• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

New Micro Marc resistance soldering tool???

Started by lab-dad, February 28, 2013, 06:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Just got the new MM catalog.
On the cover is a resistance soldering tool for $170.
That's less than half the price of the regular one.
This one is only 63 watts though.
Is that enough? for what?
I'd really like one but $500 for a decent one is an awful lot of money.
I do okay with my pencil, gun and torch but the advantages of resistance are huge!
Your input (as always) is appreciated.
-Marty

mabloodhound

Got my issue yesterday and also saw that immediately.   I may just go ahead and get it to see what it will do.
I've been looking at these units for years and never could afford one either.
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Design-HSB

THE (Buntbahn Forum), there are currently just a self-construction project on which I participate.
I'm just doing the finishing circuits soldered to the transformer together to build a case.

transformer

Board with the necessary equipment, for Widerstandslötgerät.

Right now I'm just cold and powerful pause forcibly.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

james_coldicott

Hi Marty et al,

this article on building your own resistance soldering unit has just started doing the rounds again...

http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/models/solderer.pdf

undoubtably quite crude but an interesting read nonetheless.

If you have the parts lying around it may get you off the ground.

James

Ray Dunakin

How do people avoid getting electrocuted by these things? I know I'm enough of a klutz that eventually I would inadvertently grab the wrong part of something while trying to hold the parts in place and apply the current.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

5thwheel

If you can at all swing the price get the American Beauty.  I have the 250w version.  It is very dependable. I have had mine for many years (20?).  I was fortunate because I had a dealership for them back in the mid 80s so got mine at cost.  I have not been sorry I got it.

You won't get electrocuted but if you grab the tips you can get burned.

Bill
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

lab-dad

Well i bought it (the MM one)
I will let you guys know just what I think when it arrives.
No way i could afford the American Beauty.
-Mj

cjd2255

I did some shopping around for an American Beauty, and was able to find it for far less than what Micro Mark has it at.  I am really glad I made the investment. 
A buddy of mine got a used one on ebay for next to nothing.  He lives a few miles from American Beauty, so he took it over to them and they went through it and replaced what needed to be replaced.  They gave him a great warranty on it too now that is has been rebuilt.   

Malachi Constant

If there really is such a thing as a Micro Marc, that would explain how he managed to place tiny scale-size bits of lichen so neatly ... even a Mini Marc would be helpful for such things ...

Which way to the corner?   ;D
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

lab-dad

Ill keep an eye out for an American beauty.
That would be a "Micro Markie"
Marty

lab-dad

Arrived today.
Kinda funny; a box,inside a box, inside another box.
When i got to the third one i was getting worried.
I soldered two pieces of .032 x .167" brass then two solid squares of .093"
No problems.
I didnt really buy it for delicate work so i am pleased.
It will be getting a workout shortly.
I would recomend it.
Marty

Seattle Dave

Have you got a part number you can share?  MM does not send me catalogs any more, at least I don't recall any recent one with this device on the cover.  With a part number, I could go to the web and see if they have it available online.  Many thanks.

Dave
Dave VanderWal

lab-dad

Its right on the top of the front page.
In the newsreel thing.

List Price: $199.95
Our Price: $169.95
Item #: 85522

Mj

lab-dad

Follow up;

I have been using the crap out of my machine.
Simply stated - I love it!
I am able to solder 3/16 o.d. rod to other sizes so i think that speaks highly of the power.
It has done everything I have asked of it.
I am going through the carbon electrodes quickly, but then again I am using it a lot and for extended periods heating large pieces. It came with 6 and I have used 4 so far.
Again I am working in 1/16th so you guys in smaller scales should have no problem at all.

Here is an example;

Top pieces are 3/16
rods are .093 dia. by 1" long
Lower plates are 1/16th thick.
took about 5 seconds to heat the whole thing and the solder to flow.
No clean up at all was done. You can see the dark spot on the left rod where i held the electrode.

-Marty