• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Gas Mechanical Bash

Started by marc_reusser, July 26, 2008, 01:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Well they say "third time's a charm"
The sectional track has always interested me.
May be some in three foot 1/16th scale in my future.
Im thinking of calling it O3n(as in cubed-no way to make the little 3).
Since 1/16 is three times bigger in three directions.
That should confuse the hell out of the railroad dorks!!
I still have all those catalog scans from you of the switches.
Marty

finescalerr

marc_reusser

Thanks guys.

Marty; Sectional track at that scale would be really cool. Especially with your metal working skills.

Didn't get much done today, just getting the base ready for the final steps, and a quick experiment.

DAS is used to create the final ground level and contours.

Example images and quick test piece on a scrap base, to test out the materials to be used, and do a quick check of color and shading. Water and wet/damp areas areas still not complete. It's definitely not a "Duchamp"....but I it is generally headed in the right direction, and where I need it to go.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Alexandre

Texturing of the mud is very interesting and the contrast between dry spots and damp ones is already great looking. (nice footprint too)
I foresee a cool color gradient from the swamp to the dried mud.
No nitpicking to add, unfortunately. This is all over very good and you succeeded in the grass color, green grass is very difficult IMO to realize.

Alexandre

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 22, 2013, 03:55:28 AM
It's definitely not a "Duchamp"....but I it is generally headed in the right direction, and where I need it to go.

I wish I could sell my humble Duchamp as his ready-made...
Could help in some daily life problems... :)

marc_reusser

Thank you kind sir!

The images did come out a bit lighter and warmer. The middle image is closest in color to where it currently is. Yes there will be some more wet/damp and color transition from the puddle upward, I couldnt add it because the coloring are and wet I am using is Eenamel, and the water I am playing with is acrylic....so I need to wait till the water is all in and set, before coming in with the enamel. (last time I tried the other way around, the acrylic lifted/seperated from the enamel surface areas...though that was using that troublesome Vallejo "Still Water"  ;)  )

M-Works

marc_reusser

Attached is a bit of a closer view. The hardest part I was working on here was trying to get that feeling of churned up muddy area, and the hard packed wet earth "path" area that was just beginning to dry on portions of the surface...as well as the damper areas near and under the greenery.....then there was the whole different finish of the sloppy wet mud between the tracks.

All this mud and wetness comes from the water and mud spilling out of the tipper cars.

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Coming along well Marc, certainly a few steps on from the our initial experiments with mud, water and grass.

Become a big fan of Das, the fibrous texture of it comes very useful for a base for this sort of work
Gordon

marc_reusser

Thanks Gordon. Much appreciated.

Yes, agree about the DAS texture. With this method though, most of the DAS is covered, in a manner, with a mix using a Vallejo product as a base/main component.  (We'll talk  ;) )

M-Works

lab-dad

Is the mud/dirt real dirt?

Is the "DAS" the wood putty stuff?

-Marty

marc_reusser

Marty,

I have no idea what the DAS is made of. (I thought it was paossibly papaer pulp of some sort).....its basically the stuff you can buy artstores like Dick Blick. I think that Jerry Kitts uses the stuff for all his rock scenery on his layout.

There is a very small amount of fine sifted dirt and pebbles mixed in...just enough to give the differnt textures. Iunfortunately can't post the mix(es) at this time, as it is for an upcoming article/sidebar on mud.

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

DAS IS UM PAPER
MPH
mostly Paper Myself
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

finescalerr

marc_reusser

Thanks Gil; DAS ist gut.

Thanks Russ. Getting there. :)

M-Works

artizen

Yes the Vallejo products are good. I personally favour black lava as a base for tarseal. The mud and sand textures are useful for ground and wall rendering etc. They also make water products such as still water and extra heavy gel for waves. Trust the military modellers to get all the cool stuff! There is a guy over here in Australia called Simply Glues making an exceptional trowel-on tarseal product called Simply Road Base as well.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia