• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Out of mind

Started by michael mott, May 18, 2013, 10:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael mott

Here's the thing,

There is so much going on in the world of modellbuilding that I am beginning to come unraveled!!!!! I have been focused on building my model boat and have been posting here http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/74-bristol-pilot-cutter-by-michael-mott-18-scale-pof/page-24 But there is so much great model building going on here that I cannot keep up. Marc is posting all sorts of great stuff regarding finishes and textures Jacques is posting the most amazing materials regarding the logging industry and Marty is building the most amazing machinery. I am completely overwhelmed. So forgive me for not replying to your posts. I check in every once in a while and am completely blown away without knowing what to say, other than Wow!!! which seems so inadequate!

Michael

finescalerr

Hmmm. I sent you to the corner in another thread and I'm afraid I must do it again. Your link tantalizes us but none of us is authorized to look at the jpegs. Worse, you began by posting your progress here and have weaseled out. I might (but the possibility is remote) remove you from double duty in the corner if you show us how your boat is progressing. Don't count on it, of course, but it wouldn't hurt your case, either .... -- Russ

Andi Little

Same here Michael, if anyone has missed me? I've just simply been overtaken with real life ... I have tried to make some small progress with assorted projects but although they sit on the bench there is nothing meaningful to show.

I pop into the site on a daily basis, sometimes twice or more, and you're right: There's some fabulous work going on, and I'm absorbing it all. But my visits they are fleeting and I don't want to just place snippy little shallow sounding comments.
So please forgive me, I am here in spirit and just as enthusiastic as ever, in fact this has probably taken place of my actual modelling at the moment.

Well done all - your efforts are appreciated, if it seems ... silently at times.
KBO..................... Andi.

5thwheel

The Bristol Pilot is coming along very beautifully as I can see it.  Very well done.

Bill
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

michael mott

I was going to edit the first post but realized that would only confuse me more.

So Apologies again for posting links that some of you cannot see.
I won't do it again.

I needed to make a new jewelers saw because I kept bashing my fingers on the wing nuts. I know I could have just replaced the wing nuts but this was more challenging and fun.

I also started to work on some of the smaller elements of the boat to give me a break from deck work I worked on a couple of pulley blocks to see what i could do with working ones. I cut out some English boxwood and sorted through the scrap ball race drawer.

shaped the body ready to fit the pulley.

made a rope making machine to make rope out of various threads for the pulley and other areas. some of the rope through the pulley.

This tool is for wrapping the thread around the ropes and for seizing the ends etc. it is made from an assortment of scraps including ebony, maple, aluminum, and brass.

Also took a break from working large and went small.

the boxwood was shaped with files and a #11 exacto.

The bulwarks are .005" maple and are translucent.

The mast is .020" at the peak.

and here is an overall shot of the big boat.

My humble contributions to the world of model building.

Michael

marc_reusser

Both are stunning works of craftsmanship.

...and though absent, you were not out of our minds. :)

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

michael mott

Marc thank you for your compliment! coming from you who is so dedicated to authenticity in your own work I am truly humbled. I think that I have definitely been influenced by that drive of yours to do a better job. I do not always succeed in getting the results that I desire but I am willing to start over to improve. Some times I win, some times I need to go back to the drawing board. so thanks again.

Michael

lab-dad

Michael,
The saw is a thing of beauty.
Any chance you could give some insight as how it was made?
I would really like one and building it seems much better than buying.
-Marty

narrowgauger

Michael,

good to see you back.  Love the boat and look forward to the completed model.

tip for our members who have a jewellers saw with the thumbscrew type of blade fasteners; replace the thumbscrews with inverted hex head machine screws cut to the correct length.  easy solution and no more skinned knuckles.

have fun
BernardS

Ray Dunakin

Great work! I love the tiny boat, it's amazing. And making your own tools -- how cool is that!?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

michael mott

Marty I will take some pictures of the saw which sould explain a few things better.

Quotetip for our members who have a jewellers saw with the thumbscrew type of blade fasteners; replace the thumbscrews with inverted hex head machine screws cut to the correct length.  easy solution and no more skinned knuckles.
Bernard this is exactly what I thought afterwards.

Ray, thanks for your kind comment.

Michael