• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Gas Mechanical Bash

Started by marc_reusser, July 26, 2008, 01:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Thanks for the resources. Will have to look into them. The only Vallejo product I was not thrilled with at all, was the "Still Water", shrinks like nothing else, and hadd some speration issues with it as well.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

artizen

Thanks Marc, you have answered my question (in my mind) of why my surface crackled like fury when I applied it. I thought it had to do with whatever I had previously used under it or the humidity. Eventually I used a two-pack epoxy to make the water which helped fill in some of the cracks!!!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Mr Potato Head

Are you just "smooshing" the DAS into the base? (Technical term)
Or are you using a pallet knife
Thanks, I am working on a similar project and there won't be a lot of room for ballast and I thought this would work better than say spackle.
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

I'm smooshing, wedging and smoothing. I take a piece of DAS and wet it with some water, then knead it onto a flat-ish shape...press it into place...smoosh it around, use a squared-off palette knife and piece of styrene to square it and fit it tight and neat against the ties.......repeat.....and then use a soft squre flat brush, wet with water, to soften and blend everything, and remove finger prints and seams.

M-Works

marc_reusser

Chipped Frame:
Hairspray from can over clear coated base color.
Tamyia light grey-red color mix, thinned with X-20A
Hairspray from can.
Tamiya darker faded red mix, thinned with X-20A
Larger and softer edge areas chipped using Windex shot through airbrush; small and hard edged chips done with brush and water.

Frame after some blending washes with thinned acrylics, pin washes and shading with oil colors, and high-lighting with steel pigment.

Assembled loco with basic weathering steps.....ready for final weathering.

I think we will call this project done. Rest of the weathering to be done/shown elsewhere.

M-Works

Wesleybeks

Bloody hell.

Id be happy to leave it at that and never touch it again. Brilliant stuff Marc.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

marc_reusser

Thanks very much Wesley. I thought about leaving it as well (with just some dust and grease added), but the choice/decision is not mine to make (so to speak).  :)

Marc

M-Works

lab-dad

Marc,
Really nice project.
A lot of folks could learn a great deal about weathering; why, where, location, types, cause & effect.
The different types of "media" are also a wealth of information.
I hope the entire "article" will appear somewhere soon in a theater near me!
Hopefully in English without subtitles. ;D

-Marty

Design-HSB

Hi Marc,
great project that excites me every time.

I need to make more time for my BBA.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Gordon Ferguson

I like that, lots of things & ideas to try and steal. ;)

Especially fond of the wear, colour and patterns around the seat and floor area.

However very worried by the appearance of a Lego brick in your work  :o
Gordon

Ken Hamilton

Wow.....that chipped & worn paint is perfect.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

5thwheel

I like it. Russ have you given thought to replacing the springs with individual leaves? I think it would really make it pop.

Bill
Bill Hudson
Fall down nine times,
get up ten.

shropshire lad

Quote from: 5thwheel on April 29, 2013, 09:46:18 AM
I like it. Russ have you given thought to replacing the springs with individual leaves? I think it would really make it pop.

Bill

Russ ?  What's he got to do with modelling ?

Marc ,

That does it for me . I will have to start my O&K MD2 before long and I shall be imitating mercilessly your red chassis . Obviously it won't be as good , but I'll give it my bestest shot .

Nick

Mr Potato Head

thanks for the DAS lesson
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

BKLN

This is really great! I like your new color choices. - No crazy caricature, just a plausible industrial workhorse!
I am very curious how the rest of your muddy base turns out.