• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Ten Fordson Machines

Started by Scratchman, February 20, 2013, 08:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Im with Russ.
No way to remove them.
And the ones w/o washers are out of stock.
Guess i will be making my own grrrrr.....
Mj

billmart

Back in 2011, there was a thread that briefly addressed the issue of 'simulated' nuts and bolts.    http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1557.0
A company named Master Club was mentioned as a possible source.  Master Club makes a range of cast resin nuts, bolt heads, rivets, etc.  Do any of you have any experience with these parts?  I have some on order.  I'll let you know what I think of them in a few weeks.

We now return this thread to Gordon's excellent Fordson models.

Bill Martinsen

Les

Gordon
I have been referring to the book  RUSSELL GRADERS PHOTO ARCHIVE in preparation for a measuring trip of a Caterpillar 15 version of the Russell Motor Patrol and came across a series of a Fordson version, a Russell Motor Patrol No2. 6 very good photographs and a set of measurements including wheel base and track,
Les

narrowgauger

Bill

Master Club nut 'n bolt castings are excellent (in fact far superior to the Grandt Line offer) and readily obtainable from Hobby Easy in Hong Kong with whom I have dealt for many years.

Hobby Easy will gladly ship to the US at modest cost.  Great, quick service.

Pricewise you will find them far more cost effective, particularly taking into account the very wide selection available.

no connection with either Master Club or Hobbyeasy except as a satisfied user/customer.

hope this assists.
have a great day
Bernards

Stoker

I continue to be amazed by the top notch modelling I see on this site. A few days ago I saw this pic on Shorpy and thought it might be of interest:

A flock of Fordsons pulling dump units. ;D

Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis

kneighbarger

That is one cool scene, love the dump wagons they are using with the Fordsons...
Ken

billmart

Fantastic photo, Stoker.  Thanks for posting it.

Bill Martinsen

Ray Dunakin

Interesting... they look very much like primitive versions of modern earth movers.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Stoker

When I first saw that pic of the Fordsons I was unsure if they really were Fordsons because of the solid front wheel and the "duallies" in back, but I looked into it and found out that those were features of Fordsons. It appears that the extra wheel in back for extra traction/decreased ground pressure is bolted on. If you follow the link I posted and then click the picture it will yield a very high resolution picture and you can see that on some of the wheels the chevron does not line up. The trailer dump units do look like modern scraper type earth movers, but these appear to be just bottom dump/spread units with no scrape feature. In the front of the trailer you can see what looks like a bottom door mechanisn, and then in the back there is also a gate. It looks like they are mining dirt to build up a roadbed which you can see on the left.
Regards, James                        Modeling in 1:48 after a lengthy bout of Scalatosis Indecisivis

finescalerr

Apparently you posted a LINKED image. It does not show up on my screen although when you first posted it, I was able to see it on the source website. While others may be able to see it now I can all but guarantee nobody will be able to see it in a few months.

Please, guys, if you think the image is worth posting, then download it to your computer and upload (don't link) it to the forum. If any of you doubts what I'm saying, go back to some of the earlier topics. There are hundreds of empty boxes where, at one time, we saw images.

Russ

Stoker

Shorpy links will be around forever, Russ. The picture might be copyrighted, so downloading and re-loading could be infringement whereas linking is not.

Scratchman

Here's two photos of model #7 the Monorail Loco, American Magnesium Company Locomotive. #1. Close to 2000 parts.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Scratchman

I used five different Grandt Line castings. The rivets on the doors are 0.040" diameter #154. All the other rivets are 0.060" diameter #156 with some nut-bolts 0.060" diameter #128 in spots. I used nut-bolt-washer #23 on the hinges, and nut-bolts-washer #16 on the stiffening bar under the  side sill.

The sheeting is 0.020" thick. The side and center sills are 0.030" thick with 0.156" flanges. The end beams are 0.030" thick with 0.125" flanges.

The angle-iron on the doors is 0.100" Evergreen angle. All the other angle-iron is 0.125" Evergreen angle.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Chuck Doan

Wow! Great progress Gordon!

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/