• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Gas Mechanical Bash

Started by marc_reusser, July 26, 2008, 01:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Thanks Gordon!

So decided I was out of time and needed to get moving on this build (only have about 18 days to finish). Used the AB chipping technique fom my two experiments for this. Result is so-so (more practice needed)....but think it will work just fine for the final project need/subject. other than the chipping, only a quick application of some AK "Dark Shading Grey" oils color, and one of the AK dark washes was used....also a mix of dark grey/brown/black pigments, and Abt502 "Engine Grease", and AK "Engine Grime", was used around/on the transmission box.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

I like the colors/textures on the transmission.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

hey mark
really nice finish.i have just come across your posting on the on the bachmann  1-35 conversion.
i liked it so much that i have bought the gas mechanial plus detail kit from backwood minitures,i want to make mine1-32 scale.
kind regards kim

marc_reusser

Thank you Ray.

Thanks Kim. My Bmann conversion is actually 1/32, (don't tell Mr. Potato Head, or I'll never hear the end of it).......it worked out better to that scale than to 1/35.  Look forward to seeing what you do with yours.

M

M-Works

finescalerr

Marc, if you painted that superstructure in Europe then you are not only a genius but a magician. I assume you have returned home, therefore you are merely a genius. Most satisfactory.

Warning to Kim: Even if you have had no problem up to now, Backwoods Miniatures' owner is, uh, "integrity challenged". A word to the wise should be sufficient. I continue to warn people I like to avoid that wolf in sheep's clothing. (I would prefer to describe him -- perhaps "it" would be more fitting -- in more colorful terms but some of you already may think me the villain for what I have written. If that is your opinion let me assure you, you are completely wrong.)

Russ

Mr Potato Head

FYI
MPH only has eyes!
But he's having an AU-HA moment
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

mabloodhound

I had pre ordered 2 items before the Springfield show, which Backwoods then brought over with him.   Purchasing the kits from him seemed to go well.
However, from Russ' experience there is good reason to be cautious.

Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Malachi Constant

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 11, 2013, 03:52:02 PM
So decided I was out of time and needed to get moving on this build (only have about 18 days to finish). Used the AB chipping technique fom my two experiments for this. Result is so-so (more practice needed)....but think it will work just fine for the final project need/subject.
Well, I'm looking forward to taking the time to practice enough to reach this level of "so-so" results ... and would be damned pleased to get there!

But, go ahead and criticize the crap out of your own work, perfect it, show us how it should "really" be done ... and frustrate the crap out of the rest of us when we finally reach the "so-so" level and find out it's not enough!  ;D

Damn it, man ... I'm inspired!  So, screw your disappointment, I'll take it!  ;D
-- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Franck Tavernier

Nice painting job Mark as always!

I like the chipped paint effect, rust color...But I'm a little bit surprised by the color base, this kind of "desert yellow" is instead rare for a  gas loco paint...

This color is closer to a T55 used during the Gulf War... ;) ;D ;D ;D ::) ::)

Franck

Chuck Doan

I'm just glad to see activity on this again.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

narrowgauger

hi Russ

nice to see that someone else has had the courage to provide a "heads up" on Backwoods.  From experience on many models from that source where it has been necessary to fix a mess that should not have been in the first place I can speak from personal experience.

never nice when one's commercial ideas are stolen.

Marc,

that loco would be absolutely fabulous on a chassis that operates at scale speed, battery powered and RC controlled.  I am sure that Sir Nick will expound the virtues of custom built chassis & RC power as soon as his feet hit the ground again.  we managed to build 3 chassis, and a complete loco in 2 days a few weeks ago.  Your wonderful painting & weathering deserves it

Stay cool
Bernard

1-32

for items like this i always use e bay or the like.i shopped around and got the items half retail.the detail kit has many useful items ,pity the louvers are not see through.there is a muffler it will have to be re -worked as is it has not been well thought  out but lets face it ,it is going to be fun.
kind regards kim

1-32

hey bernard
please post some photoes so we can all see what you are talking about
regards kim

marc_reusser

Thank you for all the kind comments.

Franck;
Thankfully the color does come across more "yellow"  in the images than it is in real (it is a grey paint color). I think it is partially a chromatic abberation of the wash that was applied, to try and represent the yellow brown shading one gets when grey sheet metal is rubbed down with an oily rag....part of it is also the beige undercoat of the grey that I did to try and create an old mottled paint look. 

The yellowish tint could prove trpublesome...though hopefully not....as this loco will be receiving a very heavy coat and acculmulation of dust and dried mud. Have some brickwork locos that I am using for reference.

Frank,
Dont think there is room for DCC or RC in this.....barely enough room for the Black Beetle drive.  :)  ...and unfortunately, nobody has a 1/35 layout where it could find an eventual home.

I concur with Kim, I too would love to see more of your wonderful locos.

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 12, 2013, 09:25:32 PM
...and unfortunately, nobody has a 1/35 layout where it could find an eventual home.

Boy, do I think you are going to regret that little throw away remark ! :D

I have, so I am claiming first place in the line.

Bernard, having been fortunate enough to see your work at Nick's I to would hope you will post more details & pics of your work

Gordon