• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Ten Fordson Machines

Started by Scratchman, February 20, 2013, 08:32:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

That Fordson tractor with the shovel attachment sure is an ungainly-looking thing!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Scratchman

5thwheel

Quote from: Scratchman on August 28, 2013, 05:06:07 PM
I found this little winch near my home.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Gordon,  A cute little one.  It looks like its first life was as a two speed hand operated. I can't really tell if the pulley is connected to the low gear drive or is the pulley even connected? I can see that the pulley has been added at a later date.
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks for those sots of the pulley, exactly what I will need to rebuild the pulley on my 4 in line trailer
Gordon

finescalerr

Do you mean "shots"? The sots are the lazy goofballs who operate the thing. -- Russ

Scratchman

Scratchman

Ray Dunakin

Looking great!

I wonder why the differentials were so big?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

kneighbarger

Coming along nicely, looks great...
Ken

billmart

Gordon -
I'm a fan of all sorts of vehicles, locomotives, and other contraptions powered by Fordson engines, as well as those using Model T or Model A Ford engines.  Your models have been very inspirational to me.

On a slightly different note, do you have a scale drawing of the Weaver Auto Crane?  If not, what sort of information do you have regarding dimensions?  I'm interested in building one, but have no dimensional data.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Martinsen

Scratchman

Bill I'm not drawing plans for the crane. I can give you the measurements from my model that may be a little different from the prototype.

Frame...
A...base angle-iron, side to side  2-1/2" X 2-1/2" X 36" (20" from out-side to out-side of right and left legs.)
B...base angle-iron. front to back 2-1/2" X 2-1/2" x 28".
C...front legs angle-iron. 2-1/2" X 2-1/2" X 32" (10 degree angle)
D...rear legs angle-iron.2-1/2" X 2-1/2" X 34-1/2" (20 degree angle)
E...center side brace 4" X 20" (cut to fit angle) (14-1/2" to the bottom)
F...boom pivot plate 4" X 23" (cut to fit angle)
G... X brace, 2" (front 24" from bottom bolt to top bolt) (rear 29" from bottom bolt to top bolt)

Gear-Box...
H...gear box side-plate (horizontal top 8") ( horizontal bottom 3") ( total width 12") and (total height 12")
I...3 gear box shafts up from the bottom of base (17" to the bottom shaft) ( 25-1/2" to the middle shaft) and (34-1/2" to the top shaft.) (37" to the top of the frame)
J...gears (bottom 4") (, middle12" and 4") (top 12" and 4") ( The five gears are from Serv-0-Link corp. One # 142 two #122 and two # 364). I will cut off the extra tails of the three smaller gears and on the two larger gears the core was cut out on my lathe leaving a ring. The brass centers are ΒΌ inch scale pony truck wheels from Precision Scale Co.) (drum10"wide 3"in dia.
K...name plate (3" h.) (1" on top  2" on bottom w.)

Boom...
L... boom 2-1/2" X 4" angel iron (pivot from bottom of frame 15") (60" to the top of the boom) (84" from pivot point to clevis shaft) (my boom is at 43 degrees)
M... boom (X-brace) from the bottom pivot point... (22" to the bottom and 47" to the top
N...boom to frame adjustable brace 3" X 49" .

Gordon Birrell

billmart

Gordon B. -

Thanks a bunch for the measurements.  I'm sure they will be enough to get me started.  I'm not overly concerned with making an exact mini-duplicate of the real thing.  I'm more of a look-and-feel modeler.  Once I'm done, it would please me if I like it and if others say it looks like a Weaver Auto Crane.  For most of my modeling, I use (for example) the size of styrene channel from Evergreen or Plastruct that best matches the real thing.  I think most models require some compromises (like scale thickness of various parts), so one more won't kill me.

Thanks again.  I really appreciate the time you spent doing this.

Bill Martinsen

Scratchman

finescalerr

Those must be very old photos, before the advent of color. -- Russ

Scratchman

Here's four photos of my progress on #10 the tow truck.

Gordon Birrell