• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

3D Printing - General Thread

Started by marc_reusser, July 31, 2013, 02:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mspaw

ill be interested in how that works out. Im sure they just want less edge cases they have to work through.

-Michael

Hauk

Quote from: mspaw on March 09, 2014, 02:48:24 PM
ill be interested in how that works out. Im sure they just want less edge cases they have to work through.

-Michael

What I heard is that due to a big increase in business, SW has hired a lot of rather inexperienced people. These people do not have the experience and confidence to make judgements on an individual basis, they just stick to the rules.

But I think that SW should keep track of what models that have printed OK before, that should save them some work.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

eTraxx

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

chester

finescalerr

If I were an artist, I would want one of those for Christmas. I'm not certain what application it would have in fine modeling but it is COOL! Thanks for the link. -- Russ

TRAINS1941

Quote from: finescalerr on May 02, 2014, 11:57:33 AM
If I were an artist, I would want one of those for Christmas. I'm not certain what application it would have in fine modeling but it is COOL! Thanks for the link. -- Russ

Image how easy it would be to publish a book!!!! :)

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

eTraxx

With the help of a plugin - Curviloft .. I brewed up some Cowl Ventilators for a ship I am building in O scale for my layout. The Boiler Room Hatch ventilators are slightly larger then the ones used on the Engine Room Hatch. I also made some N scale versions. Curious to see how they print in the smaller scale. In any case .. the plugin Curviloft .. "lofts along a path" .. pretty handy tool.

Ed Traxler

finescalerr

Please photograph and post the printed parts. -- Russ

lab-dad

Looks like stacks for a flathead with 8 carbs!
Very cool!
-Mj

mabloodhound

Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

marc_reusser

Great find Ed. Thanks for the share. This will come in very handy...I have struggled with stuff like this using work around and radial extrusions...so this looks like it wil be a great help and time saver.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

eTraxx

Yep. Figured it was worth sharing. If you look at this link to my blog .. scroll down to where it says "Outer Skin" .. and you can see it just consists of selecting each of the circles, the path and clicking the tool. That easy.

http://etraxx.com/sbs/sketchup/cowl-ventilator/cowl-ventilator-iv/
Ed Traxler

eTraxx

I placed the order with Shapeways for the Cowl Ventilators on the 23rd .. and just got an email this morning that they are in-route! Wowzier .. 5 days from placing the order to shipping. I am impressed Shapeways!!
Ed Traxler

eTraxx

Here's how it comes from Shapeways. The smallest ventilators are in a separate baggie. The larger bag was inside a box packed with styrofoam nuggets.
The photos below are how they came from the company. I haven't cleaned them yet but they are pretty clean of the wax support material as they are. I will still clean them though using Bestine.

This is the largest Cowl Ventilator. The cowl is 0.876 O.D. and the trunk is 0.438 O.D. with a 0.340 O.D. 'stud'. The 0.438 and 0.340 dimensions are those of Evergreen #234 tubing. This will allow making the trunk as long as needed.

This is the medium sized cowl ventilator. The cowl is 0.688 O.D. and the trunk is 0.344 O.D. with a 0.288 O.D. stud. The 0.344 O.D and 0.288 O.D. dimensions match Evergreen #231 tubing so the trunk can be made as long as needed.

This is the smallest cowl ventilator (N scale). The cowl is 0.250 O.D. and the trunk is 0.125 O.D. with a 0.069 O.D. stud. The 0.125 O.D. and 0.069 O.D. dimensions match Evergreen #224 tubing so the trunk can be made as long as needed.
(Excuse the rough looking fingers. I was out earlier putting brake drums and shoes on my truck)

Finally, a photo with all three grouped together with a nickel. I'll take some more photos after I have cleaned and primered them but I wanted to get these photos out now.
Ed Traxler

finescalerr

The parts seem to be free of artifacts. The surfaces may be a little grainy (it's hard to tell) but I'm not seeing rings or steps or other resolution related problems. -- Russ