• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

diesel powered Willamette

Started by chester, October 05, 2013, 08:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester

Back in the 40's West side Lumber in Calif. replaced the steam power on their loader winches with GM diesels. Recently, Camp 8 Models released this 1/87 scale model. I built the engine and winch so far and am thinking of putting it on something other than the skids that came with the kit.

Junior

Seems like a nice kit, saw a review in the Gazette. Great start Chester and looking forward to follow the build.

Anders

NE Brownstone

Hmm, didn't realize my photos were that bad.

Lidgerwood winch which was converted to IC by adding a sprocket to the crank disk, which I assume is what they did on the real thing your model was modeled after.  I guess someone grabbed the engine at some time.

The sniped log end is from a sinker cypress, or deadhead, that was recovered somewhere in the swamp.  The puppies (pins) sticking in the side and the chain were still attached meaning the cable broke during the pull and the log sank.

Before sniping was standard practice, the loggers would connect a sheet metal cone with tongs inside to drag the logs out.  Needless to say, 200-300lb steel cones aren't easy to maneuver in an environment like a swamp, so one day one of the colored workers suggested that he could put a point on a log in less than a minute (?) and do away with the cones altogether.  I've added a pic of the cones.

Chester, sorry about the hijack.  Just adding some interesting tidbits about swamp logging for everyone's personal edification.  It really only started with the one winch pic. Roll Eyes
Russ
The other, other Russ

NE Brownstone

stupid over sized cone pic

Oh, and BTW, if anyone is down around Patterson, LA you should go check out the Cypress Sawmill Museum.  Great aircraft museum in same building, too.

http://www.crt.state.la.us/museum/properties/LSMpatterson.aspx

Russ
The other, other Russ

marc_reusser

It is either in the Clyde or Willamette catalog, but they have a photo of IIRC, a 'stump pulling machine'...and this was a big unit..to pull big stumps....but it was on a steel skid frame...and had a short boom...always thought it was a neat contraption.

That kit photo showing the finished build, looks really suspect to me...the sled IMO is all wrong....I would not copy that if you do decide to go with a wood skid frame.....I cannot recall ever seeing a skid frame that looked like that. (but then in logging,  there is always the exception weird step-child.......but still I would not do this skid design).
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works