• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Gas Mechanical Bash

Started by marc_reusser, July 26, 2008, 01:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

Photos and full match report to follow .

Marc ,

I've got a fully operational 1/35th scale layout so send it along . By the way , Bernard managed to shoehorn a set of radio control gubbins into my Hesketh Scale Models O&K MD2 http://www.heskethscalemodels.com/ so getting one into you Gas mechanical should be a piece of piss ( as they say up North) .

What you will see ( when I post the photos ) is the future of model railroading . DCC is dead . Not too strong a statement I hope .

Nick

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 12, 2013, 09:25:32 PM
Thank you for all the kind comments.

Franck;
Thankfully the color does come across more "yellow"  in the images than it is in real (it is a grey paint color). I think it is partially a chromatic abberation of the wash that was applied, to try and represent the yellow brown shading one gets when grey sheet metal is rubbed down with an oily rag....part of it is also the beige undercoat of the grey that I did to try and create an old mottled paint look. 

The yellowish tint could prove trpublesome...though hopefully not....as this loco will be receiving a very heavy coat and acculmulation of dust and dried mud. Have some brickwork locos that I am using for reference.

Ok Mark, I expect to see more eagerly!

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 12, 2013, 09:25:32 PM
...and unfortunately, nobody has a 1/35 layout where it could find an eventual home.

Mark the Rougeault quarry was a 1:35 layout, indeed small, but it was 1:35 scale layout...

So, it's possible to have at home, a 1:35 layout...I'm on my new network project mining, Les Eduits, but time fails me greatly, and I have not moved an inch ...Remember ...

;) Franck

artizen

A railway hanging off a cliff.. it must be built, it must be built, it must be built...

And yes, I can vouch for the 1:35 diesevils running around on top of the table at the convention. I think Bernard has another convert to RC here. And maybe even in 1:35 but I feel a strong beckoning in 1:24 road vehicles as well.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: shropshire lad on April 13, 2013, 12:17:19 AM
Bernard managed to shoehorn a set of radio control gubbins into my Hesketh Scale Models O&K MD2 http://www.heskethscalemodels.com/ so getting one into you Gas mechanical should be a piece of piss ( as they say up North) . What you will see ( when I post the photos ) is the future of model railroading . DCC is dead . Not too strong a statement I hope .
Nick

Nick, how are you doing with Bernard, for your models, if you want to have sound system in your models and the radio control?

Franck

jacq01

Hi Frank,

greetings from down under.
  Discussing sound and light with Bernard, he was not too enthusiastic about it. Not natural (sound) and not used much in feldbahnn use.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

shropshire lad

Quote from: Franck Tavernier on April 14, 2013, 03:24:18 AM
Quote from: shropshire lad on April 13, 2013, 12:17:19 AM
Bernard managed to shoehorn a set of radio control gubbins into my Hesketh Scale Models O&K MD2 http://www.heskethscalemodels.com/ so getting one into you Gas mechanical should be a piece of piss ( as they say up North) . What you will see ( when I post the photos ) is the future of model railroading . DCC is dead . Not too strong a statement I hope .
Nick

Nick, how are you doing with Bernard, for your models, if you want to have sound system in your models and the radio control?

Franck

Franck ,

I am doing very well with Bernard and I already have one loco ( O&K MD2 ) that is radio controlled . Sound will probably not be included . On his list of locos to do for me , and others , are some more of the small Volos Brickworks Decauville that he has built for himself . Then I will be set to run trains on the layout I am planning . And guess what , the photos above that you posted here 5 years ago are the inspiration for the French mining layout in 1/35th that I want to build . I have scoured the internet for more photos of Les Eduits and come up with a few , but think that the only way to get a full idea of what it is like there is to visit the place . Unfortunately , I can't see myself finding the time to do so in the near future . So there will have to be lots of guess work involved . I don't even have any idea what sort of locos ran on the railway . Other than the single shot of the rusting wreck in the undergrowth that you posted .
     Knowing how good a modeller you are it would be a shame if you didn't do your own version of Les Eduits . A bit of competition should be fun .

