• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/16 Diorama - Backyard Hospital Supply Railway (inspired by Lainz)

Started by mad gerald, October 02, 2013, 12:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

mad gerald

G'day all,

Still dabbling, not really modelling ...  ::) ... this time because accidentally I discovered a modern Feldbahn bulkhead flatcar in a flickr photo stream, formerly being used in a secret military plant (infrastructure still classified) in the Gotthard area (Switzerland), that I have never seen before ... manufactured by Arnold Neuweiler, Bern. Just in case of increasing curiosity type in the following search terms in your search engine ... "disused underground train svizzera" ... and you'll eventually find 1 oder even 2 pics showing this type of wagon ...  

This bulkhead flatcar has special structured shapes at the corners to hold the wooden boards (of the bulkheads), apart from it's very unique appearance in general.  I modified the shapes at the corners a little bit, so it's not only possible to slide in the wooden boards for the bulkheads but alongside as well, i. e. to prevent freight from falling off. Therefore I used different (and modified) L-shaped styrene strips. The "wooden boards" are made from card board and are just a mock up to see if it works. The whole bulkhead set-up can easily be mounted on my modern flatcar chassis, as it requires just some minor changes.

Cheers

marc_reusser

I should look through the old family photo albums, my grandfather was stationed in/at the Gotthard Tunnel and the adjacent underground installations. :D
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

mad gerald

G'day all,

The well-disposed reader may have asked himself: What was going on in the meantime? Well, well, well ... almost nothing, apart from suffering from a lack of spare time and not being very ethusiastic regarding modelling. So the fact remains: half a dozen shelf orphans not even half finished.

Where do we go from here?

Areas of the styrene of the battery powered critter became yellow, apart from the fact that I don't like some details anymore. Either I can manage a revision or I'm going to build a new one. Apart from the fact, that this
EFAG Akkulok at the Feldbahnmuseum in Otelfingen (Switzerland) and this Diesel-Draisine x92 at the Lilliputbahn (Prater/Vienna) are very tempting too ...  ::)

Some more modern Feldbahnwagen (bulkhead flat cars) will follow.

Building the (nano)layout is proceeding very slooowly ...

Cheers

finescalerr

There may be a reason you have lost interest in the project. Maybe you can tell it just won't satisfy you when it is done. Try something that inspires you. -- Russ

Barney

Take a deep breath - put in storage - and inspire - a wall a pipe and a drain
Barney

Hosted on Fotki

mad gerald

G'day all,

Plastic surgery was successful ... :) ... I removed the front part of that battery powered critter using my Boehler circular saw and razor-sharp cutter.

Apart from minor damages on some parts, which I had to make two or three times, everything went swimmingly ... but that does not really matter, because this only is going to be the "beta version" ... I guess  ::)

Following a recommendation I set the sawblade on 45° while sawing the styrene from underneath, which caused a better results while sharp bending the styrene and after "glueing" these parts using acetone the notch is almost invisible.

The black storage-battery case was just a card board mock-up, which I then used as a prototype building the one from styrene.

I only seem to have some troubles at the moment shooting nice and crisp photos ... :(

Cheers

finescalerr

About your problem shooting "crisp" photos: Maybe you just need more light. Typical consumer and cell phone cameras are optimized for full sun. -- Russ

mad gerald

Quote from: finescalerr on February 08, 2015, 01:22:09 PM
About your problem shooting "crisp" photos: Maybe you just need more light. Typical consumer and cell phone cameras are optimized for full sun. -- Russ
... thanks for your feeback, Russ ... (that'S what I had in mind too) ... but these shots were taken with a Lumix FZ150, which should IMHO do better ...  ::) ??? :P

mad gerald

G'day all,

My version of a modern bulkhead wagon is heavily inspired by a type of wagon, built by Arnold Neuweiler in Switzerland, which was formerly used - even for passenger transportation purposes - at a secret military plant in the Gotthard area.

This unmodified pic from the Flickr-gallery of user Kecko, shown here with regard and respect to the user defined terms in Creative Commons shows the prototype:

The main difference between the prototype and my version is, that the axle-boxes are not mounted at the unserside of the lower frame. The axle-bearings will be in the frame (kinda sub-frame), similar to the wagons formerly serving at the hospital supply railway in Lainz/Vienna. Therefore the lower frame has to be a little higher. Furthermore my bulk head wagon will be a little smaller/more delicate, compared to the prototype. Making wooden boards for the bulkhead is still in progress ...

lab-dad

Geeze a couple of those wagons an old lawn tractor and some track and ................

-Marty

mad gerald

G'day all,

In another Feldbahn related forum I recently discovered a thread regarding the overhaul of a BBU Storage Battery locomotive. This locomotive is IMHO very suitable to scratchbuild a model of it, especially regarding a low tech workshop (desk), lack of (spare) time and occasional limitation of skills.

Only using the accessable pics I build a mock up from card board for checking proportions. Not THAT bad for a start, but I very much would appreciate some basic dimensions to improve on it. I'll glam up the mock up with some colour to raise a better impression what it's going to look like ...

Cheers

finescalerr

mad gerald

Quote from: finescalerr on July 11, 2015, 11:54:36 PM
Are you back to work on that project? Good! -- Russ
... yup ...

Ummm, well ... I made some drawings, printed them and glued them on the card board ("fast and dirty solution") so you can get a better impression on how a BBU-Akkulok looks like. Proportion are only estimated, details are not really important yet ... just to make a first impression ...