• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/35 Gas Mechanical Bash

Started by marc_reusser, July 26, 2008, 01:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: finescalerr on May 04, 2013, 02:46:32 PM
That's a beautiful model, Franck. I want to scratchbuild the model in my plans because I've actually seen one like it, because it's from an earlier era (when jazz was popular), and because I like to create things. But I hope any model I might build would look as good as yours!
Russ

Russ, your plan is very nice, and I also love it! Is it a freelance design model inspired by differents Plymouth models ? It is very similar to 8 tons DL model...

I agree with you about the full construction, but it is also very time consuming! Thank you for my models, but I try to do better with each new model ... ;)

My last model built last year ... Inspired by the Plymouth, RLD type...

Franck

finescalerr

Outstanding model, Franck.

About my drawing: It should be a(n almost) perfect side view of a DL. The cab may be off very slightly because I have no precise dimensions and because the locomotives I used for reference might not have unmodified cabs. The original dimensions were estimates I made from studying photos. Then I saw Bob Poli's scratchbuilt 1:20.3 model of a West Side 8 ton Plymouth and I asked him for plans. He sent not only a photocopy of the original drawing but dozens of photos of the West Side Plymouth. The original drawing is from field measurements of the West Side loco. I can't remember who drew his plan.

As it turned out, my original dimensions were almost perfect. I was off no more than 2 or 3 inches in only a couple of places and everything else was dead on (except, as I explained, for the cab; the West Side rebuilt the cab on its Plymouth and I want a stock model).

I feel confident that my completed drawing very accurately will illustrate a stock catalog model. But if anybody has information, I will try to incorporate it into my final version.

Russ

Franck Tavernier

Russ,

Thanks for the kind words about my model  ;)

About the DL type, a drawing appeared in the Narrow Gauge Gazette a few months ago ... I have plans for the DL type from the book compiled by James S. Eakin, I would send by mp ...

Maurice Field has made a kit in 1:48 of the DL type, and kit for the DL of the West Side...

Franck

artizen

The Plymouth DL is one thug-ugly locomotive!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

marc_reusser

Franck, I really like the brutish, functinoal look of your loco.

Do you have a link to where one can buy the DL kit by Maurice.....web search didn't yield anything.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

danpickard

Marc,
I believe Maurice Field is behind "Buffalo Landing", who also make the nice set of Westside 1/48 figures. 
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/O-On3-or-On30-1-48-scale-figures-Workmen-Set-of-5-NUMBER-2-/161018366396?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item257d7149bc
These are the figures he does, and I think I've occasionally seen one of the Plymouth kits listed.  Not sure that he has a website as such, but you might be able to contact him via the eBay "ask seller a question" thing to try and get more details.

Dan

Malachi Constant

Pull back on this image a bit (ie, not cropped quite so closely) ... and it would make a great triangular diorama ... with the show walls framing two sides of the triangle ... Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Franck Tavernier

Marc, Dan gave the answer! You can oder it directly to Maurice.

maurice.field@papertiger.co.nz

You can find these kits also here:

http://www.interhobmodels.com/

Franck

MASIGMON

In the Nov/Dec 2010 Narrow Gauge Gazette Bob Poli told how he scratch built is West Side Plymouth in 1:20.3 scale
He did write that he had recieved drawings from Maurice Fields to help with the building of the Plymouth.
Bob also advised he too had trouble doing the "Raised Lettering" on the sides & radiator.  He contacted Doug Bronson @ Bronson & Tate (www.bronson-tate.com).  Doug made the letters from old card stock that Bob ACC'd on to the required areas.
I too have used Doug to burn out some windows for me in 1:20.3

Mike Sigmon
Jacksonville, Fl

Chuck Doan

The prototype has been nicely restored to fully operating condition at the Nevada County RR museum.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: marc_reusser on May 05, 2013, 04:26:30 PM
Franck, I really like the brutish, functinoal look of your loco.
Marc

Marc,

Sometimes reality surpasses modeling!

Franck

billmart

Franck - Thanks for posting the Whitcomb photos.  Little four-wheeled critters like that are my favorite model subjects.  I particularly like these photos since they show a small industrial loco that is still in service.  So many of the photos of industrial critters either show them after sitting outside for 30 years with no maintenance, or beautifully restored with nearly perfect paint.  I'm always looking for photos of little IC critters that show they have been used, but not abused.

Bill Martinsen

marc_reusser

Ok, Frank, Gordon, et al (and some of you that I included even though you didn't ask..like Dallas, Alexandre, Russ, Gerald...)....I uploaded the file to WeTransfer. You should get an email notification with instructions on how to download it.

The download consists of a zipped RAR file, it contains about 1600 feldbahn and industrial related images. Size of the file is 169MB. (I suggest you do not try downloading it to a "tablet/pad" unless you are sure you have enough free space, you know the tablet can work with ZIP or RAR files, and you have a really good WI-FI connection.)

I will still have the RAR file on my desktop for a couple of days before I delete it, so if some of you other guys want a copy as well.....you will need to message me your emailMarc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Thanks for putting that together, Marc!  Lots of great material there.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

mad gerald

Marc,
Quote from: marc_reusser on May 07, 2013, 02:35:02 AM
Ok, Frank, Gordon, et al (and some of you that I included even though you didn't ask..like Dallas, Alexandre, Russ, Gerald...)....I uploaded the file to WeTransfer ...
... Thanks a lot for including me as well ... I already was going to ask, but finally forgot about it ...  ::)

Cheers

Gerald