• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1918 Holt Trencher

Started by Barney, February 25, 2013, 12:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Congratulations. Well deserved.
Would love to see pics of the finl painted model.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Wouldn't we all  ;D

He becomes a bit like Motor Manufactures before a new model launch, everything gets covered up with white sheets , no cameras are allowed within the exclusion zone and satellite overflights are banned !

Probably could take a guess at the colour though  ;)
Gordon

Malachi Constant

Congratulations -- that is one heck of an amazing scratchbuild!  And, another vote for finished pix ... please!   ;)  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Barney

Thanks for the nice comments -Photos tomorrow long haul home driving made difficult with wait of gold in the boot (that's the bit at the back of the car or is it the trunk)
Barney
back home

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

Quote from: Gordon Ferguson on September 22, 2013, 11:28:39 PM

Probably could take a guess at the colour though  ;)

"Hello Kitty Pink"  by Humbrol

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Barney

"Help required" of late  I have become disappointed with my paint jobs –how can I give it a bit more lived it look or add a bit more life – I'm not into total dented / rusted chips and covered in dust or mud as is the trend for today's model military vehicles . For this type of vehicle most of them never saw action and some never got much further than the testing grounds or factories " Abigail" was probably used more after the war for laying pipes and clearing ditches - a bit of help or just your thoughts on "the paint jobs"
Is it just adding a bit of high lighting or added shadows? In my view its only comments that make us move forward and improve.
You're constructive views please what is it lacking? My apologies to Russ for the Orange rust it's the Lighting!
Barney

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

lab-dad

I like it!
For some more "use" weathering think about how that would happen.
boots landing on the floor will "polish" the steel.
Anywhere hands would constantly touch would be polished or shiny.
The buckets & tines would polish then have fresh rust very quickly.
I'm sure fuel and oil would get spilled.
And then unless it is kept in a garage rain streaks and dust of course.

-Marty

jim s-w

I don't think it needs much if I'm honest but then I like subtle.  Some of the military stuff is to my mind overdone and almost like a characiture.  You don't send to see OTT weathering here but some do chose prototypes that are pretty far gone. 

For me it's just a question of some subtle highlights and lowlights and attention to patina rather than colour as such.  I think your colouring is very nice but perhaps it's jst a bit flat?

Having said that I wouldnt imagine that the paint would stay on the buckets for long but I wouldn't expect to see a lot of rust either while it was in service.  Perhaps a touch of polished steel?
Jim Smith-Wright

Gordon Ferguson

It's fine Barney, that's your style and we would recognise your work anywhere by it!

I personally think that it must be great to have your unique style & presentation, and for these pieces where ingenuity and scratch building skills are paramount then this type of paint approach is perfect ...... It's a bit different when you are churning out the Nth version of a mass produced kit.

Anyway we would loose all the fun of taking the mickey if you changed the colours you use

You do realise that as soon as Nick knows you are unhappy with it he will be on his way to take it off your hands
Gordon

finescalerr

It's beautiful. If you feel it needs something extra, I go along with Marty's suggestion. -- Russ

Barney

Thanks for all the useful and constructive comments its onward and upward again !!
Barney