• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Gas Mechanical Bash

Started by marc_reusser, July 26, 2008, 01:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

So....nothing like stripping and starting over for the third time.....just for the fun of it.  ::)

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

mad gerald

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 18, 2013, 03:44:47 AM
So....nothing like stripping and starting over for the third time.....
... you did WHAT? ... ???  :o

marc_reusser

Yeah...decided I wanted it to be adifferent color.....am thinking Grey uppers w/red lower.

M-Works

mad gerald

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 18, 2013, 03:53:46 AM
Yeah...decided I wanted it to be adifferent color.....am thinking Grey uppers w/red lower.
... ahhhh ... that makes quite a difference ... and I almost thought you made a preposterous decision basically caused of a rush of adrenaline, haste or maybe just cause you have lost your conkers ...  ;D  ::)

Gordon Ferguson

Nearly 5 years in and it's now back to primer ............... Makes me feel a bit better about some of mine ;)

The radical change in colour  will be worth watching develop .................

Over next few years ;D
Gordon

Chuck Doan

What do you use to strip off the paint? I'm preparing for my own do-overs.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

shropshire lad

I suggest you paint it with water colours so that it'll be easier to strip next time !

Barney

HUMBROL RULES and Mr Muscle oven cleaner always gets it off !!
Barney
with tank grey nostrils.

finescalerr

Marc, you've lost your mind again. But all this gives me an idea: Do you think I could strip off my finish and rebuild myself without weathering? -- Russ

marc_reusser

Chuck; I used Iso Alchohol and a soft brush.......came of real easy. Also stripped 2 side tip cars that were painted with Floquil..no proble.

Quote from: gfadvance on February 18, 2013, 05:13:52 AM

Over next few years ;D

On the contrary.......I believe my deadline is June. AAAAAAAUGH!

...when is your dead-line, boy-o?

Russ.......some things are better left as curious relics, than restored and glossed over with a coat of paint.

M-Works

Franck Tavernier

Mark, even unpainted, I still love your little gas loco  ;)

He is so cute!

Franck

marc_reusser

Thanks Franck!

Was shooting rust on the Daihatsu, so I threw this in while I was at it.

Rust toned base coat: Water, Ground Sea Salt, 4-Colors, Windex and 40 mins.

M-Works

marc_reusser

In case anyone is interested:

.....here is basically what I do/did.

Apply a dark solid base color over primer. Forthe base you can use the a 50/50 mix of the AK "Chipping Color" and "Shadow Rust", or a mix of Tamiya "Brown", "Black" and Yellow"......or whatever suits your taste.

When fully dry dampen or slightly wet the surface with a wide flat brush...this may take a few repeated strokes, to get the surface to wet evenly. Try not to have water pool in corners or around details.

Sprinkle ground sea salt in somewhat randomly...or in the pattern you want/need. (a small scoop can help place the salt more precisely if needed). I grind my sea salt in a salt grinder, and then grind it a little bit more with a mortar & pestle, to git more smaller (in scale) grains, and more variety.

You will likely not be a ble to wet and apply the salt over the entire model in one round. I break my models down into sections, until the model is covered as desired.

I prefer a different tonal variation than that straight from the set, so I mix a one of the daker tones with the next light one down (anywhere from 50/50 to 60/40)....I am working from dark colors toward light.

I roughly apply the first mix over the entire piece in a thin coat (I shoot at about 18-20 psi). Some salt will blow of, but not a big deal. I empty the AB cup, quick rinse with rag and Windex, put next color into AB...(Depending on how I feel, and how much salt is still on the model, I may lightly tap an edge or underside with a brush handle so some additional salt pieces fall off and expose the dark base tone).....Then shoot this second color in a somewhat random thin coat...but also if necessary keeping in mind where what rust tones might be desired on the final model..& if needed, what kind of oxidezed metal will be exposed in the final. I repeat the paint step one more time with tha last/lightes color mix.

I let the model dry for a couple of minutes while I clean/rinse the AB, and put the paints away, then take a soft 1/2" (1,25cm) wide brush,...and working over a small bowl of water....will dip the brush into the water, and use it to wash away the salt on the model. This wash seems to not only help remove the salt without scratching the surface or leaving behind a residue, but it also seems to ever so slighty soften some of the color edges, and remove any paint/overspray that is not fully adhered...thus givining some additional shading/variation to some of the rust tones.

Sorry this post was so long winded...tried to be thorough...it's much easier and faster than it looks. (I could probably have painted it in the time it took me to write this  )

M-Works

mad gerald

Quote from: marc_reusser on March 02, 2013, 11:06:46 PM
In case anyone is interested:
... definitely absolutely ...  8)

As I have not tried the salt technique yet I always wondered, if it would work as well whilst applying colour with a brush or sponge, as I don't have an airbrush ...  ???

Cheers

Chuck Doan

Thanks for that Marc, I will be needing to do something like that soon.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/