• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Pile Driver

Started by Barney, September 27, 2013, 03:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

Next project - Looking for details -plans - measurements (yes Gordon measurements) for early 1900 to 1920 era mobile pile drivers -found some very poor photos of Holts and Keystones -but not much more and some idea of how they worked
Barney

marc_reusser

I have a number of catalogs with construction and road construction equipment....will have a look to see what I can find...Be a few days though.

Darryl Huffman here on the forum, has numerous old road and construction equipment catalogs on CD's that he sells. He may know of one that has good info on it.

Just in case...would a Mack truck mounted one do?

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Design-HSB

Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

darrylhuffman

I'm always interested in pile drivers but I have no plans or drawings for anything mobile.

I guess a mobile pile driver would be great for fence posts and guard rail posts.

Maybe an automotive or truck forum would help.

There are groups devoted to old construction equipment online.

Sounds like a great research project.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: marc_reusser on September 27, 2013, 03:42:39 AM

Just in case...would a Mack truck mounted one do?

No it would not !!!

He is already building my Model T tractor, don't encourage him  ;) ;)

I might have something for Barney , leave it with me

p.s. You don't do measurements , that and wanting to change your painting style whatever next
Gordon

Barney

Did you know there is a Pile Drivers association - sounds pain full to me -could bring tears to your eyes !!

Gordon Ferguson

Funny can't find anything on Mack but these give some basic info

Gordon

mabloodhound

If you go to Google books here: http://books.google.com/books?id=0UJttWHSwNYC images 397 to 404 (pages 88-89) give some good info on the pile driver, including dimensions   You can download the PDF of this book to your computer by clicking on the "gear" in the upper right corner.
8)
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

chester

I have just this.

Les

Barney
I stared drawing a Keystone Scraper based on a series of photos of one somewhere in the US. I think a link was on this site. I have been able to locate, measure and photograph one in New Zealand. I have not at this stage corrected my drawing as it was started with some basic measurements and not much detail. I have about 100 photos of the local one but it has been restored incorporating some series modifications, ie all the timber frame has been abandoned and replaced with steel channels. I have also been able to measure the original boiler. I can post my drawing to date of the scraper, what scale are you needing.
Les

Barney

Thanks to you all for the info and photos -no excuses now
Les - it will be in 1/35th
Barney

Les

Barney
My preliminary drawing for the skimmer  (not shown as it does not fit onto an A4 sheet) I will sot out a link for the photos as they are a large file
Les

Les

Changed the PDF to a jpg
Les

marc_reusser

Probably  not what you are after...but cthought of a truck mounted crane (which were common), using one ofmthese types of drivers.

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works