• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Gas Mechanical Bash

Started by marc_reusser, July 26, 2008, 01:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

I have no freakin' idea what to say here, but I'm enjoyin' the hell outta the ride! -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 30, 2008, 07:52:08 PM
I would actually consider that (once it's painted though).....the problem is that I need to start stockpiling finised models for the 2013 NNGC, which is here in Pasadena. I figure if I enter everything I built from when I started modeling up until then, say about 10 models, I might have a chance at a third place.  ;D

Marc

Was reading through this thread trying to find some Info  on the brake lever and noticed the above ........ Note when originally posted........ Long term planing combined with superb timing  ;D ;D ;D
Gordon

Peter_T1958

Just great! And he does that quite coolly...

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 29, 2013, 02:55:54 AM
Chipped Frame:
Hairspray from can over clear coated base color.
Tamyia light grey-red color mix, thinned with X-20A
Hairspray from can.
Tamiya darker faded red mix, thinned with X-20A
Larger and softer edge areas chipped using Windex shot through airbrush; small and hard edged chips done with brush and water

Just to understand right. This subtle chipping (red circle) you did with "Windex shot through airbrush"?
(Hmm.. according to Google, Windex is a glass and hard-surface cleaner???)

Regards, Peter

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" -Leonardo Da Vinci-

https://industrial-heritage-in-scale.blogspot.ch/

marc_reusser

Thank you all very much for the kind works and comments. All of you have really been a great and constant source of inspirtation, support, and chellenging me to try harder and do better...so the thanks is really goes to you.  :)

Marty; I dont think I took enough SBS images during the painting steps to create a useful article on this, however..and if it is not a total disaster, the subsequent heavy mud and dirt effects should be in the next AK Weathering mag.

Gordon; Yes, those Lego bricks, they're kind of like "Tribbles" or white mice...starts with one, and soon they are all over the place.

QuoteWas reading through this thread trying to find some Info  on the brake lever and noticed the above ........ Note when originally posted........ Long term planing combined with superb timing

Maybe its just the cunning and crotchety-ness that comes with old age. Brake lever I believe was a modified 1/48 brass casting from PSC (Precision Scale Company)

Dallas; No need to say anything...but I do believe you have a gas mech that you are supposed to be working on.  ;D ;D

Peter: Yes, you are correct. The seat, cab floor, and upper edges of the cab panels were all done in the same way.

Once both layers of HS and paint are on, I load the AB with Windex, and carefully begin to literally blast the paint off. I vary between letting the windex flow, and using only air....working pretty darn close to the surface at about 20 psi. I try to keep moving, and not stay in one spot too long, because it can eventually wear through the clear and finish, down to the primer. Some areas, I will try/want to only remove the top layer/color of HS and paint others I go through both layers. You do need to practice/experiment a bit, because if yo are not used to it, when blowing across details such as the top of the flat buffers for instance, the spray gets deflected off to the sides, and can creat a line where the paint is removed from the overspray pressure....so you need to keep this in mind.

Warning note...you do not want to hold the part in your hands when doing this approach, as the paint gets softened where the excess windex flows/runs, and you will leave fingerprints or damage the paint, if you touch the wet areas before they dry again.

Still trying to refine it and figure out what all can be done. This is a variation of a technique that Gert Mertens of KMK, lovingly whispered in my ear at the Heiden show  :); he apparently does it with Tamiya or LifeColor paint mixed with water for the paint application, and then uses the AB loaded with water to remove the paint. I was not able to get that down quite as well, or get the same effects....plus I like to use the X20A for thinning....so I decided to try the Windex.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Franck Tavernier

Nice job Mark!

I like the red paint effect on the frame, maybe some changes from red to pink would have been very interresting ... But the chassis is also very much like that!

Franck

marc_reusser

Franck,
Yes, a more sibtle transition in some areas, or more fding on the red, would have been great. I was considering doing this with oil paints (pink, buff, and white).....but in the end decided to omit it, along with some other weathering effects, due to time constraints, and because so much of this will not be visible under/through the final weathering.
The unerlying chipping ccolor...the pinkish tone is a lso vey tricky to work with......I didn't have enough time to play with this, because when I went any lighter, or more grey, as many of the images show, the sontrast and transition quickly became very haarsh and jarring......this is where more layering and fading of the upper coats would have helped....but this quickly anded up creating too heavy of a paint layer to effectively chip...I tried a couple of times and washed them off again........this was my compromise. :)

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

narrowgauger

Hi Marc,

you mean a red chassis something like this one.

have fun
BernardS

finescalerr

Marc, I'm glad to see you finally seem to be getting the hang of all this.

Sorry for a belated post. Young Scarlett and I have been out of town for a few days.

Russ

P.S.: Nick, go stand in the corner.

Bill76

Very nice variations in colors. Well done.

Georges.

Chuck Doan

Thanks for the info! Seems like there is always something new to try.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

shropshire lad

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: narrowgauger on April 29, 2013, 04:29:09 PM
Hi Marc,

have fun
BernardS

Or like this... ;D ;D ;D ;)

shropshire lad

Quote from: Franck Tavernier on May 01, 2013, 02:42:43 AM
Quote from: narrowgauger on April 29, 2013, 04:29:09 PM
Hi Marc,

have fun
BernardS

Or like this... ;D ;D ;D ;)

This is the loco by which all others are judged .

And the bounder Franck went and sold it before I got a look in . Pah !

Franck Tavernier

Thank you for this very kind word, but it is no longer quite true today ... This model was painted in 2001. Today there are other techniques, such as Hairspray, which offer many more possibilities, and more realistic!

Sorry Nick! But at the time I needed money ... ;D ;D ;D

Franck

finescalerr

Stop being so modest, Franck. Your loco still would rank among the very top models in its class. -- Russ