• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Power Plant pics, Rocky River Dam, Lake Secession, South Carolina

Started by pwranta193, June 13, 2013, 12:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwranta193

Hey gents,

Long time no see.  I've have been working abroad and offline for some time, and am just now getting caught up on some of the new happenings around here.  Took these back in the Jan/Feb time frame.  This engine was originally part of a set in an early 1900's US Naval Cruiser (or the story goes), but no one knew which one.  It was re-purposed in the 30's as I understand it, and this beauty was about to be pulled out and replaced with a shiny new CAT model, as everything for this was having to be made from scratch.  I thought I'd save it here amongst like minded weirdos  ;D.

Sadly, there was no place within the structure to allow for a complete picture of the entire machine, so all I have are some detail angels. The original pics were taken with my phone in low lighting and are glorious  ::) - and I am struggling with dumbing them down from 1.5M to fit here.  I've got the bigger ones if anyone is ever interested down the road.  I've included the original controls, but even this older rig is hooked to a PC for operation and monitoring.  I had about five minutes on site, and am still wishing I had a real camera and some time.

Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

pwranta193

Part 2
Paul

pwranta193

Part 3... I wish I had taken more pictures of the structure now - with all of the cool brick work  ::)

Paul

pwranta193

Part 4 (I thought I had more of the fan somewhere  >:( )
Paul

pwranta193

Last two
Paul

marc_reusser

Paul,

Really great to see you back.

A very cool set of photos. They really show what an old piece of well maintained machinery looks like and how Iit weathers/wears. Thanks for posting.

Hope to see you around more if you get the time.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

Neat pictures! Although I have no idea what i am looking at!
You could model this, get it all wrong and only three people in the world would know you screwed it up! I love it!
Thanks for posting!
-Marty

Ray Dunakin

Awesome pics! If this equipment is being replaced, I hope someone will preserve it.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

pwranta193

LOL - yes Marty, as I was going through the images, I realized that there wasn't a single shot of the entire device.  I then remembered trying to get one whilst hanging from the stair case to no avail.

I think it is one of these, or pretty similar.  http://www.sterling-kansas.com/powerhistory2.htm
Busch Sulzer (part of the Adolphus Busch empire, I believe), seems to have been pretty prolific - In searching this out I saw references to submarine diesels and locomotives for the UK.
Paul

michael mott

Paul a great set of photographs, Are you going to build a model of a generating plant, that would be really cool, especially if it included some water.

Michael