does custom milling of profiles, so I you want it bas enough, he can probably make you the exact profile. No idea how much it will cost. A one meter length of the 12mm X 5mm should cost  around USD 25 +postage from Lichtenstein.  

http://www.metall-hirsch.de/englisch/catalogue.aspx
http://www.hassler-profile.li/
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Seattle Dave

In a quick look I did not see that exact size listed, but have you tried www.specialshapes.com?  They have been very cooperative when I needed something, and will custom cut/mill if need be.

Dave
Dave VanderWal

Mr Potato Head

Two Words
"Mill It"
Really? you cant make your own?
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

SandiaPaul

Here is another source, the size you want is not listed but they also have that "flange" thing Hauk mentions.

http://finneyandsmith.co.uk/finneyandsmith/brass.html

What about slitting a tube and then putting them back to back?  If you do this the tube will bow out from relieving the stress but maybe you could solder it back to back and fix that.

Paul
Paul

marklayton

Marty -
In the US, structural shapes have a taper on the flange (about 7 degrees) and a radius where the flange meets the web - if your beam will be easily viewed, the typical shapes rolled from brass strip look a bit 'off.'  Only way I know is to machine it.  But machining a 17" length of brass that small will require some creative clamping, perhaps by soldering the stock to a temporary base plate.

Mark
He who dies with the most tools wins.

lab-dad

Thanks Mark, and everyone else!
No way I am going to mill or fabricate it
I was really hoping someone would say "oh here is one "
Like Hauk did! But the 12mm makes the rest of the parts off.
But since it is not very visable I think I will just go with something else.

Thanks guys!
Marty