• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Gas Mechanical Bash

Started by marc_reusser, July 26, 2008, 01:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krusty

On Jung locos the seat was more substantial. Mounting a toolbox on the back of the loco as on the other Jung is also rather good.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Krusty

Of course, there were some more up-market locos with padded seats (still fixed, though) for greater comfort.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons

Krusty

A reasonable number of locos had a tool compartment hinged at the top, like this O&K, but they were usually set up so that the operator sat side-saddle, rather than facing forward.
Kevin Crosado

marc_reusser

Kevin
Thanks for all the info and great photos. Yep...the dreaded "off center/corner seat" or the "side-aaddle" set-up....buth of which have been haunting me since the beginning. Unfortunately because of my already established clutch pedal and other lever locations/arrangement, I am going to have to stay with the center seat....though even uo until I glued it on, I was still trying to figure a way to do the corner. Maybe on the next one.

John
Ahhh.... now I get what you were after. Thanks. On the second jerry-rigged set-up, it was OK, because I had the vac on even before I began heating the plastic with the heat gun. This way as soon as it sobegan softening it began sucking down/forming.

Dan
Sure...throw it back at me ;D ;D ;D

Frank
I agree metal is the best way....unfortunately I am extremely horrible at anything having to do with soldering or metal work.....and I don't seem to have the patience to learn. Maybe some day  :-\ .

Chuck
You did use pigments...it was just all the in-between and other steps that got in the way ;) ;D

I think the rear cab wall detailing is pretty much done. I now need to do the toolbox latch, then finish the remaining levers & controls, and then I think I will be ready to start with painting....and making some of the small details like the tool box, bucket, and seat cushion.

........hmmm maybe some antlers, and some chains draped over the bonnet  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Krusty

Quote........hmmm maybe some antlers, and some chains draped over the bonnet

That'll be funner. You'll be posting the rest of this thread on the On30 Conspiracy then?
Kevin Crosado

Chuck Doan

Great photos, Kevin!

Marc, I wonder how you can modulate a pink loco? Even funner!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

Oooh Pink... ;D

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Quote from: Krusty on October 08, 2008, 05:30:51 AM
That'll be funner. You'll be posting the rest of this thread on the On30 Conspiracy then?

;D ;D ;D

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

WHEW!...I think I will be able to save face using the metal seat.....or at least I have found something to back up a lame excuse ;) ;D ;D.

Note at the very top in the Photo (this is a Jenbach JW10A) there is a sheet matal cover UNDER the wood seat planks....so....errr...."my planks fell off". ;D ;D ;D (At least this image now explains why the Jenbach drawings I was referring to showed a sheet metal seat  ::) )

M-Works

marc_reusser

I am sure you guys are all pretty bored of seeing pics of this thing, so here finally is the completed build, before going to paint. It only took 11 weeks and close to 200 rivets....but I actually got something finished ;D.

For it's size and simplicity, this turned out to be a really good learning/growth project. I got to buy and use punch-and-die sets, I got to experiment with home vacuum forming, and at the very end I even got to experiment with soldering brass using paste solder...........and I got a lot of great help, input, and participation from you all here. Thanks!......All-in-all the kind of stuff I am after whenever I tackle a project.

The next step will be to wash the sub assemblies with warm water & dish soap, and then apply the primer coats.

Marc

M-Works

Franck Tavernier

Hi Marc,

Wow, very, very good stuff! I like very much and you have done remarkable work! I like too the throttle lever...

Where did you find the brake lever? Precision Scale?

One thing : It would be nice if you add an instrument panel on the front bulkhead  ;)

Krusty

Quoteso here finally is the completed build, before going to paint. It only took 11 weeks and close to 200 rivets....but I actually got something finished

Marc, you've certainly succeeded in making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Looking forward to the paint job.
Kevin Crosado

chester

Outstanding, and yes please walk us through the paint and finishing processes.

TrevorCreek

Marc,

Excellent job on the build.  True craftsmanship at its best!!! ;D  Looking forward to the painting of this beauty.

Frank

marc_reusser

Thanks guys,

All your input, critique and encouragement has been a great help and motivator.

I do plan on further boring you with some form of painting SBS.

Franck: Yes, the lever is from PSC....I can't recall the part number (I will check the catalog).....I just by chance happened to find it the other day while at the hobby shop and going through their PSC drawers (they usually have everything except for the parts I need ;D).....I did modify the lever by cutting off the linkage and remainder of the handle below the ratchet.

Marc

M-Works