• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Gas Mechanical Bash

Started by marc_reusser, July 26, 2008, 01:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Thanks Kevin,
I heard back from Jeremy and he says he can send me the plans!!! nice guy!

Frank,
I would love the original size photos!
THANKS
No hurry, I wont start for a couple of weeks.
Still not sure what scale, would really like to do 1/16 again.

-Marty

lab-dad

I got the plans and some information from Jeremy!
What a great guy, didnt know me from Adam and sent all the stuff to me.
I am going to print it all out and see what i think.
Once I get the original pics from Frank I will see what I need to do there too.
Next step is to find a good Fordson model.....yea in 1/16....
Once/if I start I will start another thread.
Thanks everyone!
-Marty

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: lab-dad on August 30, 2008, 05:41:21 AM
Frank,
I would love the original size photos!
THANKS
-Marty

Marty I sent the orignal photos on your e-mail address  ;)

Franck

Belg

Guys, I have a small problem when trying to assemble the spoked wheels for a Jordan version of a (HO)tractor I have tried three times and just cannot get them to be perfectly round! Could you suggest a way to proceed? Thanks Pat

lab-dad

Pat,
Some sort of jig would be my recommendation.
Not sure exactly what is involved, but sounds like you need to drill some stepped holes to align the inner and outer wheel.
-Marty

Franck, got the pics, THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marc_reusser

I got to spend my holiday with 12 hours at the workbench, and thus was able to make progress on the loco.

If compared to the photo of the original frame, one can see where I went through and removed all the funky "riveted straps" on the sideframes, the huge bulbous rivets on the end sills and coupler pockets, and some stray (and really sadly cast) bolt details. Nex

• The tops of the sanding boxes were milled down, and caps added
  • The frame under the journal boxes was milled out to more properly represent the slot in which the journals travel
  • The wierd blocky original journals were milled down, and newly detailed including small oiler port covers
  • Bracing was added to the sides of the "spring mounts"
  • New bolt rivet detailin was added at the end sills. As well as matching nuts on the interior side
  • Cast on serial numbers and builders emblem were added to the side-frames, using the Archer "cast" decals
  • An access panel detail was added at each sideframe
  • Angle mounting/gluing strips were added to the inside of the frame for later attachment of the deck

...far from perfect work...and it would probably have been easier/cleaner to build the whole thing from scratch......but it will be fine foe the purpose of the project.

....the thing I came away the happiest/proudest with, was that I was able to perfectly drill out one of the sander fillers, to represent an open one with a missing cap.....that was just pure luck....one wbble of the bit or .001 off, and it would not have happened.   ;D ;D

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

Now I dont feel so bad making my own frame!
I am going to have to get those letters for the next critter.
Love the sand box, really nice detail, a little sand spilled......
Hope you finish this one!
-Marty

marc_reusser

Yeah...but my frame is only about 2.5" long  ;) ;D...I'm not quite as nuts as you.

The Archer casting marks are pretty cool. They are basically water-slide decals, that just have raised printing on them. Many of the numbers and symbols on the sheet relate to specific armor items, but half the sheet is just individual letters and numbers in a couple of different sizes. The also have a sheet of "Rivets" which I bought at the same time, they look pretty cool...but I have yet to try them. They would work great for say HO, or areas of thinner sheet metal in O scale and larger...i may try and use them on the cab area of this loco.

QuoteHope you finish this one!

My good man....are you impuning my completion record!...I dare say, that I did finish the last Gas-Mech critter (albeit it took a couple of years)...and were it not for the convention, I would have been able to finish the FMW cars  ::);D.....

I actually am trying to get this one done in pretty short order, as I want to use it for the MIG "color modulation" thread/experiment. Unfortunately there is just a lot of rework. Next comes prepping the frame for the drive unit, and then continuing corrections and modifications on the bonnet.  I also have not quite decided on aspects/shape/layout of the drivers compartment.

M

M-Works

finescalerr

Maybe the photo fails to do it justice but the resin frame looks rather crude, especially in comparison to what you typically fashion from styrene. Once you have completed the detail and primed the thing it probably will look infinitely better. At the moment, though, it resembles a Jahrlsburg cheese carving with nice added detail. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Quote from: finescalerr on September 03, 2008, 01:56:18 AM
.....the resin frame looks rather crude, especially in comparison to what you typically fashion from styrene. Once you have completed the detail and primed the thing it probably will look infinitely better.  -- Russ

We can only hope, because with the hours already into this thing, that scratchbuild ship has sailed.  ;D ;D ;D

Quotehttp://At the moment, though, it resembles a Jahrlsburg cheese carving with nice added detail. -- Russ

I prefer to think of it as a nice "Dubliner" or "Gouda"  ;D

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

Tonight was the night of "The Resin Milling".......

Since when done, I may decide to sell this thing on ebay, or give it to someone, I figured I had better make this thing DCC or RC adaptable/ready, so I roughly milled ou the inside of the solid resin bonnet so that it can house a DCC or RC receiver and wiring. The small extra notches at the sides are to clear the wire connection tabs on the "Balck Beetle" mechanism that will be used for motorization.

The Inside of the frame/journal boxes was also milled out to allow for the slight remaining axle extensions and and possible wheel-play of the 'B-B' mechanism. Styrene front braces and shim/spacers for the B-B mechanism mave also been installed on the underside of the deck.

Lastly, I was finally able to decide on the "cab" style. These photos show the proposed shape/design mock-up made using some cut up strathmore business cards. (the cab deck is missing.) This design will require me to shorten the bonnet by approx. 2mm....which will be my next step.

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

BTW....these are a couple of the images that I am using as inspiration for my Gas Mech.

Marc

M-Works

lab-dad

What is the world coming to?
Marc builds a loco that "may" run on its own power?!?!

Looking better all along.
Kinda cool you got your little helper to hold the cab firewall.
At least you found a use for all those business cards!
What will you be making the cab out of?

-Mj

marc_reusser

Thanks Marty,

Yea every now  and then the little dude is sober enough to help out.... though as you can see, he's not pleased that at the moment the radiator is extending past the pilot.

It "will" be able to run.....if the next owner installs the supplied/accompanyong Black-Beetle (and their own DCC decoder if they chose such.)

I was toying with the idea of making it out of sheet brass and some brass rod...at least the rear section (the front has enough baacking/stability that it can be styrene)....but since I really suck at brass/soldering, and there will need to be a good amount of detailing associated/attached to, this part, I am really considering using .010 styrene for it....I need to play around a bit though, to see whether I can get a good/clean enough bends at the corners using warm-water softened styrene pressed into a jig, or whether I need to vacuum form the shape.

Marc

M-Works