• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

3D Printing - General Thread

Started by marc_reusser, July 31, 2013, 02:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Looks as though cleanup will be minimal. That turned out quite well. -- Russ

Juke Joint

Is the microscope for inspection only? Can you modify / trim parts under magnification such as where the bolt heads bleed into the bollard. Parts look ok.

eTraxx

When you plug the USB cable in you view everything on the monitor. With set at the lower resolution the microscope/camera body is about two inches from what you are looking at so .. yeah .. you prob be helpful to fix the stand securely so it didn't move when bumped but I should be able to do some work under it .. such as the area where the bolt heads bleed into body. I think Shapeways has improved their printing .. seems to have a lot less layering.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

eTraxx

First look - 1:48 Bottles and Crates

• Got these in today. I used a Budweiser as a 'model' for the bottles and mostly just 'guesstamated' the crates. These are as they came .. haven't cleaned them yet.
  • I have some Gloss Modge Podge and Orange and Brown Icing Color - will see if I can get them to look like brown glass.
  • Crates .. I remember that the older ones for soda were gray wood where the paint had worn off .. and they were .. unless new .. faded paint.

Ed Traxler

marc_reusser

Look nice. Look forward to seeing how they clean up and finish.

FWIW.....I have used Tamiya clear gloss paints for colored glass and been pretty happy with the results.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

eTraxx

Bottle brown .. Mod Podge + Orange & Brown Icing Color (a gel food color) .. first coat
Ed Traxler

Ray Dunakin

Nice! They look a lot smoother than I thought they'd be, judging from the unpainted photo.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

eTraxx

Ray -
I think that's mostly an artifact of the way the camera was looking for that pic. Still .. considering the size they came out pretty good. I am of the opinion that the brown color is .. 'good nuff' .. for now .. but I made the 37 mi. round trip to town an picked up some gloss Tamiya colors for the next time (per Marc's suggestion).

I used my macro lens to take a snap of bottles in an unpainted crate (I couldn't help it) .. and while they don't look perfect .. from a normal viewing distance they will be ok.
Ed Traxler

eTraxx

I got my 1:24 crates and bottles in today and used the Macro lens to snap a couple of pics. They are just as they came and need a little cleaning I think before painting.

Ed Traxler

eTraxx

another view .. trying to get a good photo of these whitish/translucent prints I find difficult.
Ed Traxler

Mobilgas

Ed,   Bottles and crates look good.  I could use some in both scales ;D
Craig

eTraxx

Craig -
I'm uploaded various mixes of bottles, crates etc. to Shapeways. I am linking from my website directly to the Shapeways store .. you can find them under 'Details'. Still need to upload 1:24 bottles.

http://micromimesis.com/pcategory/details/
Ed Traxler

finescalerr

I think I mentioned this once about a year ago: Ed is very adept with SketchUp and spent about an hour on the phone tutoring me. My point is both to compliment him and also to stress that any of us could use the same free program to achieve similar results. I find Ed's post very inspirational. -- Russ