• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Three of Ian McQue's Waldo Plus more...

Started by FichtenFoo, June 04, 2013, 04:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FichtenFoo

Here's the detailed build-log of my 3 Waldo builds so far with my SBS's, etc... More to come!  I'm working on a bridge/refueling rig I started over a year ago for the Remora and am doing another Sky Mark buoy with this.

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/tag/waldo/

Chicks dig giant robots.

artizen

What are the overall dimensions? It looks possible to scale this up to 1:24 as a steam punk floating thingy with a new cockpit made of thatch.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

FichtenFoo

1/24 might be difficult but who knows. It's full hull is about 5.5" long, 3" wide and 2.5" tall.
Chicks dig giant robots.

artizen

Delete the wheelhouse and it's definitely do-able in 1:24. Interesting thoughts.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
Brisbane, Australia

marc_reusser

Very cool. I like that the entire hull is open, and not just a space for the engine. And all the PE for the thin steel parts is really wonderful. (despite my somewhat personal dislike of working with PE  ;D )
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

A 1/24 scale Steampunk "Shorty African Queen"  ;D ;D

M-Works

artizen

Exactly what I was thinking - the hole at the back is just crying out for a vertical steam boiler with lots of copper entrails!!!!
Ian Hodgkiss
Brisbane, Australia

FichtenFoo

More progress on the Waldos before my "commission-break" to work on painting something for a toy company.

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/tag/waldo/

1: Primed w/ Black Duplicolor Primer
2: Airbrushed on Flat White Tamiya Acrylic
3: Satin clearcoat with Future Floor Acrylic mix
4: Sponged on paint chips using Vallejo Model Air colors in this order: Black-Gray, Burnt Umber, Mahogany (sparingly), and Ochre (sparingly)
5: Airbrushed on the following faint layers of Ak-Interactive Products: Blue-Brown Wash, Dark Streaking Grime, Engine Grime. Applied more towards floor of hull.
6: Stipple AK products to blend/randomize with deerfoot brush and Odorless Turpenoid
7: Let cure 24 hours
8: Flat-coat with Future Floor Acrylic mix
9: Airbrushed on the following faint layers of Ak-Interactive Products around upper rim of hull: Streaking Grime, then Rust Streaks
10: Using flat-angled brush and Odorless Turpenoid, push/pull/streak rust-toned-band down towards floor of hull.
11: Apply thinned washes of Track Wash on inside crease
12: Apply fuel stains with AK-Interactive Engine Oil and Fuel Stains
Chicks dig giant robots.

marc_reusser

Superb coloringa and ressults/effect. Thanks for the SBS.

Q: When you say "Flat Coat w/ Future Clear"....aer you mixing a Timiya Flat w/ the Future.....does this result in a semi-gloss/satin finish?

M-Works

FichtenFoo

Quote from: marc_reusser on June 06, 2013, 08:05:53 PM
Superb coloringa and ressults/effect. Thanks for the SBS.

Q: When you say "Flat Coat w/ Future Clear"....aer you mixing a Timiya Flat w/ the Future.....does this result in a semi-gloss/satin finish?

Thanks! Yeah, here's my little guide to mixing them up. What's not on there is that once mixed, I thin it about 1:1 with Tamiya Thinner. I thin my plain Future as well, but only about 30:70 ratio of Thinner:FFA

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/clear-coats-with-future-floor-acrylic/
Chicks dig giant robots.

shropshire lad

I just ordered my Waldo and I see that the hull comes in two parts . Would it be possible to put a filler piece between the halves to extend the length of the vessel ?

Looking good so far ,

Nick

marc_reusser

Nick,

I was thinking the same thing. My thought was that it would probably be possible to heat-form some .040 or .060 sheet styrene over a wood buck.

M-Works

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on June 07, 2013, 12:38:02 AM
Nick,

I was thinking the same thing. My thought was that it would be probably be possible to heat-form some .040 or .060 sheet styrene over a wood buck.

Good idea , Marc . Will you do two when you do yours ! . Ta very much ,

Nick

Marc988

Or shorten it   ;D

I came across the following movie by accident. The movie itself is more than impressive but when you look closely take a look at the tiny little ship maneuvering around.  :o

http://youtu.be/1Bwx8lDhLWE

Now think of it floating around the Remora and or Waldo.

5thwheel

Quote from: Marc988 on June 09, 2013, 01:27:02 PM
Or shorten it   ;D

I came across the following movie by accident. The movie itself is more than impressive but when you look closely take a look at the tiny little ship maneuvering around.  :o

http://youtu.be/1Bwx8lDhLWE

Now think of it floating around the Remora and or Waldo.

That is a little log bronc.  They are a miniature tug boat (not a ship) made just for herding logs. working with my father in law  I operated one named Napoleon (for a short time) at Deep River log dump.

Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.