• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

RTV Rubber vendor?

Started by Lawton Maner, October 28, 2013, 08:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawton Maner

Not all of us have moved over to Shapeways to reproduce parts we need for modeling.  My old vendor for RTV died on me a couple of years ago, and I need to make some new moulds.  Can anyone suggest who I should deal with?

Ray Dunakin

This company makes and sells all kinds of silicone molding compounds, as well as casting resins, etc:

http://www.smooth-on.com

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

darrylhuffman

The company Ray recommends seems to be the most highly praised of the companies I know about.

I also like the materials offered by Micro Mark but I do not do a large number of castings.

I think the Smooth-On is best for large amounts of casting.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

Lawton Maner

Thanks Ray.  And the trial sizes are quite affordable.

Juke Joint

Have been using Silicone, Inc GI 1000 in the Carolinas,  but hands down Dow Corning HS II is the superior material for longevity. Dow is about $75.00 higher per 4lb tub compared to $105 @ Silicon, Inc.

Also heard outstanding praise of Smooth-on.

Philip

finescalerr

If you need yet another suggestion, there's a place here in southern California my friend Bob Uniack uses. I'll look up the name if you want it. -- Russ

Seattle Dave

Quote from: finescalerr on October 31, 2013, 11:44:54 AM
If you need yet another suggestion, there's a place here in southern California my friend Bob Uniack uses. I'll look up the name if you want it. -- Russ

Might that be Vagabond Corporation?

D
Dave VanderWal

finescalerr

I thought it was in one of his articles but I guess not. The manufacturer is Silplastic and comes from a distributor in Southern California. -- Russ

Max Corey

I used to use Silicone SRP from the Castolite Corporation.  Light blue when mixed... it held up great and I still use some of the complex molds I made with lots of undercuts with success.

Max trying many new (to him) things in MI
A screw up on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine.

Lawton Maner

And there is a local vendor who carries the entire line of Smooth On's products just around the corner from my favorite lumber dealer. :)