• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Kitforums build

Started by eTraxx, May 28, 2013, 01:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

Well .. since Marc mentioned the lack of postings .. I figured I would post this up. There is an on-going build on Kitfourms and this is my entry. I'm gluing up the abutment/concrete structure and here test fitting various bits and pieces. The colors are still a bit garish on the stonework but I'll tone that down later.

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

marc_reusser

Well that looks most interesting.....do keep going.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

eTraxx

The challenge rules specifics for O scale - 144 sq.in. max, no height restriction, and contain a structure, vehicle, road and/or track and at least one 'little people'. So .. mine is 9.6in x 15in. The lower track is dual gauge P48/On30 (I'm quite mad, I know). The upper bit will have a dual gauge On30/On18 track with a dump chute and crane for loading flat cars. I readily admit it's mostly a caricature - but it's all in fun. Here's the side with the dump chute. That's just the base rusty color and will get the full HS technique.

Ed Traxler

Ray Dunakin

Cool.. nice job on the stones.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Be careful. With a start like that you might win a prize. -- Russ

eTraxx

Having an area that needed a wall of some sort I remembered I had a partial sheet of O scale Cement Block Wall Sheet from Walt Gillespie at Rusty Stumps. The wall would be a scale 11ft high and 15ft long so I was curious how well I could use it to make a wall. In this photo I have it propped in place where it will go with the ubiquitous penny for scale. I had to get everything in place since I planned to take a series of photos for my focus stacking program.

There were a total of eight photos taken with the camera set on manual. The first photo was taken with the focus at the bottom of the stone wall and the last at the corner nearest the camera. Using CombineZM (free) you get a photo with everything pretty much in focus.

The wall just has white primer as once it is weathered .. that weathering will help to hide any mistakes .. so the white primered surface pretty much shows any problems. I'm pretty happy with this.

Ed Traxler

lab-dad

Is part of the challenge to use every type of material known to man? :P

I wonder if a blast with an air eraser or similar would give the cement blocks their usual texture?

Can't wait to see the whole thing!
-Marty

eTraxx

Quote from: lab-dad on May 30, 2013, 05:07:22 AM
Is part of the challenge to use every type of material known to man? :P

I wonder if a blast with an air eraser or similar would give the cement blocks their usual texture?

Can't wait to see the whole thing!
-Marty
Ha. Yeah .. I know. I'm taking the opportunity to have fun with this :) .. hmmm. Air eraser. Didn't think of that. I was considering just how to texture the blocks .. have to add that to the possibilities.
Ed Traxler

Chuck Doan

I also like the seams in the cement.

On the show American Restoration I was surprised to see them using baking soda to "sandblast" items.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

eTraxx

ontinuing mission .. :)

I chipped the paint on the dump chute. I used Tamiya Flat White with a little Khaki thinned about 50% with water. I think I was a little thin on the hairspray in places as it got difficult to get some good chipping on the inside. I will use OPR (oils) to correct some of that and try to kick it up a notch. Next after is the I-Beam support thingie - once that is done can glue everything down and lay track.

Ed Traxler

TRAINS1941

Nice job so far Ed.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

michael mott

Ok so if I get this right there are a number of different types of walls and different types of textures so when will you tie these all together, so that they are coherent? Just sayin'

The individual parts look great by the way!

Michael

eTraxx

Michael
I still have 30 days left in the build challenge - the 'plan' .. such as it is (which is not much) is to tone down the abutment colors. Right now they are 'like new'. Figure some grime and dirt will help. I used some Burnt Sienna on the hopper last night - which makes me a bit happier after the chipping didn't go like I wanted. I'm going to work on this some more - have some brand new MIG oils to play with.
Ed Traxler

finescalerr

Not quite there yet but it's on the way. You've made good progress. -- Russ