• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Spider Webs how to make them

Started by johngeigle, June 26, 2013, 08:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johngeigle

I'm looking for the best way to make miniature spider webs can someone please point me in the right direction to an article or post here with a how to.
thanks much
John Geigle

Chuck Doan

In 1/16th scale I used cotton from a q-tip soaked in diluted white glue and teased out to form webs. Can't claim it to be the best way though.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Mr Potato Head

you teased them out ???
like hey Mr. spider I bet you can't spin a web ::)
or hey Mr. spider your mama's so fat cause she ate your dad!  :o :o
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

johngeigle

Thanks Chuck, that looks great I will give that a shot. I have also heard about using testors glue and pressing it between your fingers and pulling it apart make good webs but I cannot figure out how to get it off my fingers to glue to model.

Tom Neeson

No Scribed Siding!

NE Brownstone

I wonder if you could use real spiders to do the work?  I have a bunch of them tiny guys that you can hardly see that spin webs in my basement.  I bet if you contain them under a jar and let them work for awhile then dust the webs with a clear coat or maybe even a white it might make them permanent. ;D

Hmm, might have to round up a few and see if it'll work.
Russ
The other, other Russ

eTraxx

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Bexley

You could probably do something similar with rubber cement. That's what we used in the web gun when I used to build sets for commercials. The web gun was basically just a tin can with three holes in the bottom edge, around the perimeter, mounted to a fan blade. The whole thing was chucked into a drill. When you spun the drill, centripetal force would shoot tiny strands of cement out the holes, and the fan blade caused them to dry in the air, as well as propel them onto whatever we were webbing. It might also work using slightly thinned cement and a cheap external mix airbrush, like the $12 one you can get at Harbor Freight.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack