• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Paint replacement??

Started by NORCALLOGGER, June 24, 2013, 09:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NORCALLOGGER

OK, Floquil is gone and everybody seems happy but my question is what is to be used to replace it?
My current concern is with "Grimy Black", what premixed color can be used in it's place?
Thanks for any pointers.
Rick

narrowgauger

suggest you try Nato Black in the Tamiya range of acrylics or Tanker Black in Vallelo.

both are relatively close to the grimy black.

keep in mind that Floquil "grimy black" is in essence a mix of black (70%) White 10% Buff 15% plus matt brown 5%.  The mix can be varied primarily through adding more buff and reducing the black.

have fun
BernardS

marc_reusser

Tamiya also has a color called "Rubber Tire" or "Rubber Black", or some such thing (I'm not at the bench), which is probably very close.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

NORCALLOGGER

Thanks for the input guys.
The Nato Black is too black for what I want.

Is anybody familiar with Badger's "Model Flex' line?
I am looking at the "Grimy Black BAD 16-03" and the "Weathered Black BAD 16-05"
I found them on line and they were only $2.40 per ounce bottle but they wanted
$13.50 for shipping. Crap, I don't think so.

Rick

narrowgauger

Rick

as noted in the earlier comments if Nato Black is "too black" for you, simply introduce more Buff or Deck Tan to the mix.  This will increase the "grimy" tone towards the Floquil Grimy Black.

In any event it is not good practice to use paint straight from the bottle, irrespective of colour.  You will get better results and tonal variety by introducing a differing tones by mixing in a balancing colour, such as Buff into Nato Black.  the amount required is small, but the results are infinite.

have fun
BernardS

eTraxx

Microscale has a Floquil Color Chart - Cross Reference up

They show Vallejo - Russian Uniform WW2 - Part# 70.924 #94 (Acrylic) as a replacement. The chart is good to bookmark .. they state at the top that .. "These won't be absolutely "bang on - dead ringers" but hopefully they will get you close enough into the ball park."
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

NORCALLOGGER

Bernard,
While I appreciate what your saying you have to understand I am just one of those dumb "railroad" modelers and I am probably not capable of mixing up repetitive batches of matching color over several months while I build and paint a 1:20 scale 3 truck Shay ;D

Ed,  Thanks much, that is a very useful reference!
Those paints I can get locally, maybe, and save 13.50 an ounce in shipping charges.

Rick

eTraxx

Rick,
You're welcome. I think Kudo's should be given to Micro Scale for doing this. At the very end they say "If you would like to contribute to this on-going reference, please free to email us at railroad@microscale.com" which indicates they intend to tweak this as time passes. Cool.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

JohnTolcher

Hi Rick

For what its worth, how you apply the paint may affect your choice. Tamiya acrylics are great for airbrushing, but can be difficult to brush paint. On the other hand Vallejo Model Color paints are good for painting by hand, very hard to airbrush.

Cheers
JT
Cheers
John in Australia

Lawton Maner

Got the latest catalogue from Micro Mark yesterday and they have a couple of dozen paints from Vallejo which they claim to be exact replacements for PollyScale from Floquil.

NORCALLOGGER

Thanks for the information, will have to look at that.
I managed to do what I wanted using Badger's Model Flex line.
It worked well with the air brush other than the problem of drying
in the tip if left sitting for more than a couple minutes. I hear that
is pretty standard for Acrylic paints.
Rick

Lawton Maner

Just keep a cup full of household ammonia beside the airbrush and dunk it into it after each use.  When I ran my cabinet shop and the nanny state insisted I switch to water-based finishes we cleaned the spray guns IMMEDIATELY after each use with the stuff because it is cheap and works.