• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

3D Printing - General Thread

Started by marc_reusser, July 31, 2013, 02:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mabloodhound

Those came out great Ed.   Maybe Shapeways has improved their handling and printing process.   Sure were speedy this time around.
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

eTraxx

Yep, my thoughts too. I believe I read that they changed the support material (wax) to lessen the layering
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Hauk

But as the saying goes; The proof of the pudding is in the primer.

I find it hard to judge Shapeways parts before they are primed. So I am looking forward to see the parts painted!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

eTraxx

The ventilators were sanded lightly with 600 grit sandpaper, primed, sanded again and primed. The hardest thing is that they are so darn small this is a relatively delicate operation. I wonder if a Q-Tip with rubbing compound might work. Still .. think they came out pretty well. That small one is stuck on a toothpick the other two on Q-Tips.

Ed Traxler

Hauk

Quote from: eTraxx on August 03, 2014, 05:04:03 PM
The ventilators were sanded lightly with 600 grit sandpaper, primed, sanded again and primed.

Looking damn close to perfect!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

I would never guess the parts were 3-D printed or less than perfect from studying those photos. -- Russ

eTraxx

The primer helped quite a bit. The hardest thing for me is that they are so small and so hard to sand. David Emery pointed me to these Plastic Sanding Needles. Look to be useful even if not perfect for this. I'm going to drop by today and  pick up some cosmetic sponges .. want to try seeing if rubbing or polishing compound and a Q-Tip will smooth them. Notice that the walls of the "sheet metal" are quite thick .. they are .020 in. .. but I think a little sanding along the edge will hide that thickness
Ed Traxler

Ray Dunakin

Thanks for that link. I definitely can use those plastic sanding needles!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

eTraxx

I picked up some buffing compound at Lowes .. some Porter Cable #3 'Cleaning Compound' and #4 'Polishing Compound'.  These are sticks that you on a buffing wheel but they worked 'good nuff' on a Q-Tip.

I must apologize for the fingers .. I was putting brake pads on my truck before the pic :)

Ed Traxler

finescalerr

Although you might benefit from a manicure your ventilators wouldn't. I still contend they look quite good. -- Russ

eTraxx

Formlabs - Formlabs Form 1+ 3D Printer

• Form1+ : $3299
  • 1 liter Resin  :  $149 – Clear, White, Gray and Black.
  • Material properties  : ABS-like Acrylate Photopolymer Resin
  • Build Volume : 125 x 125 x165 mm / 4.9 x 4.9 x 6.5 in.
  • Layer thickness : 25, 50, or 100 microns / .025, .050, or .1 mm
  • Min feature Size  : 300 microns / .3 mm
I spoke to Jon Bryant at Formlabs. He said that any questions to contact him at jon@formlabs.com or phone: 617.932.5227 ext766

I was really impressed with the sample they sent. This was printed at the 100 micron layer thickness – taking a couple of hours.  Printing at 25 microns would take approximately four times as long.

This in a way acts as a lead-in to Shapeways FUD. Shapeways charges $3.49 cm3 for FUD (Frosted Ultra Detail). The 1 liter of resin from Formlabs costs $149 .. which works out to $0.15 cm3. While there may be a difference in resin cost between what Shapeways and Formalabs use I suspect that the major cost difference is the print time is figured into the Shapeways charge.
Formlabs says that 77 of the chess pieces could be printed from one bottle of resin. That works out to 1000 cm3/77 or each chess piece having a volume of 13 cm3. At $.015 per cm3 for the resin then each chess piece would cost you $2. That same volume at Shapeways would be 13 x $3.49 or $45.37 .. not counting the $5 handling charge and approximate $5 shipping.

I haven't sawn, beaten, stomped or otherwise tried to kill the chess piece. Just holding it in my hands it appears to be solid, strong and durable. It (the resin) is described as "like ABS". Jon mentioned that if you go to the community forum there is the usual 'formeze discussions' .. that some have electroplated the plastic (yes .. ABS can be electroplated) to increase the strength of parts.

Is it worth $3299 to you? Donno. Would it be useful in Model Railroading / Military Modeling in creating your own parts? Sure.

I'm impressed with the quality of the sample they sent me. This machine is .. IMO .. where 3D printers take off from 'kit built' to professional printers.

The sample came to me nicely packaged as you see here. It is a rook that would I think make any chess player happy to have (well .. unless they were of the *cough* .. elite such as from Hollywood or Washington D.C.

Looks pretty darn good. There is some layering evident next to my thumb and just above where the base necks down to the spiral trunk. Remember this was printed at the 100 micron layer. Obviously, printing at 50 microns would reduce that layering by half and printing at 25 microns by a quarter .. of course the printing time would increase proportionally.

A view from the top and we can see the helical stairs spiraling down into the body of the tower and the lettering nicely done on top.

This isn't a review of the printer - I don't have one. Just an overview and a look at a sample printed piece.
Ed Traxler

marc_reusser

Cool. Thanks for the review/report.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Wesleybeks

Found an article about these guys today. I love the concept. Will be interesting to see if the idea works though.

http://www.solidsmack.com/fabrication/igo3d-is-the-first-and-fanciest-3d-print-store-in-germany/

Their website

https://www.igo3d.com/
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

Bexley

Huh. It makes sense now that I think about it, but the idea of Kinko's for 3D prints had never occurred to me.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Chuck Doan

Thanks for the report Ed. I wonder how much of a learning curve there is with these printers. I know there a group on Flickr dedicated to 3D print failures...
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/