• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Need Help Solving A Mystery

Started by Will Page, April 30, 2013, 05:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Page

A photo of a large scale Bachmann shay turned up in the many downloads I make of interesting models.  I've learned to jot a quick note as to path so I can get back if I need to, but this must have been before I learned my lesson.

It is a very distinctive vertical boiler 2 truck Shay.  It's been converted to 2 pistons and is nicely weathered.  It's a wood burner and has a long peaked veranda.  I can barely make out it's lettering: "Possum Grove & Oil (something).  

I'd like to find out who the builder is and ask some questions as to whether it was built from a prototype or freelance, etc.  I've done repeated searches on what little info I have to no avail.

If you can help me locate this modeler/model I would appreciate it - not being able to get some answers is killing me.

Best,

Will Page

NORCALLOGGER

I have seen your request on several forums, you must really be after this information.
I don't know if Don ever lettered this one or not but it fits your description.

http://4largescale.com/DonGage/3.htm

Rick

Will Page

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your response and empathy for my plight.  Yes, it's similar.  The one I'm looking for is more modern - the wood bunker is metal and the veranda extends almost the whole length of the lokey.

I've been struggling with getting it's picture to post.  My iphone shot is unacceptable due to size and my Tapatalk is not allowing me to find this forum to post it.  Soon as I get thru that I'll post my pix.

Best,

Will

Ray Dunakin

Hmm, the only thing I've found so far that sounds like what you're looking for is this, but it's an On3 brass model:

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Malachi Constant

Will --

Try this ... it should work:

-- go to google.com
-- click the "images" tab
-- drag the picture from your folder into the search box
-- google will find the page(s) with matching image(s)

It works because a digital "photo" is just a string of information pieces ... bits, bytes or what-not .... if you need to know more than that, you'll have to ask someone smarter than me!   :P  But, I am smart enough to know that this usually works for "re-finding" photos ... not that I'd ever lose track ... er ....  ;D

PS -- It works even if you've re-named the photo!  (Also tried cropping, resizing and changing the brightness/contrast of that photo and it STILL found pages with matching images.)

PPS -- Photo below is an example ... you may have to click the photo to enlarge it ... so text will be readable.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

If it comes to that point,.....I know somewhere I have a photo of a "real"  two and three truck shay that was built like that, for lumber co's in the south......
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

In the meantime...some inspiration. (and of course the question begs, why copy a model when you can copy the real thing  ?  :)  )

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

Will
I think I have seen that loco on the 7/8th group, or a link there. I think the guy sells 7/8th parts too (crates or something?).

Marc
Love that first one! Wish i had seen it before I started mine.
Wonder if anyone will notice the cylinders are on the "wrong" side?
May be it was for England?

edit

Yes, it was!;
This was one of four  "left handed" Shays custom designed and built for the Cabrera mining operations .   The company was funded with British capital and built by engineers of the same country.    Thus the reasoning for the extremely unusual positioning of the cylinders, gearing, and drive shafts on the left side of the locomotives. 

From; http://www.gearedsteam.com/shay/images_ca-cd.htm

Marty

Will Page

Here, after much travail are the pix of the loco.  I'll respond to each of you once I get the pix successfully uploaded.

Will