Like many other people , I always liked the Rougeault Quarry layout .

I hope you can find time to get back to doing some modelling ,

Nick

shropshire lad

Quote from: artizen on April 14, 2013, 03:16:38 AM
A railway hanging off a cliff.. it must be built, it must be built, it must be built...

Ian ,

Your wish is my command . But don't hold your breath because you might turn a funny colour while you are waiting to see some results ,

Nick

Franck Tavernier

Thank you so much for the kind words Nick...

But I have less and less time for modeling and personal problems  :P :-[ ::) ::) ::) And Les Eduits will have to wait a bit...I will send you an email for further explanation...

Could you possibly tell me why you choose radio control system? to simplify the electrical wiring? You have Batteries in locos?

The sound doesn't seem to interest you with Bernard, is it definitive?

Franck

shropshire lad

Quote from: Franck Tavernier on April 14, 2013, 07:27:22 AM
Thank you so much for the kind words Nick...

But I have less and less time for modeling and personal problems  :P :-[ ::) ::) ::) And Les Eduits will have to wait a bit...I will send you an email for further explanation...

Could you possibly tell me why you choose radio control system? to simplify the electrical wiring? You have Batteries in locos?

The sound doesn't seem to interest you with Bernard, is it definitive?

Franck

Franck ,

I received your email and I understand fully why modelling is not very high on you list of priorities .

To answer your question why I choose radio control system is easy . Because Bernard has developed it over the last two years and it will fit into quite small locos .  The batteries are only about 40mm x 20mm x 4mm and can fit into small spaces . He managed to fit the battery into my O&K by standing it upright on the inside of the cab . Whilst it can be seen , it is not very noticeable . Even more so when I paint it .

I intend starting a new thread on the subject when I have taken some photos .

For me , whilst it might be quite nice , having sound is not very high on my list of priorities . Having something to run the locos on is more important . Although having something sounding like Marcel's loco  is quite appealing . And rather expensive .

Nick

Franck Tavernier

Hi Nick,

Thanks, I understand about radio control...

For my part, when I have again a bit of time, I'll try to put a sound decoder for DCC narrow gauge gas loco, but it will be driven by a pure analogic supply current. The wiring is not a problem for me, and I think the DCC systems are too sophisticated for our little narrow gauge layout ... When you think you can control several tens or even hundreds of locos. This is totally useless for us, at least I think...

Franck

PS : Sorry Mark to speak about that on your post... :-\ ::) ::)

Malachi Constant

Franck --

That is a BEAUTIFUL small layout!  Love the curved front and very subtle changes in ground level and track elevations apparent in the photo reproduced above.  Excellent.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Franck Tavernier

Dallas thank you very much!

We tried with my friend Philippe Cousyn to plan Z-shaped track, which allows you to change level by successive steps, at each change of direction...

Franck

Mobilgas

Franck,   I really like your small layout very nicely done  :D 
Craig

Franck Tavernier

Thanks Craig, but this layout doesn't exist anymore...The layout has been sold...

Franck

finescalerr

I love the layout/diorama. Thank you for posting photos.

Regarding recent developments in R/C: In the past month I have heard from three or four people about it and all are enthusiastic. It would be my personal choice. Track wiring and DCC are cumbersome and no fun for a guy who prefers models to electronics. Cell phones, tablets, and laptop computers have forced industry to develop smaller and longer lasting batteries. I expect that technology to improve and make DCC obsolete. The reports I have had about R/C suggest locomotives run better with it (smoother and more slowly) and battery life is 4 to 6 hours. Battery replacement supposedly is very quick.

About sound: Tiny speakers produce brittle, thin, scratchy, distorted sounds. Rather than compromise the appearance of a nice model by installing an ugly speaker, the use of full size speakers below the track and spaced every few feet would seem preferable. I've seen a layout (by a musician) with such a system and it sounded much less toylike.

Personally, after about 30 seconds I find locomotive sounds disturbing and annoying. They are "out of scale" in every way. Think about that concept -- as modelers rather than disc jockeys for miniature locomotives....

Russ