• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

3D Printing - General Thread

Started by marc_reusser, July 31, 2013, 02:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guy Milh(imeter)

3D printing seems to be more and more integrated.

I saw an advertisement in the sundaypaper for an evening course where you can learn the skils of 3D printing. Apparently they will use a bioprinter with the use of starch

Hauk

I am testing out different printers for my mineral wagon in 0-scale.
Just got a print from Prescision Wax in the UK, it is printed on a Solidscape printer:

The Wrench size of the hex nuts are 0,7mm. (0,0275")
Width of the parts are 1,35mm (0,053")

That hex nut detail is quite good in my opinion!

Not enitrely sure about layer thickness, but I would guess 25 microns, even if the printer is capable of 12,7 microns.

This is a wax print, so it can either be used to make a second generation master for a rubber mould (the non-RTV kind used by several casters) or directly to a RTV rubber mould for making waxes for casting.

This part cost me £ 30.00 (USD 50,-) including postage & handling. Took around a week from delivering the stl to receiving the unharmed wax by Royal Mail. Excellent service. FineLine quoted USD 168,- for the same part...

(please do not mind the layout of the parts, the design has since been revised several times!)
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

I've seen cast metal parts much worse than that and rarely have I seen metal parts better than that. Looks as though you hit the bullseye. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Hauk

I am in a bit of research mode, so I ordered the same print in wax from Shapeways. This is the same printer they use for their metal parts, so I was interested in seeing the part before casting.

It is printed with 16 micron layers, so in that department it is even better than the Solidscape print from Prescision Wax.

But as you can see, build layer thickness is not everything:

Most annoying is the surface pattern, that is something that also bothered me with the brass part I got from Shapeways.
The hex nut detail is nowhere as sharp as the Solidscape print.

The wax is also softer and more sticky, I would not consider using this part for a RTV mould.

I feel that Solidscape waxes could be used for RTV moulds, but waxes are probably most useful when you need a one-off metal part or a metal master. 

It was in fact a disappointment that the surface detail was that rough on a 16 micron layer printer, and that edge sharpness was not better.

Here is another image of the Prescision Wax part. It is claear from the images that this part was printed with 25 micron layers. But the Solidscape printer can print with 12,7micron layers so the part could have been even better!

I feel we have almost arrived...

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Chuck Doan

Quite a difference!

On another note, I ordered a part from Shapeways today and noticed an orientation option! But alas, it is only for the image for your shop, not a print orientation. :'(

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Mr Potato Head

when we started this conversation a few years back, I thought,.......only $30,000 wow that's about the price of a car, that's affordable,......
when do you get in? Everyone wanted a I phone, now look where that's at
one could assume that my flying car is right around the corner for $29,500 ?
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

eTraxx

? The 'Pre-Order' price for that machine is  $1,099 .. seems a lot less then a car to me
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

finescalerr

What level of resolution do we need for fine modeling? I would say a printer must be capable of turning out HO scale parts of the same quality as commercially injected plastic. And what would the price be for that? -- Russ

Mr Potato Head

Ed
that's what I'm trying to convey
in a short time the price has gone from 30K to 1K
Future Shock!
Any day now I want my flying car!
Think how much the government will save on TSA
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

eTraxx

Making a WAG .. I would say that level of detail printing in 5 years. I suspect the price will be high though. I figure .. 10 years before that level of printing at a reasonable price .. I could be wrong and hope I am.
Ed Traxler

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on September 03, 2014, 12:31:43 PM
What level of resolution do we need for fine modeling? I would say a printer must be capable of turning out HO scale parts of the same quality as commercially injected plastic. And what would the price be for that? -- Russ

I think that the the ultimate challenge is to print something with the same level of detail, surface smoothness and general fantasticness as the most intricate injection moulded parts by GrandtLine.

It suddenly strikes me that we might never get there :-\
Regards, Hauk
--

Lawton Maner

I feel that the limiting factor as to surface finish will eventually be the size of the particle laid down by the machine.  But, since each piece of the finished product is made by a process which is like stacking tiny bricks one upon another the surface finish will always have a "grain" which is noticeable under magnification.

eTraxx

The other day I bought a Celestron USB microscope. I used it this morning to snap a pic and a short video of an O scale double-head bitt I had printed at Shapeways. Neat toy ... heck .. didn't even know it would do the video thing until I was clicking earlier in the software. Duh! :)

video
Ed Traxler